cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain Park, Ga and campground

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We have a camping reservation at Stone Mountain Campground in during the third week of July. We've never been there before. Is the campground connected to the park? Can we walk to the park? Ride bikes? Does the campground have a shuttle? How many days should we estimate that it would take to get all things done in the park? We're trying to determine if we should be year passes. If we'll have to drive there and pay for parking, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Karen
23 REPLIES 23

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
We stayed 5 nights in July 2013. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend the loop close to the pool. The rest of the sites you don't know what your gonna get. As stated above they could be unlevel, hard to access, small, or the fire pit could be in the wrong place. But lots for the kids to do and I highly recommend a full day downtown exploring.

Running off the loop close to the pool (which is "trail F") is "trail C and Trail E", which are also premium sites. We use Stone Mountain Campground several times per year, and always try to get on Trail E but all of trail c and E have good sites.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We were there two years ago. Great park. Walking distance to the amusement
Park. Well shaded. Have a great time!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
David, it was site #393.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dalbishop
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yep, some of the spots are tight! we had a pull through, that was perfectly level and set up perfect. every once in a while you run across a site like you had, anywhere. and yes the campground is beautiful and quiet. great setting.

This was our site. we just pulled in and dropped the jacks.

DodgeGuy, do you remember your site #?

It looks like the site right across from where we stayed. Looks like you had plenty of room.

David

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 5 nights in July 2013. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend the loop close to the pool. The rest of the sites you don't know what your gonna get. As stated above they could be unlevel, hard to access, small, or the fire pit could be in the wrong place. But lots for the kids to do and I highly recommend a full day downtown exploring.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had site 393. All I did was pull in and drop the Jacks. I was dead level and I like my trailer perfectly level!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
Those who said they had a level site, would you mind (if you remember) telling me what spot you had? We stayed there last year in a very un-level spot. We plan to go back this year (need to be in Atlanta for a weekend) and we had a list of sites to request but wouldn't you know it now we can't find the list ๐Ÿ™‚
Brand new owners of a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar DP

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
Trlrboy, I enjoyed your photo albums! Thanks for sharing.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We just left there and had a what they call premium sire, full hook up and cable, everything was great site level, roads to OUR site were all paved and bath houses were clean. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to our friends but would suggest getting the package deal offered and a full hook up site. We only stayed 2 nights but did all what we wanted to do.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

flyinjake
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there a few times. Both times at Thanksgiving.

Campground is fine but need to be careful with what site you get. Some of them require a lot of "timber" to level up the trailer. Most sites are fine.

If you have looked at the campground map you probably noticed that some are full hookup while others are the basic electric and water with a couple of gray water dump stations.

Bathrooms were clean with hot water.

I have heard but not witnessed that the sites near the tent camping area may be a little noisy at night on the weekends. I have heard they are trying or have clamped down on that. Maybe someone who has been during the summer can verify.

Stone Mountain, the park, is a great place. Have you checked to see if they have a festival during your visit?

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Guy, that looks exactly like the site we stayed at after Christmas. It was wet though when we stayed. I think it was on the last loop.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stayed there for a few days last fall primarily for a Scottish games festival & also downtown Atlanta. The CG itself is OK. It is obvious that it is heavily used. Roads could be better & sites can be very level to requiring a fair amount of leveling. Hope it does not rain. Sites are dirt, not gravel, & there is not a blade of grass anywhere. You are there for what there is to do in the area, not the CG.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, some of the spots are tight! we had a pull through, that was perfectly level and set up perfect. every once in a while you run across a site like you had, anywhere. and yes the campground is beautiful and quiet. great setting.

This was our site. we just pulled in and dropped the jacks.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dalbishop
Explorer
Explorer

My family and I stayed at Stone Mountain Campground (site 339) for a week during the July 4th 2014 holiday.

First the bad: Our rig is a 27' R-Vision Trail Lite Sport TT with a slide out. Even though we went as far as possible to the edge towards the utilities, we still couldn't open our awning all of the way. It must be said that these sites are raised and you can only go to the edge of the raised border. The sites are awkwardly set up; many of the sites have the fire pit situated right next to the trail (road). Some of the sites are quite difficult to get into; we saw a fifth wheel eventually get into a spot, only due to the cooperation of a couple of neighbors being willing to move their vehicles.

Now the good: The park was very quiet. Nearly all of our neighbors were really nice people. The site was level. We were on the lake facing the mountain and the view was awesome. We moved the fire pit down to the lake; this is where it should have been in the first place. Access to the park was a major plus and having a shuttle during the July 4th holiday was a life saver. The amenities were quite adequate for campers, including laundry facilities. Bicycling was nice, but some of the hills can be challenging, especially for those who are looking for a leisurely ride. The park was great and we really enjoyed hiking up the mountain (earning those high calorie meals).

Overall, it was a great experience, but I would ask around to see which sites are appropriate for your rig. The site can make or break your camping experience.