cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Semi-perminant location

titan92
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for a small plat of land; 3-10 acres within a 2 hour drive of my house (the closer the better) where I can build a pole barn and have our camper running 24/7. Ideally I'd like to use it as a weekend retreat for my family to hunt, ride dirt bikes, etc. I've found a few pieces of land that appear to fit what I'm looking for but they frown upon me putting a camper on it. So that means I'm now searching for property not in or around a subdivision, but I don't want anything in a traditional RV community either.

I've got my eye on 6 acres that has a condemned manufactured home. I'd destroy the home, but I love the fact it has power and water/septic ready to go. At this point I'm thinking this may be my best route.

I'd be curious to see what everyone else does in situations like this.

Does anyone know of any RV communities that offer 3+ acres? If not, I wonder if there is a market there...
6 REPLIES 6

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
titan92 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Kind of depressing results however. I don't intend on 'living' in the RV but that all determines on the county's zoning laws. Maybe a couple of nights a month. Screven and Jenkins is a bit far for me, but I will consider. My long term goal is to use the property to build a home the wife and I will use in retirement.Thanks again!

I found it depressing too. They equate any type of 'use' as 'living' in it. And if you have ANY human beings that can see the property THEY will be the ones to call zoning on you.

One bit of good news for you is if you buy property to 'build a house' and have applied for the permits......many counties DO allow you to park and live in an RV for a certain designated time on the property while the house is being built.

Albeit this is usually the case 'only' if the property is rural.
I've yet to see subdivison zoning ever allow it!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

titan92
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Kind of depressing results however. I don't intend on 'living' in the RV but that all determines on the county's zoning laws. Maybe a couple of nights a month. Screven and Jenkins is a bit far for me, but I will consider. My long term goal is to use the property to build a home the wife and I will use in retirement.

Thanks again!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what property you find you will still have to find what the zoning laws are for that county if they allow an RV to be parked on it. You are going to find that most do not. And almost all that allow RV 'parking' on residential property will not let you 'live' in the RV.

And regarding the property you are looking at now with the tear down manufactured home? If you are thinking of flying under the zoning wire with your RV on that one. Don't get real excited. The electric company comes out to hook up the electric and they are required to report back to the zoning. If its a tear down they will not supply you with power when you call to have it turned on in your name. They will tell you you have to bring it up to code first. AND they no longer will feed to a pole on an empty lot. I tried that and it didn't fly. They have changed a lot over the years regarding power and zoning.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
First step is to find out why the condemned house was condemned. Maybe those utilities you're counting on using weren't installed properly. Won't be hard to check with the local zoning board. Having served on a zoning commisssion, I've seen it happen.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the end I would think the neighbors would have more problems with the dirt bikes than the camper, especially if it's inside the pole barn. If you go for the condemned place, get a perk test done the septic system before hooking up to it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what part of Georgia you are looking at.
I do see a lot in Screven and Jenkins counties doing exactly that, so maybe there are not county regulations against it. Also in SC in Jasper and Beaufort counties I see the same, acres with only an RV on it, some have pole barns and some do not.
You can get land dirt cheap in those two counties in GA, Jenkins at one time had the highest unemployment in the nation, so plenty of cheap land for sale.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab