cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern Utah-May 2015

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
I'll coming down Hwy 15 from Logan, and looking for a central (as much as possible) RV park to set up in for a couple of weeks...and visit as many of the scenic parks and locations as possible in that time frame.

As I said, I'm trying to get into an area (town) that will allow us to travel different directions as easily as possible...

Thanks in advance for all the good advice that I know will come from our fellow RV'ers.

Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
9 REPLIES 9

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies...as to how much we want to see, we are not serious hikers, but do not mind a bit of an easy walk to see things (less than 3 miles round trip for instance)...

I'll have to do some looking at info before I commit to staying several places, as I do believe in having a reserved site to pull into (and full hookups are getting to be much appreciated as we get older).

Thanks,
Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Divide the state into several areas and add some state parks and NF sites into what you want to see. We found we were covering less miles and seeing much more each time we went.
Now we spend two to three months in SW Utah every winter and are still finding things we have not known about in the area we go to.
To make it worse there are some great thing nearby in the states surrounding Utah that you should see

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Having been to these places many times over the years I can pretty well tell you that these parks are fantastic and cannot be covered from one location.

Do you want see these places or just say you have been there. To SEE them you need to have close proximity as nuch of the best viewing is early morning and late evening for the colors and shadows (can tell I am a photographer, right? ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on what you mean by visiting one of these parks. Do you mean a drive thru, stopping at the scenic pullouts. Or do you mean really exploring the park, hiking trails and so on. If the later pick a couple of them and camp outside (or inside). It takes a week to even get to see some of one of these parks.

I'm always befuddled when I see these people in tour buses. They get driven around the park road, stop at a couple scenic turnouts, visit the park HQ and leave. See three parks in one day. They then cross that park off their list, been there, seen it all.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine touring the southern parks from one location. That's too much wasted driving and not enough time in the park's themselves. Stay near each one for a better experience.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay somewhere at a higher elevation -- maybe Panguitch or Torrey. Southern Utah in May along I-15 might be really toasty.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
kopy kat wrote:
I'll coming down Hwy 15 from Logan, and looking for a central (as much as possible) RV park to set up in for a couple of weeks...and visit as many of the scenic parks and locations as possible in that time frame.

As I said, I'm trying to get into an area (town) that will allow us to travel different directions as easily as possible...

Thanks in advance for all the good advice that I know will come from our fellow RV'ers.

Larry

Take a look at these replies to a similar question not to long ago, might sort of clear up any idea of seeing Utah from a single or for that matter even a couple+ camps this is a realy big State and requires many locations to see even a small portion of the state,

Old Thread

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The parks are too widely separated to find a common jump off cg. Bryce/Zion is one set. Arches/Canyonlands another and Capital Reef and the North Rim are mostly by themselves. We spent a week in Cortez (Mesa Verde, Canyon of the Ancients, Hovenweep and some state parks) and another week in Monticello (Canyonlands Needles District and Arches) this year. Monticello is higher and cooler than Moab and doesn't have the tourist trap feeling.

A couple years ago we spent 8 days in Escalante and did Bryce from there but were mostly interested in the back roads in the area (Dancehall, Devil's Backbone and Hole in the Rock ect) You need a reliable 4WD for that tho.

For Capital Reef we did a week in Torrey (I think at Wonderlands RV park) and stayed a CG which doesn't appear in rvparkreviews at Jacob's Lake for North Rim.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper