cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Self Check-in when the office is closed

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in Mammoth Lakes last weekend and noticed the sign at the RV park "Unregistered guests, pick up the yellow envelop and check in the next morning at 9:00am". How popular is self check-in at RV Parks?

The next time I arrive late after the office is closed, even if there are no "self check-in" sign, can I just pick a spot and stay overnight. Pay in the morning when the office opens?

thanks
15 REPLIES 15

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often there is a message board near the office with packets for late arrivals with reservations as well as a list of unreserved and available sites. Usually you can find after hour check in directions.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often there is a message board near the office with packets for late arrivals with reservations as well as a list of unreserved and available sites. Usually you can find after hour check in directions.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've done that a few times. Pull in, check at the office for their after hours routine, find a spot, and put money in the envelope. It has never been a problem.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully those sites that are already reserved has a sign of some sort. Have even seen DO NOT CROSS tape up haha...

Lots of sites around here are self check in. Money goes in a slot inside a HD round steel post in the ground...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If I know I am checking in late, Iโ€™ll typically call ahead and find out what the process is.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We run into this a lot because of how and where we typically travel. We have left fees and donations in slots lots of places. The best was a little village campground somewhere in Nebraska that I think asked asked for a donation, but there was no means to leave it anywhere. Jeez folks, the nice shaded (but smallish) sites with a table, water and 30A (there was a dump available). I had to get on the web to look up the mailing address of the village office to mail them a check.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I stayed at a self serve private CG once. Might have been in Alpine, TX or close by.
Also at Dessert View CG at Grand Canyon NP. We were there for a week and saw tent and car campers abuse the self serve several times. In after dark, and out early the next morning before the Host made his rounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got a ticket in the mail. We volunteered in national parks and the campsites are observed at all hours of the night by rangers and early morning by the host. The license plate is recorded and if they didn't pay they got a ticket.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi SDcampowneroperator,

As usual, you take the high ground. Kudos to you.

I arrived at my current location before the office was open. I went to register as soon as they were open (3 p.m.). I was asked THREE times if I had pulled in the night before. I did NOT like it--but they are "the only game in town". I stood my ground. They seem to be incredibly disorganized. If there were another location, I'd be in it.

SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Honor amongst campers is not a rare attribute. Whenever someone mistakenly is in a reserved site, I suspect the camp board was not clear on available sites for duration of visit.

We have had those who sneak in way late leave very early. Its very rare. Caught some. Their issues are usually just needing a safe place to sleep, did not use services. Legally, its theft of service, trespass. Morally if it did not impact our other guests, iability or cost to the property we treat it as a public service to the disadvantaged who seek safety amongst numbers.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oregon SP make use of self registration during the fall, winter, and spring at many parks. Some parks have a non reservation loop where you can take a spot for as many as 14 days. In the reservation loops, if not reserved for that night you can have it for that night. This allows rangers to work on winter maintenance projects rather than sit in a booth waiting to check in campers. If you use Reserve America, about two weeks before your arrival you will receive an email with a link to a document that serves as your window hang tag.
The SRE (Self Registration Envelope) allows the use of Cash, check, or Credit Card.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Honor amongst campers is not a rare attribute. Whenever someone mistakenly is in a reserved site, I suspect the camp board was not clear on available sites for duration of visit.

We have had those who sneak in way late leave very early. Its very rare. Caught some. Their issues are usually just needing a safe place to sleep, did not use services. Legally, its theft of service, trespass. Morally if it did not impact our other guests, iability or cost to the property we treat it as a public service to the disadvantaged who seek safety amongst numbers.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a self serve private CG once. Might have been in Alpine, TX or close by.
Also at Dessert View CG at Grand Canyon NP. We were there for a week and saw tent and car campers abuse the self serve several times. In after dark, and out early the next morning before the Host made his rounds.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE run into it once in awhile, as said, most of the time you just find a site and see the office people in the morning. I recall once in east CA we found the office closed until 2 PM and we were not waiting that late so we left the money with one of the residents. Hopefully it made it to the right spot.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know parks have different systems for self check in. PA State Parks Have a listing on a bulletin board of the sites that are already booked, so make sure you choose a site that isn't booked. Just because it's empty doesn't mean it isn't taken. I showed up after dark to a site I had booked on line 6 months earlier, only to find someone in my site who didn't know the system. He just picked one that was empty. Had a fire going and his tent set up and everything. He wasn't thrilled when I asked him to please move, but I didn't really have much choice. There weren't other sites that would accommodate my trailer. That's WHY I booked that specific site 6 months prior.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes just pick a spot, and some times were gone before they open, leave money a slot.