cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tarpon cg, port Isabel, Tx

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I want to be near the ocean. We tried Florida last winter and found it to be too buggy, muggy and expensive. We have been to the Texas coast and thought we would try Port Isabel. I didn't feel the humidity or find it to be infested like Florida with all kinds of flying pest. Many of the CG's in Corpus Christi and the surrounding towns are booked solid for the coming winter by seniors and working campers.
We found Tarpon CG in Port Isabel and according to the voice on the other end, they always have vacancies in the winter. I was wondering why? Since it's located on the bay, I would think they would be booked solid. I looked at the pictures on google and 'though the campers look old, the place appeared clean. Anyone have first hand information about this CG?
3 REPLIES 3

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
It would not be my first pick in Port Isabel. Many do enjoy the people in Park Center. If you're lucky you might get a site on the canal. Another park is Long Island. It is an owner park that has a rental pool.

In a very crude analogy you can say Port Isabel is South Padre Island's poor cousin. When you cross the causeway the rent goes up.

Only two parks are on the Island, a county park and a KOA. The best thing about the county park is the people and the affordability during the coldest months ($500 vs $1300.) The KOA is a nice short term place or long term if budget isn't an issue.

Both parks have drawbacks that everyone overlooks if you enjoy being next to salt water and a safe place to be regardless of time or location. I guess crime doesn't like the idea that to get away, they only have one escape route to the mainland.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
RV.NET forum members John&Joey can probably give you some good info on this area, they stay on South Padre at Isla Blanca Park County.
pawatt

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
It is kinda run down and sites are small & close, A quaint fishing camp. Did you try Isla Blanca Park County park right on the beach on South Padre Island? or if you want to get away from the salt spray there is a nice park in Los Fresnos, Texas. Also check San Benito, Texas 9.91 miles NW, Brownsville, Texas 10.36 miles SW, Rio Hondo, Texas 12.68 miles NW, Arroyo City, Texas 12.68 miles NW
pawatt