cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swamp boat tours in Louisiana

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to spend a couple of weeks plus bounding about in Louisiana and the DW want to go on a swamp boat (air boat) tour. Not looking for a party barge type with 30 or so people, but rather a small craft seating a couple of people and tour swamps, nor lakes.
We'll be throughout most of the state so we're bound too be near some reputable outfit.
Any thoughts? (Yes, I have tried Google, but am after personal experiences.) Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
9 REPLIES 9

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago the wife and I took a tour using Air Boat Adventures. The guide had grown up in the area and was full of information. The boat only sat 6 people so real close to the water. We saw more gators than I can count, the guide actually called them up to the boat, they where literally feet away. I highly recommend this outfit.!!!!! Take a look at their webpage. It was the best thing we did in NO next to the food and the WWll museum. Another thing you must do while you are there.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a high speed thrill ride then the air boat is for you. If you want to see the flora, fauna, and eco system of this area the quieter the boat the better. There are a number of tour operators here with various sizes of boats and even some that offer canoe/kayak tours.

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
We did swamp tour in Breaux Bridge. Cajun Country Swamp tour I think. There were 3 different ones in close proximity. Not air boats, but saw tons of gators and other wildlife. Boats seated 10-12 I think. We went mid summer first thing in morning and there were only 7 including us 5. They had a Groupon discount a couple years ago when we went.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a smaller trip you might hire a fishing guide. We did Dr. Wagner's Honey Swamp tour and it was fun. https://www.flickr.com/photos/121951825@N07/albums/72157697164063562

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Champagne's Cajun Swamp Tours
We stayed in Lafayette, LA and one day took a tour with these folks. There might have been 5 or 6 of us, but it was winter. We loved it and got to see so many birds and gators, and even the flora was interesting. It was close to Avery Island so we go to check out the Tabasco factory and we also checked out the oldest rice mill in New Iberia and tour it. At the end of that tour, I was so hungry for gumbo we asked for a local place and it was the best Gumbo Ive ever had.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Jean Lafitte is a great one to use

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware that for the first 30 feet a gator is faster than a dog at full run. Gators are the Great Whites of the swamp and are nothing but eating machines. Good advice on Avery Island.

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the following link: https://www.louisiana-destinations.com/index.htm.
It shows several things to do and see,including swamp tours. Not sure when you plan on doing this, but May on would be better temperature wise. If you're in the Lafayette/Henderson area in southwest La, consider staying at Cajun Palms RV Resort - awesome place. While in this area, visit Avery Island which is where Tabasco Sauce is manufactured - escellent tour. There are also some swamp tours towards the Miss/La state line near Slidell, La, I believe it's called the Honey Island Swamp Tour or something to that effect. If in the Southeastern part of La along I-12, consider staying at Reunion Lake RV Resort at Robert La - another awesome place.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like fun. Just be aware that on an airboat the chances of seeing wildlife are slim to zero. The things are extremely noisy scaring wildlife for miles around. They are fast too, further reducing chances of seeing anything, but they are a great thrill ride.

There are options if you want to see birds & gators. There are some good trips with small boats, trailer boats, that may only carry 6 people. A very personal experience.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995