cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Telluride/Ouray, CO area

JC435
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to this area in the middle of July. Any recommendations on campgrounds in the area with hookups? I know there are several campgrounds without hookups in Telluride and vicinity. How about Ridgway State Park?

Also, we will be towing a 26' trailer, so I really want to avoid Million Dollar Hwy going north from Durango and Silverton to Ouray. But, what about going south to Ouray from Montrose? It appears to be rather straight. Has anyone done that route? Thank you for any help.
18 REPLIES 18

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
KOA and Ridgeway are both nice places.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Was at Ridgway 7/2014. Stayed at Pa-Co-Chu-Puk for 1 night by the river. We were over run with mosquitoes, so we were able to move to Dakota Terraces. It was nice with clean shower facilities (site#15). Next time we will try to get the Elk Ridge section (sites #181,184,186) appear to be the best...but this campground is a lot more wooded than the other two.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Doing Fall colors again - be there mid Sept.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Weeeellllll, have been n there several times and will be there again later this summer. Stay at Ouray KOA and avoid 4J. Avoid Million Dollar with an RV. Montrose to Ouray nice easy drive. Enjoy.

We'll be there in June - when are you going?
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

Pigkisser
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have stayed at Ridgway SP and the KOA in Ouray. My preference, by far, would be the KOA. It is a very nice park and much more picturesque than Ridgway.

As far as the highway, I have driven from Montrose to Durango in our 35 foot MH towing our Jeep without any problems. Just take it easy going up and back down the passes. Ouray is one of our favorite places to camp. I hope you have a good trip!
2007 Jayco Seneca 33SS
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door 4X4 toad
Ready Brute/Ready Brake tow bar/brake combination
Yeti Ice Chest

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Weeeellllll, have been n there several times and will be there again later this summer. Stay at Ouray KOA and avoid 4J. Avoid Million Dollar with an RV. Montrose to Ouray nice easy drive. Enjoy.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Ouray KOA, rent a jeep right at CG, many jeep trails available in area.We did the Imogene Pass pass trail to Telluride, unbelievable wildflowers the year we were their.End of July time period

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Amphitheater NFCG is too tight for that trailer, and no hookups, so cross that one off your list. (More room for me and my tiny trailer, LOL.) But drive up there without the TT and enjoy the view from the overlook.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to getting out there! Right now, we are looking at the summer of 2017.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed a 4 night stay last August at 4J campground in Ouray. The park is OK. We chose it for the convenience of being able to walk around town and walk the trails in the area. There is a hot spring adjacent to the park as well but we did not go in it.

Something else you might enjoy is Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Montrose. We enjoyed that c.g. and watching deer wander around. There are also some nice trails and scenic drives in the park.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at Ridgway and it is nice, but I expected "outstanding" from the comments on this forum. If I did it again (and I will)I would stay in Ourey itself. We grew tired of driving back and forth, as everything we came to the area for was NOT in Ridgway.

Not sure of your vehicle, but I highly recommend getting off road some. Taking Ophir Pass over to Telluride and Last Dollar Road back into Ridgway is a very easy loop for a common truck, and the scenery is breathtaking!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Hands wrote:
Ridgeway is a very nice state park. The KOA near Ouray is not bad at all. The last several years we have gone to and from Ouray from the north and it is no problem at all. You might consider leaving your trailer in the campground and taking a day trip south on the Million Dollar Highway. It is a beautiful, beautiful drive.

+1. Another vote for Ridgeway and the KOA outside of Ouray. The KOA has been there a long time and has consistently gotten good reviews. And with good reason. One of the best KOAs to be found anywhere.

As others have said, the drive from Montrose to Ouray is not a problem at all....lots of farmland and ranchland initially, giving way to mountains in the distance, getting closer. But the road and drive is a piece of cake! Vistas are wonderful the closer you get to Ouray and enter the box canyon.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Ridgeway is a very nice state park. The KOA near Ouray is not bad at all. The last several years we have gone to and from Ouray from the north and it is no problem at all. You might consider leaving your trailer in the campground and taking a day trip south on the Million Dollar Highway. It is a beautiful, beautiful drive.

X2 on the "Million Dollar Highway".

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Montrose to Ouray is a cakewalk, no problems at all. Our favorite is the Ouray KOA, been there several times. It sits in the woods and has a good campground feel. Try to get one of the back-in spots in the rear section of the campground, very quiet and peaceful. You can rent a Jeep right there in the campground and hit some of the trails. You should be there in the prime wildflower season and the Jeep with the top down is the way to go. Make your reservations now for the campground and the Jeep.

Even if you stay elsewhere be sure and go to little cafe at the KOA. Wednesday night and Saturday night they have great BBQ and live entertainment. Their breakfast is great and very reasonable. You do not have to stay there to eat at the cafe. IMO, breakfast is the best in the area.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".