cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Standard Cancellation Policies

Burdog613
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get Parks (Winchester Bay resort in Oregon)that don't refund on cancellations when done within the time limits and charge a cancellation fee almost equal to one nights stay. So in essence they get to keep your money for doing next to nothing except reading an email and running your credit card.... which takes a matter of seconds. Don't get me wrong, I understand the reason if done last minute or just no show. Will I ever go there...I think not, I would stay somewhere else on purpose. It,s just not smart business to create a mad customer in order to keep a few bucks. Because I like to share the good and the bad experiences this post will travel far....Thumbs down Winchester Bay Resort, Winchester Bay Oregon
22 REPLIES 22

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
noe-place wrote:
I see this come up every time I turn around. The places post their fees and refund policies and we still aren't happy. I'm just glad to be alive so I can think about where I'm going to camp next time. Life is too short to worry about $8.:h

Lol

Pangaea Ron, what was their explanation?

It was $800.00!!! for $8.00 I wouldn't have commented. It was their posted policy, and we needed to fulfill our obligation with the bidders that won the auction item. I had hoped that the B&B owner would have relented a bit due to the nature of the stay as a donation for a fund-raiser.

The bidders offered to make up the difference, but we would rather have them spend their money on the next auction, which they did. My wife was chairperson for the event that raised over $240,000.00

Was what he did according to his posted policies... Yes, Was it fair and honorable... probably not.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
I see this come up every time I turn around. The places post their fees and refund policies and we still aren't happy. I'm just glad to be alive so I can think about where I'm going to camp next time. Life is too short to worry about $8.:h

Lol

Pangaea Ron, what was their explanation?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Burdog613

I tried to send you a PM, but apparently it is not allowed?

Welcome to RV.Net. This can be a ruthless forum, that seems to get more aggressive as cocktail hour progresses.

I actually E-mailed Winchester Bay RV "Resort" about this thread, and got several thoughtful responses from them, that helped me understand their situation.

I've been caught by these policies at a B&B that cost us nearly $800. We offered our MH to our hospital foundation for a wine tasting weekend for 2 couples for 2 nights in Prosser, WA. There was confusion about dates with the couples and we booked them into a B&B on the wrong weekend. My wife had made the arrangements and called the B&B to re-book, and they required full payment for both the old and new dates. To make matters worse, the owner refused to speak with my wife about it, and insisted on talking with me. He said that it was something that needed to be discussed man-to-man... and said: It's Biblical you know!

Well, I came unglued, and I can't repeat what my wife said. Fortunately the couples had paid $2600 for the weekend, and it became a part of our contribution. I tried to negotiate as they did not require cleaning of the rooms, nor breakfasts, or the evenings wine tastings. I lost, and tried to understand that was within their cancellation policies.

They allowed us to hook-up our MH at the B&B, but he tried to charge me $40 more than he quoted me, and I made him refund that amount. It was a man-to-man issue.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
If you expect them to break a policy for you, then they should break it for everyone else. Then there is no need for such a policy. I'm sure they have it in place for a reason. It actually sounds fair to me. If I didn't think it was fair then I would not book there. If I didn't read the cancellation policy before hand, then it would be lesson learned. I don't always read the policies of cancellation either. But I would just need to accept what it is if I had to cancel.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you learned to check their cancellation policies as most place stick to them.

Hang around a while and you may learn a lot from the experienced campers on this forum ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Burdog613

I like it that you responded with your thoughts.

Thanks
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Burdog613
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I joined, I'm 63 years old and still believe there are good and honest people in the world, Yes I'm new to this RV world and try to temper my experiences from a view of an open mind. I do not find it hard to believe, but is sad to think that some who take advantage, dictate policies for all, oh well...

Thanks All!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
As a new member, you'll probably find this hard to believe, but there are actually folks that make reservations for the same date at more than one park, because they haven't decided on their itinerary yet, or aren't sure they're going at all. That's why reservation policies exist - because some RVers have abused the system. Their policy is clearly stated on their web site, and so are the penalties.
Your options are to read and comply with the policies or camp somewhere else.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately too many people book and don't show up. It's just for their own protection. It's just a risk we have to take. People also invent stories to try and get their money back when they change their mind. It stink but unfortunately that's how life goes.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Burdog613
Explorer
Explorer
I understand you are suspicious of new comers... I did read everything and understood, had circumstances which I could not change, The Rain Check is not an option I could use, so I thought I would ask....I'm in the service business and still will bend over for my customers....hasn't failed me yet and quite the opposite, we get always good word of mouth...I don't blame you questioning though

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Their policies do say no refunds, but did they offer you a "rain check" less a $20 fee, if you cancelled at least 7 days before your stay?

Reservation Policies
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Burdog613 wrote:
So in essence they get to keep your money for doing next to nothing except reading an email and running your credit card.... which takes a matter of seconds.

Not necessarily true. They may ALSO have turned down someone else who wanted to rent that site or may have turned down someone just because they were booked solid. If they LOOSE money because you changed your mind then I'm on the side of the RV Parking Lot in this one. It would probably be a nice gesture if they returned your money PROVIDED they didn't loose anything on the deal.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever take the time to find and read OR ask them about their cancellation policy before you made reservations?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)