cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Dakota suggestions for things to see.

suade907
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we are planning a trip over the 4th of july weekend and are excited to hear any recommendations for amazing things to see. We plan to do some mild hiking and see the sites so please let me know any great experiences you have had.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The Jolly Green Giant and the Spam museum. A Spamberger across the street from the museum. Edit: sorry, wrong state!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
You should visit the museum on the campus of the School of Mines in Rapid City if you have any interest in dinosaurs and geologic minerals and other things along that line. They have world class specimens and full size fossils of these creatures; cost is minimal if I remember correctly. Custer State Park is a must along with Mt. Rushmore and the Needles Highway as several others have pointed out. Wind Cave NP and the bison herds are worth your time too.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
You'll love the drive thru Custer State Park. Those wild burros have quite a scam going. One stands in the middle of the road to stop traffic while the rest go from car to car begging for carrots. And hold onto the green part. Their eyesight isn't that good. ๐Ÿ™‚
I suggest going early morning or late afternoon. In the heat of the day, the animals hide in the trees well off the road. Finally, Custer is a state park so the national parks pass doesn't get you a discount.

On the way, drive thru the Badlands. The road leaves I-90 and returns near Wall, SD. I've often wondered what the first settlers thought when they encountered the Badlands. Probably thought that they had found the end of the earth. Its stark, but beautiful.
Stop in at Wall Drugs in Wall, SD. for free ice water. That's all that's free, but its fun to see.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Badlands National Park has not been mentioned; fairly close to Custer SP.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
Custer State Park is a amazing place. There are also many pretty drives to make in the area. Needles highway for one.

We worked in Custer State Park and had a great time. There are a lot of things to see and do.

If you want to see the buffalo in the park, go either early morning or late afternoon. During the day, they are pretty much hidden in the brush taking a "break"

Take some pop corn or carrots for the burros.

Don't leave out the Crazy Horse monument.

The Reptile Garden has a really good show.

Take in one of the dinner shows, good entertainment

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `south dakota tourism' and read on and/or do the same search in this forum.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

suade907
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. We will have about a week to adventure and are looking for great places to stay as well. Thanks for all the help.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
If you've only got a weekend then yes, Black Hills area - Custer State Park, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Needles Highway. More than enough for a weekend. Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Needles highway and the Peter Norbeck scenic byway are both well worth the time. Take a picnic lunch and stop along the way.
We enjoyed exploring the town of Lead which is a stone's throw from Deadwood and has an operating gold mine with tours available.
We liked the dinosaur museum in Hill City...small, but free (donations accepted) with a great collection of T rex head and whole bodies.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Custer State Park is a amazing place. There are also many pretty drives to make in the area. Needles highway for one.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel