cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas tips?

sappersayce
Explorer
Explorer
We are brand-new fulltimers and are looking for a place to spend our first winter in the sun! (We're in a fifth wheel.) Texas gulf coast seems so appealing for fishing -- any suggestions on good campgrounds for two-month stays near Corpus Christi? (Rockport looks like a good option, or maybe Port Aransas?)
24 REPLIES 24

CakeHenn
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

I got 3 warring stops while tow on NON-interstate roads in my last trip through TX

That's fishy. I'm thinking there is something about your rig or truck that was suspicious. To get pulled over and get a warning is really lucky...for that to happen 3 times means they were really pulling you over for some other reason and speeding was the only thing they could actually pull you over for. I'm sure each time they pulled you over whatever they initially were concerned with was quickly found to be unwarranted so they just talked about the speeding.

When not towing I speed...when towing I normally go the limit or slower. If the limit if 55 then I'll also use the 5mph buffer and go a bit faster. Anyway I've been pulled over for speeding once in the last 10 years and got a ticket. Same with my wife.
TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the first year in Texas traveling around to get the flavor of the various locations. We spent a month each in the Hill Country near Kerrville, on the Gulf Coast near Rockport, and in the Rio Grande Valley near Mission. All was nice EXCEPT for the RGV area. It's one big, long, graffiti covered, congested city, and had absolutely nothing to offer. People that like it tend to enjoy shopping and dining out, because that's all there is to do there in my opinion. In fact, we left there before our pre-paid time was up.
If you like fishing, the best locations would be the Gulf Coast for salt water fishing, and the Hill Country or Piney Woods area for fresh water (although it's a bit colder in the winter months). If you visit any of the Texas state parks, you can fish without a license either from shore, or a pier. If you wade, or use a boat, you have to have a license.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Major Dad wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Texas strictly enforces it speed laws.

That depends on where you are driving. In many places in Texas (Austin), you are a traffic hazard if you are driving at or below speed limit. In west Texas on IH-10 the speed limit is 80 mph, and I see plenty of people exceeding that. Common rule of thumb on open highways in Texas is that you are OK as long as you are 5 mph or less over the speed limit. There are speed traps in some locations, but not like there were in the ridiculous 55 mph days.

I should add that when towing I stay under 65 mph due to trailer tire speed limits. That makes the stretch of highway from Kerrville to El Paso interesting sometimes when others are going 80-85 mph.

Amen! Here in Dallas if you're traveling the speed limit you'll probably get run over, usually by an 18-wheeler - especially if you're on US-75 (Central Expressway). I try to just keep up with the traffic and that works in Dallas. But on one trip out west I got pulled over for doing 4 or 5 over the posted limit. I told the officer I was just following the farm pickup truck ahead of me and he looked around just in time to see the pickup pass out of view in the distance. Thankfully all I got was a warning, but it does provide a bit of a chuckle when I think about it since I was just west of Pecos. So anyone who thinks there is no law west of the Pecos, well I have an official form that proves otherwise! Oh, and while I was talking to the officer another farm pickup whizzed by with an uncovered load of gravel on his flat bed trailer spraying rocks all over hell's half acre. Took one in the windshield that had to be replaced.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Major Dad wrote:
TenOC wrote:

That depends on where you are driving. In many places in Texas (Austin), you are a traffic hazard if you are driving at or below speed limit. In west Texas on IH-10 the speed limit is 80 mph, and I see plenty of people exceeding that. Common rule of thumb on open highways in Texas is that you are OK as long as you are 5 mph or less over the speed limit. There are speed traps in some locations, but not like there were in the ridiculous 55 mph days.

I should add that when towing I stay under 65 mph due to trailer tire speed limits. That makes the stretch of highway from Kerrville to El Paso interesting sometimes when others are going 80-85 mph.

I got 3 warring stops while tow on NON-interstate roads in my last trip through TX
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We usually stay inland near Mission. It isn't windy there. Last winter we tried Benson Palm outside the birding center. Very nice park. We tried Harlingen one year but too windy.(Tropic Winds takes Thousand Trails if you are a member) Safest place to cross into Mexico is at Weslaco into Neuvo Progresso MX. We didn't like Brownsville, very poor area, dusty and windy. The beach at Padre is nice for a visit. We only do TX every 3 years as we still like Florida. Next time we may try PA, we also like San Antonio but it is colder than the valley. Try several places, most parks have openings for short term also some take Passport America for short stays so you can try the park.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Hawkeye02
Explorer
Explorer
The Brownsville area is nice...We have visited Weslaco several winters for just a couple of weeks..It is 6 miles from Progresso Mexico...we have parked and walked over many times and is considered a safe place to shop. We don't venture too many blocks and stay on the main streets...Many r.v. places to choose from and all the small cities run together and all cater to Winter Texans...Padre Island is about an hours drive...

Hawkeye02
Explorer
Explorer
The Brownsville area is nice...We have visited Weslaco several winters for just a couple of weeks..It is 6 miles from Progresso Mexico...we have parked and walked over many times and is considered a safe place to shop. We don't venture too many blocks and stay on the main streets...Many r.v. places to choose from and all the small cities run together and all cater to Winter Texans...Padre Island is about an hours drive...

CakeHenn
Explorer
Explorer
As far as Port Aransas goes we have stayed at Gulf Waters RV resort twice...it's hard to get a spot there and you need to call well in advance to reserve a spot. It's actually an owner based park and a property manager handles the reservations. Both times we have been we have been very happy. The first time we went last summer I could not get a spot there or at Pioneer and booked at Mustang Island State Park. A week before our trip I tried again and got a spot...someone canceled. I'm glad too...Mustang Island SP is a dump...I love state parks and we visit them often but the RV part of this par is pretty much a parking lot with one RV spot right next to the other. Pioneer is for sure nicer and the only other place I'd bother staying down in Port A...slots are certainly packed in tighter vs Gulf Waters but overall it's nice. We love being able to stay at a RV park that you can walk to the beach and has a swimming pool.

I searched on here and saw some older reviews of Gulf Waters and many were poor but only due to the property managers...I think in 2011 they may have gone with new management as all the staff we worked with and spot too were very nice and helpful. Our last full day there my daughter was a little sun burned and they were kind of beached out so I went into the office and asked about stuff to do and the lady working there was very helpful...she even asked the ages of our kids to be able to give age appropriate advice. We will be going back next summer and hopefully many more summers to come!

http://gulfwatersrvresorttx.com/
TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

sappersayce
Explorer
Explorer
Well this all sure does sound like good solid advice and we appreciate it. Just being full timers for the last two months has shown us how different each place can be. I believe we will absolutely head to the Texas coast and most likely bounce around and try a couple places.
Thanks again!

Explorer II
Explorer II
tatest wrote:
...I'd really rather winter in San Antonio, because I find it warm enough, like the multicultural atmosphere (which terrifies some people from culturally homogeneous places) and I like the services and activities available...
Sshhhh that was suppose to be our little secret :W
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Being from San Antonio, and having friends and or family in all of the places that have been mentioned, I would say, stay a month each in Rockport, Port Aransas, and San Antonio, then maybe somewhere in the Valley ( South Padre, Brownsville, etc., ). They are all multicultural, and you will have much the same situation that you have in any state, city vs. small town. San
Antonio will have more restaurants, shopping, etc. The others have a much smaller town atmosphere, but you are on the coast for the most part. Rockport is on the bay, while Port A is on the Gulf. As far as qualifying one area over the other as being more high end than the other, I think that is difficult to do. George Strait and Fully Clingman(retired CEO of HEB, one of Texas' most successful corporations and best grocery chain) own vacation homes in Rockport, as well as many other very successful folks. Port Aransas and South Padre are similar, with lovely homes in different areas, from the beach to housing developments and they are all over the lot. There are nice golf courses in both Port Aransas and Rockport, PA is public and Rockport is a private club. Both have good restaurants, however my experience has been that Port A does better in the high end restaurants. Rockport has a better grocery store, but you are maybe 25 minutes from a good store when in Port. A. The point being, it just depends on what you want, hence the advice to give each a try. I would say, if weather is is the most important thing on your list, the Rio Grande Valley is your best bet. Rockport seems to have more RV parks, definitely more resort parks. Port Aransas has Gulf Waters, which is a lovely park. We have 2 different friends who own lots there, and we have stayed there several times. It is pricier than some parks, but very nice and there is a sense of community there, but I am sure that exists in any number of parks. I think you just have to take some time to investigate. Good Luck with your decision and in any case, here's an early welcome to Texas, hope you have a great time, wherever you land!

Safe Travels,
Susan

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

I prefer Port Aransas to Rockport, and the Gulf Coast to the Rio Grande Valley, for atmosphere and the opportunity to do things that interest me. Others prefer Rockport, or Corpus Christi, or Houston, because their interests and needs are different. But all in all, I'd really rather winter in San Antonio, because I find it warm enough, like the multicultural atmosphere (which terrifies some people from culturally homogeneous places) and I like the services and activities available.

So go down, move around, check out different places in Texas, find what suits you.. While you are at it, don't miss checking out west Texas and SW New Mexico, From Davis mountains and Big Bend, over to White Sands and west. These places have their fans too, and have not yet turned into snowbird ghettoes. But a lot of people like the snowbird ghettoes too, as a community of "people like us."

The Corpus Christi/Rockport area is no less multicultural than San Antonio. Many times our winter Texans stay in your so-called "snowbird ghettoes" because the RV parks cater to the needs of elderly and disabled, plus they provide security. I am familiar with many Winter Texans who come to visit in the winter and become active in local churches and local charity work. Personally, I prefer staying in Goose Island State park or tent camping 55 miles down Padre Island National Seashore; but I don't ridicule winter Texans who stay in nice RV resorts. I'm happy they choose to come and visit.

I even appreciate visitors who come from the wrong bank of the Red River!:W
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound