cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Telluride/Ouray, CO area

JC435
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to this area in the middle of July. Any recommendations on campgrounds in the area with hookups? I know there are several campgrounds without hookups in Telluride and vicinity. How about Ridgway State Park?

Also, we will be towing a 26' trailer, so I really want to avoid Million Dollar Hwy going north from Durango and Silverton to Ouray. But, what about going south to Ouray from Montrose? It appears to be rather straight. Has anyone done that route? Thank you for any help.
18 REPLIES 18

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I know south from Montrose to Ouray is not bad. It's the more boring area. I believe there is an RV park right in Ouray near the hot springs.

Park

Timberidge

There is an area in Ouray to walk back along the river on a steel walk way that is nice. Watch for a rain storm as the water fall and river run through and into a sluice way/tunnel and down to the main river. It rips through there.

Telluride has a lift to take you up during the summer. Shops and restaurant at the top.

Don't take your camper in but you should be able to get to Animas Forks ghost town.

There are a lot of trails and some or portions of some of them can be done in a truck. Ask first and get maps.

I have been down the south side on the million dollar highway about 6 years ago and it is interesting if you are on the passenger side. There are some hairpin turns near town but I dont think they are that bad. It's been a while for my memory but I would take my 5er through there if I go back this summer. There was no shoulder on parts of it and the white line was right at the edge but I'll do it. I'll just slow way down and if anyone has a problem, kiss my or pass. They'll get over it.

If you are north/East of there, the Grand Canyon of The Gunnison is nice. We also did the area to the north west which included Almont, Taylor Park, Tin Cup and St Elmo. Very beautiful areas.

JC435
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your suggestions. I have driven the MDH from Durango up to Ouray before in a van, and that's why I want to avoid it pulling a TT. ๐Ÿ˜„

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in Ouray for about 10 years prior to moving to the swamp country of Florida. Ridgway SP is our favorite state park in Colorado. One of the three campgrounds there, Pa Co Chu Puk, does have full hookups. Water, and a dump station are available in the CG. Very nice coin operated laundry and shower facilities are available.

The Ouray KOA, just north of town is our favorite of the privates and we often spend a month or so there in the summer. It is probably book full for the July 4 time frame but worth a call. The owners winter at their home here in Florida. Real nice folks. CG is seasonal.

We have stayed for a month at the 4 J + CG in Ouray, down by the river. Site are a bit tight but it is run by a good family as well. Several more privates just north of town that have changed owners in the last few years.

Gov't CG up on the hill side east of Ouray, called the Amplitheater CG. No services and have never stayed there.

Ouray and surrounding area does need reservations for the popular months. You may have problems getting them now.
The road from Montrose to Ouray is fine, low altitude, etc. hwy 550 gets interesting south of Ouray. New to the area, I suggest you camp in Ridgway or Ouray. Then drive your vehicle over the Million Dollar Hwy and see for yourself what you think of it.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Ridgeway is a very nice state park. The KOA near Ouray is not bad at all. The last several years we have gone to and from Ouray from the north and it is no problem at all. You might consider leaving your trailer in the campground and taking a day trip south on the Million Dollar Highway. It is a beautiful, beautiful drive.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"