cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbird routes south from Mi.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is probably a routes question but I know many snowbirds like ourselves travel I-75 S. to our winter destinations.
We are leaving Mi 11/28 headed for our destination of Williston Fl. ( near Gainsville. Our 1st overnight will be Kentucky Horse Pk. ( near Lexington KY ) Our next stop is the mystery . I plan to bypass Atlanta by going 27 to alt 27 to 16 and back on 75 . I could go through Atlanta but Timing is everything there If I don't get there between 10 AM an 2 PM the traffic would be a mess.
So to my question. Does anyone have suggestions about overnite camping near Atlanta or along the bypass route. Atlanta is about 350 or so miles from our 1 st night. I can go a little more or a little less than the 350 miles but I don't want the Atlanta traffic at the end of my day. Any help is appriciated.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
7 REPLIES 7

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback.
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
Dog Trainer,
How was the Alltoona Lake McKinney campground?
Randu

We made it to our destination in great shape. We stayed the 1st night at Ky Horse park a great place to stay. They had a theme called Southern lights there were literally hundreds of thousands of lights decorating the park we got there about 4:30 so had the evening to enjoy the show.
Mckiney campground on Altoona lake was beautiful We arrived there early again about 4:30 we stayed in a pull through right on the lake a very pretty sight. We took our time and did not leave the park until almost 10 am we were able to drive straight thru Atlanta with no stopping thru the city. Some back up N. of Atlanta where the bypass branches off.
BTW if anyone is going to Mckiney Campground do not follow your GPS it might take you to the north side of Altoona off Exit 293. Instead print off the driving directions from the web site and follow them. You will exit south around exit 278 if I remember right. This is not a well marked rte from I-75 but this campground is well worth the trip.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer,
How was the Alltoona Lake McKinney campground?
Randu
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
US Army Corps of Engineers - Alltoona Lake McKinney campground.
Beautiful place that will become a must stop for a few nights down and back from Florida. 30 miles north of Atlanta. I spent 1/2 a day in the spring exploring campgrounds near I-75 north of Atlanta as have friends that live in Kennasaw/ Accworth area. This was about the only one with nice sizes sites for larger rigs.

McKinney campground

Randu

thank you for the quick response. The McKinney campground is perfect As I am a disabled vet and senior, it is not only cheap but looks quite nice. I had no idea it was there. We have stayed at a few of the Corp of engineer camps and have always had great sites. Thanks again our reservations are made and we will be headed south in a short time.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just looking for an overnight, Harvest Moon RV Park in Adairsville, GA is a nice enough place to stop. about 45 minutes north of Atlanta. Close to I-75, but not too close.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
If you just want an overnight, I stayed at a Flying J just south of Atlanta, on I-75, one year. Had to stay there longer than I wanted because of a tornado in Marietta, but it was a good place for a short stopover.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
US Army Corps of Engineers - Alltoona Lake McKinney campground.
Beautiful place that will become a must stop for a few nights down and back from Florida. 30 miles north of Atlanta. I spent 1/2 a day in the spring exploring campgrounds near I-75 north of Atlanta as have friends that live in Kennasaw/ Accworth area. This was about the only one with nice sizes sites for larger rigs.

McKinney campground

Randu
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3