cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for good camping spots in Michigan

Devoreg
Explorer
Explorer
We recently upgraded from a pop up to a jayco jay flight 29bhs and are working on planning or trips for the summer. We ussually travel with a couple other families and we all have young kids. We are not really interested in the overcrowded KOA type campgrounds and not nessacerily a focused family type place ( the parents enjoy having some beverages around the campfire after the kids go to bed, we are respectful to the others and are not having loud music parties but not looking for a 11:00 lights out no noise type of place).

We have had pretty good luck with state campgrounds but I know there are so many other cool places out there to explorer. We would like to be near water.

Does anyone have some good spots to suggest or a site with good info? I am sure there are the hidden gems that people do not want everyone to know about but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Another spot is Oxbow Park on the Muskegon River above Hardy Dam. County park with a fun atmosphere.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Devoreg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, so far we are going to:

Waterloo State Park (this is going to be the first trip with the new TT, close to home in case we have any issues)

Hoffmaster State Park

A mid October Halloween camping trip at a KOA near Port Huron

We will also be taking the trailer to a friend cottage for a long weekend

From some of the research I have done I am interested in looking into Tawas, Torch Lake, Warren Dunes, Luddington to name only a few.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best Michigan State Parks right on the Lake Michigan shoreline and with pristene sand beaches and lake bottom having more to do than you can do in the local area or stae park in a month of camping in them are from south to north:

Holland State Park - 2 separate CG's, one on Lake Michigan and one across the road from Lake Macatawa about a mile inland. Lots to do in town but not walkable to there from either CG. Excellent CG bathouses.

Grand Haven State Park - TRUE beach CG (174 sites) with the simply gorgeous beach, long public peir with 2 lighthouses, gorgeous very popular wide fancy boardwalk along the wide Grand River to downtown (7 blocks), constant beach activities, swimming etc, and programs/pro beach tournaments all right out your RV door. Free music concerts in Central Park Tuesday evenings and on the other side of the US-31 bridge (Spring Lake) on Thrusday evenings all summer long. Many festivals and great fun activities downtown constantly. The free Original full brightly colored world's largest Musical Fountain (the same size as a football field) programs performing every night and veiwed from anywhere along the waterfront/boardwalk as it's a mile long park or viewed from the large free waterfront stadium at the end of the main street downtown. Roughly 160 miles of paved bike pathe and trails. Gobs of pleasure boats alwats and also Coast Guard ships/boats and huge commercial ships going in and out of the pristene harbor. Michigan's most popular state park every year. New large state of the art superb bathouse with private door fancy showers (14) on 3 sides of the bathouse building.

PJ Hoffmaster State Park - 5 miles north of Grand Haven and it's large (1200 acres) and has 300 campsites in 4 loops in the woods on the east side of the dunes. 3 new bathouses. Constructed walkways to the Lake Michigan excellent beach about 1200' long between the dunes. Black Creek goes right thru the CG loops on it's way out to Lake Michigan. Huge sandunes to climb or the wood pathway from the large interpetive Gillett Visitor Center to the top of the dunes or to the beach and there's miles of marked trails in the SP.

Ludington State Park - a very large state park with 4 loops and lots to do. Most sites are wooded and vary in size so you need to specify your RV size when reserving. Actually is 7 miles north of Ludington so you will have to drive to town for needs/food or activities happening. Hamlin Lake is on the east side of the SP and there's a clear stream out to Lake Michigan. Good mostly older bathhouses.

Of course, they are very popular and you must have reservations as they are full all summer long. The entire lakeshore area has lots of shopping, malls, good food/dining, 7 Meijers, 5 Walmarts, and you name it!

Second choice in SP campgrounds along the same shoreline area are:

Van Buren State Park

Muskegon State Park

Pioneer County Park

Mears State Park

Orchard Beach State Park

Severl more farther north.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Any state park in Michigan is great!!!:B
Joel, Sallie and our lab Jager. (Chance RIP 9/12/12)
2014 Ford F150 SUPERCREW XLT MAX TOW/HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD (April 2014)
2007 Trail Bay TB27RL
Hensley Arrow/Barker VIP 3500/Steadyfast/Dish Tailgater/Maxxis tires/2 Honda EU2000i's

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Rifle River Recreation Area near Rose City. Especially the rustic areas if you can do without electric. It has hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, and canoeing.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to give Pere Marquette Oaks a look Here
Has a nice playground for the kids, great pool and spa, long paved parking spots with grass and most have a fire ring. Golf course across the road and lake just down the road from the park. They had internet and cable when we were there last time.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Devoreg wrote:
We recently upgraded from a pop up to a jayco jay flight 29bhs and are working on planning or trips for the summer. We ussually travel with a couple other families and we all have young kids. We are not really interested in the overcrowded KOA type campgrounds and not nessacerily a focused family type place ( the parents enjoy having some beverages around the campfire after the kids go to bed, we are respectful to the others and are not having loud music parties but not looking for a 11:00 lights out no noise type of place).

We have had pretty good luck with state campgrounds but I know there are so many other cool places out there to explorer. We would like to be near water.

Does anyone have some good spots to suggest or a site with good info? I am sure there are the hidden gems that people do not want everyone to know about but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Perkins Park in Big Bay, Michigan. Way out of the way, about 30 mins from Marquette. Super Scenic area, all sorts of outdoor activities, it is on a nice fishing lake, excellent swimming beach, play area. Full hookups, ATV trails, etc.

Our favorite spot!
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins

ronfisherman
Pne pf the nicest RV parks on east side of state is Camp Dearborn
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
If you like the sunset side of the state, Oak Grove in Holland is a great place and offers full hook ups. About a 5 minute bike ride to Holland State Park and Lake Michigan.

Oak Grove

We continue to return back to this park because of its location yet I always complain about it. The sites that will accomadate our rig are close together and have no fire ring. If you want to use the pool you have to wear one of their plastic bracelets and the staff is not that friendly. The park is clean, bathrooms are good and the location is great.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You might like Alcona Park near Glennie. You have the AuSable, which is good for fishing or boating/canoeing. It's not far from Lake Huron, so you can sightsee the nearby lighthouses. Modern bath house, swimming, playground. Plenty of national forest land nearby.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Try Orchard beach State park and Mitchell state park. Both have great sites and a lot to do.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the sunset side of the state, Oak Grove in Holland is a great place and offers full hook ups. About a 5 minute bike ride to Holland State Park and Lake Michigan.

Oak Grove
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer state parks (my husband not so much).
Ludington, Tawas, Silver Lake (not necessarily the state park campground) are my favorites. We didn't care for Traverse City at all.
UP is ok but not my favorite by far and in the time it takes me too get there, I can be in Kentucky. I'd rather go to Kentucky. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Van Buren S.P.
Ludington S.P.
Youngs S.P
Tawas Point S.P.
Harrisville S.P.
South Higgins S.P.
Algonac S.P (for the view of the lake freighters)
Yankee Springs

We've been to a lot of state parks in Michigan, in fact, we only camp at state parks. The above parks are just a few of our favorite on the water. It depends on where you're at in Michigan.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS