cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Finally

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Finally ordered a solar panel. We decided to go with the Renogy 100w suitcase. Price was right. This will get us started for right now. We currently have two - 12v batteries at almost 100ah each. I think one might be 95ah and the other 100ah.

Next on the list will be to get a pure sine wave inverter. Will start researching that and installing it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
16 REPLIES 16

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
Darryl&Rita wrote:

Please do us all a favour, and use the proper cable connectors. There's a reason the NEC has different specs for different voltages.

not to mention the power drop ......

First off. The other end is a polarized 12v plug to connect with the charge controller. There is no flow out of the harness. I suppose some fool might try to plug in the panels, but that wouldn't be much of a void in the gene pool.

The harness is triple stranded 12 gauge on each side, equivalent to 7 gauge. Power drop is less than 4% according to the power drop calculator .
I need some wild

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
This thread should be moved to the Tech section.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:

Please do us all a favour, and use the proper cable connectors. There's a reason the NEC has different specs for different voltages.

not to mention the power drop ......
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to Renogy. The charge controller that comes on the suitcase is not proper to handle 200 wats. They said a seperate 20amp charge controller could be used for the 2 suitcases. Just bypass the installed one... that's good to know...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
frizzen wrote:
BigSkillet wrote:
I'm looking at this as well. Since I have no knowledge, do you run it directly to the battery compartment when using it?

You can get them with or without a built in charge controller. If you have the controller all you have to do is put the clips on the battery. The leads will be about 15 feet long.

I have 2 of them without controllers that feed into a 30 watt pwm. Waiting to take the rig out and give them a try. I riggged up a 50 foot cable out of some wire that I have had for a while. THis lets me park in the shade and put the solar panels in the sun. In direct sunlight I was getting 21.5 volts and 11.3 amps at the end of the cable.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
Here is the manual to that inverter.

Suresine 300

Someday I'll get around to upgrading our 150w inverter. It's a good fit but the fan will drive you nuts after a while.

Yeah saw that, but to me it's foreign....lol

Might be able to get my father to help me out with it.

Well that idea is out. He doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:

Suresine 300

Someday I'll get around to upgrading our 150w inverter. It's a good fit but the fan will drive you nuts after a while.

Yeah saw that, but to me it's foreign....lol

Might be able to get my father to help me out with it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer

Suresine 300

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:

As for your inverter, I'm not sure what you want to run and how much wattage you'll need, but I've found the Morningstar Suresine 300 more than ample for our electronics.

How is installation on this? I noticed it has a bare wire AC connection. Most inverters I've seen have actual 110 outlets on them. Does this connect directly to the RV AC system?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike,

Just curious ... why do you use two 6V AGMs instead of two 12V AGMs?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on going solar. Solar has been, by far, the best mod I've ever made. It has allowed me to sell my two Honda EU2000i generators and has given me the ability to go off-grid for as long as I want, limited only by holding tank and food and water supplies.

As for your inverter, I'm not sure what you want to run and how much wattage you'll need, but I've found the Morningstar Suresine 300 more than ample for our electronics.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
4aSong wrote:
Brian,

We have the Renogy 100W suitcase also and on our 1st. two week trip in Arizona we found it to work fantastic on keeping our two 12v batteries charged. Did not need to use the Honda 2000i generator during the two week adventure. Knowing this I would have purchased it sooner.
I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the unit.

Thanks...we will be sure we will like it.

WE did get the one with the controller, but noticed they sell them without the controller. Can you hook up one without a controller to the controller on the one with it?

get on their website during business hours. They have a tech chatline
I need some wild

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
Brian,

We have the Renogy 100W suitcase also and on our 1st. two week trip in Arizona we found it to work fantastic on keeping our two 12v batteries charged. Did not need to use the Honda 2000i generator during the two week adventure. Knowing this I would have purchased it sooner.
I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the unit.

Thanks...we will be sure we will like it.

WE did get the one with the controller, but noticed they sell them without the controller. Can you hook up one without a controller to the controller on the one with it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkillet wrote:
I'm looking at this as well. Since I have no knowledge, do you run it directly to the battery compartment when using it?

You can get them with or without a built in charge controller. If you have the controller all you have to do is put the clips on the battery. The leads will be about 15 feet long.

I have 2 of them without controllers that feed into a 30 watt pwm. Waiting to take the rig out and give them a try. I riggged up a 50 foot cable out of some wire that I have had for a while. THis lets me park in the shade and put the solar panels in the sun. In direct sunlight I was getting 21.5 volts and 11.3 amps at the end of the cable.

I need some wild