cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowdocking in the Sierra: are there ungated areas?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have developed a taste for mild snow boondocking -- nothing extreme, just a nice blanket of snow and cool temps. (For folks suffering through this winter back East, no, we are not crazy -- the snow provides a welcome contrast to day after day of sunny, dry, dull California weather.)

The problem we have encountered is that during the winter months, the Forest Service locks the gates to almost all of the high altitude forest roads. This is understandable -- they don't want unwary city folks to get trapped out there. But we are wary city folks, and we are comfortable about taking care of ourselves in a little bit of snow -- we watch the forecast, we have chains for the truck and the trailer, we have a winch and tools, we can get unstuck, etc.

So that is my question -- without identifying any specific boondocking sites, are there general areas in the Western US where we could get into the snow without breaking the rules? Obviously, this winter is history; but I am looking ahead to next year.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. May have to talk the little woman into a Sunday drive.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
As of yesterday (Tuesday) the gate on Century Drive ("North") is still closed at Bachelor. I saw plenty of snow mobilers staging there and -zero- plowing had been done on the gated road, AFAICT. Didn't get a close look at snow depth since I was speeding past on a mission.

As said previously, there is virtually no snowpack even a mile or so down the road from there (~5000 to 5500 ft). Higher elevation (~7000+ ft) snowpack is decent (~50% normal), and continues to build with the more favorable weather pattern in place. South-facing slopes with full sun are said to have only a light dusting of recent snow over bare ground.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't driven up there yet, but the gate on S. Century drive is, supposedly, open and you can get to Elk Lake (snowmobiler can't get in there so they need the revenue). Most likely, you can get back to Hosmer Lake too....but you best check before driving up.
N. Century is still closed at Bach., to the best of my knowledge. But it's easy enough to check with the Forest Service ...... or look at trip check to verify. With the non-existant snowpack this year, it shouldn't be long before it opens though.

Steve

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
If Bachelor is as good as it gets on the West Coast, that's pretty sad. BUT, if they get the forecast 8 - 12" tonight, that will help (still not worth it IMO). And the new Kapka Butte Snowpark (at 5900') is a pretty good place to camp. (Swing by and I'll even give you my 2015 Snowpark Permit as I doubt I will bother to use it again this season.)

For those of you that know the area, the southern part of the Cascades Lakes Hwy is now open to Elk Lake.
Thanks for that info. Any gates open?
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocmoc, thanks for that tip -- I had no idea!!
About our trailer

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you from experince, even if a road is not gated it maybe closed. You have to ask the local authority in charge of the land the road/roads are on, National Forest, State Forest, BLM & etc. Cost me a court appearance in South Lake Tahoe and $250.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
If Bachelor is as good as it gets on the West Coast, that's pretty sad. BUT, if they get the forecast 8 - 12" tonight, that will help (still not worth it IMO). And the new Kapka Butte Snowpark (at 5900') is a pretty good place to camp. (Swing by and I'll even give you my 2015 Snowpark Permit as I doubt I will bother to use it again this season.)

For those of you that know the area, the southern part of the Cascades Lakes Hwy is now open to Elk Lake.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Well, having done years of high-speed trips from LA to Bend for Thanksgiving, I can verify that it is technically within the range of a one-day drive from LA. With that in mind it's worth mentioning that this year Bachelor has the best snow pack of any ski resort on the west coast.

As Steve can verify, there are plenty of Snowparks and winter camping opportunities around this area. But don't try camping in a wide spot in the road in Oregon, they are rathy testy about that--something anyone who's tried it would know.

But to get to Bend you have to drive past Shasta, which is sitting conveniently near the highway, as well as the area north of there, accessed from the 97, where you will find plenty of gate-free FS roads, and magnificent views of Shasta from the north--but no snow on the ground.

For my money, the Mammoth Lakes area has the best/closest opportunity to find something snowey this year. And you can still do a trip up to the Whites for that windswept promotory/magnificent views experience. Perhaps it's time to get off the pot and call Tamarack?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point about the BLM land! In Calif., most of it tends to be at lower elevations, but there is some high BLM stuff near Bishop -- we will check it out!
About our trailer

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, it can be tough finding good spots in the winter. Here are some of the places I search out:
- Snow parks are great
- BLM land is less likely to be gated than N. Forest land
- During hunting season (late Fall), managers are reluctant to close gates (they don't to suffer the wrath of hunters).
- Wide pull-outs (where SnowPark permits are not required)
- Ski area's
One of the reasons the gates are closed is to reduce the road damage that getting stuck on saturated wet roads causes.

Of course, it goes without saying, but conditions can rapidly change overnight (esp. down there). Not just new snow, but a frozen crust or slush is much harder to drive though than the dry powder you drove in on. Also, experience has taught me that it really sucks to have a plow make a huge berm right where you need to get back onto a paved road......

Hopefully, next winter, we'll get some snow....or recreation will be the least of our worries here on the dry west coast.

Steve

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've given up on snow for this year. But we always take a trip in early March (my school's Spring Break), and we are hoping for next year.
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
If you're specifically looking for snow this year then Lassen will be your most reliable go, followed by Shasta. I have no idea how much snow sits beyond the Mammoth webcams, although earlier in the season it was -zero-. But Mammoth is your best bet down close.

Also: Unless you actually SEE snow on the front side of the Sierras, don't bet on it. It's been a very funny year for wet-side snowpacks, and some of the biggest wet-snow areas are suffering the most. Take a look at Ashland, for example. Normally swimming in snow, they've had two years in a row where they couldn't fully open the mountain. (Wanna buy a ski area?)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Green, I like the White Mtns idea! I doubt the tent is going to happen, even though it would radically expand our horizons -- I am at the age where if I try to sleep on the ground, it would take a crane to get me back to a standing position. We missed the boat on backpacking -- we should have done it when we were younger, but we mistakenly thought that we did not like camping, so we never tried it.
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Option #1: Try the White Mountain area. Should still be gate-free until just before the summit push of White mt proper. MAGNIFICENT views of the Sierra at sunset. Since this area gets a lot of sun during the day, I can't vouch as to the snowpack. But if you like looking at mountains, there's no better place to view the high sierra (IMO), than 12k up in the Whites.

Option #2: You might just be ready for a tent. If Lady F is willing, you could buy yourselves a set of the smallest Otter sleds (normally towed behind snowmobiles), attach PVC pipes and tow them across flat access roads closed for snow. I know, you're a wounded goose on skis, but this is best done on snowshoes anyway. As long as you're on the flats it is (almost) painless. And this IS boondocking!

My suggestion is to go to the Mammoth mt inn (9200 ft), pay them to park your rig there for a few days, and then travel the closed highway to devil's postpile (gated to autos) towards Red Meadow or further. You'll have Mammoth mtn on one side, Ritter/Banner on the other.