Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Palms RV Resort in Yuma

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks:
Will be heading down to Yuma this winter for the first time. Have looked at RV Park reviews and also Good Sam to try narrow down the options.
I was wondering if anybody has any personal experience with The Palms RV Resort?
Also how about the Las Quintas Oasis and the Shangai-La Resort? I seen where these two are close to I-8 which may have more highway noise.
We don't have any pets so that's not an issue. Would like a park that will have exercise ammenities and GOOD space for the 5th wheel and my truck. Don't want any "sardine" parking parks.
Your actual personal experiences will definitely help.
Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

overhill7
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at Country Roads rv.Resort . I believe their sign said top rated rv park in Yuma.

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Del Pueblo RV park. It is on Avenue 3E, about 3 miles south of the marine base. This is our 3rd winter at this park & we really like it - big sites & lots of activities.
It was sold in August & the new owners have put in new pickle ball courts, which are great. There are also bocce courts, volleyball, tennis courts, shuffleboard, 2 pools & 3 spas, water zumba, golf leagues & lots of card games. The monthly rate here is $680, with lower rates for 3, 4 & 5 month stays. We do get a some jet noise but haven't found it to be intrusive.
The park is surrounded by orange orchards, which seems to decrease the dust when the wind blows.

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in 07 or 08 when they had been just open for a week. Nice but we were the only one there with maybe 10 other RVer's. Was a nice place
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Ruralgas wrote:
Hello Everyone:
Again, thank you to everyone for their replies. Much appreciated. It's all good advice for a person.
CardinalRule, sorry for the previous miss spelling of your name.
almcc, can you elaborate on which parks you have stayed at while in Yuma?
We have been to Yuma before, but just in the car and moteling for a couple weeks at the longest. I realize that 4 or 5 months is going to be much different. That is why I am looking for a park that has activities, fitness, hiking, will let me clean and polish my truck/trailer, good sites and good neighbors, etc.
We like a place with shopping and still not to big; like the much larger cities; with reasonable traffic. I also couldn't be where there was nothing to do or see. Just to sit around the trailer/ park would drive me crazy. Anyway. that is myself.
Keep the replies and experiences coming. With that hopefully I'll find something that is darn close to what I want.

We stay at Fortuna de Oro when we go through Yuma on our way west, it's in the Foothills and convenient to the highway. We've also stayed at Westwind and we've visited friends in other RV parks as well.

One other piece of advice, a number of the parks have a mix of park models/mobile homes and spaces for RV's, a couple of times when we reserved we got placed between 2 mobile homes, very tight as it was an older park and the mobile homes took up the complete sites on each side of us. Ask about that if you are reserving.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
changed my mind

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics of Sun Ridge RV in Yuma during a parade. We know nothing about the park.

Sun Ridge RV, Yuma, AZ
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
Ruralgas wrote:
Hello Everyone:
Again, thank you to everyone for their replies. Much appreciated. It's all good advice for a person.
We have been to Yuma before, but just in the car and moteling for a couple weeks at the longest. I realize that 4 or 5 months is going to be much different. That is why I am looking for a park that has activities, fitness, hiking, will let me clean and polish my truck/trailer, good sites and good neighbors, etc.
We like a place with shopping and still not to big; like the much larger cities; with reasonable traffic. I also couldn't be where there was nothing to do or see. Just to sit around the trailer/ park would drive me crazy. Anyway. that is myself.
Keep the replies and experiences coming. With that hopefully I'll find something that is darn close to what I want.

No problem with the name spelling. Most parks have the requirements re: activities and vehicle cleaning. For the most part be a good neighbour and others will respond in kind. Anything above MINOR vehicle maintenance is frowned upon in most parks. There are lots of hiking, trail riding and golfing, clubs in Yuma with members in most parks. Just watch the bulletin boards. Most parks have a variety of exercise options including aerobics, aquasizes zumba, excersise rooms etc. For me it came down to a park with acceptable sites.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck ๐Ÿ˜ž )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone:

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Ruralgas, we are in a sister park to Sun Ridge on the same street, Western Sands. As I tell everyone who has never been to Yuma for the winter, DO NOT make any long term reservations without a see and drive-thru. There are no two parks created equal. Many parks were built before sides, many are very close to the Union Pacific railroad tracks north of I-8. The word "Resort" is a very loose term. The advertising for Western Sands says it is resort. Yeah, and I've got some Florida land for sale. WE enjoy the park as it will be our 12th year there, but certainly not a "Resort". There is always somewhere to stay awhile scoping out the situation as there are about 73 RV parks in the Yuma area. There are also private lots available for rent in the Foothills area.

This advice is very good. In addition to your park preferences there is also the issue of Yuma itself, will you like it?

We have stayed in Yuma for a few years, we have also rented an RV lot in the Foothills for a month and we have stayed in RV parks as well. For us, it isn't a "destination" but we do stop there for a few days on our way to and from southern California. We like to shop in Yuma and get some truck maintenance done but it's too busy for our liking and the RV parks we've stopped at are tight, having been built before the "slide era"

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ruralgas, we are in a sister park to Sun Ridge on the same street, Western Sands. As I tell everyone who has never been to Yuma for the winter, DO NOT make any long term reservations without a see and drive-thru. There are no two parks created equal. Many parks were built before sides, many are very close to the Union Pacific railroad tracks north of I-8. The word "Resort" is a very loose term. The advertising for Western Sands says it is resort. Yeah, and I've got some Florida land for sale. WE enjoy the park as it will be our 12th year there, but certainly not a "Resort". There is always somewhere to stay awhile scoping out the situation as there are about 73 RV parks in the Yuma area. There are also private lots available for rent in the Foothills area.

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
Ruralgas wrote:
Hello CaedinalRule:
You wouldn't by any chance have some pictures of the Sunridge Park? I don't see a web site that has any pictures and in talking with some lady for that park, she doesn't have any.
I would like to get a good view of this park to see what it actually looks like; their streets, their sites, etc. Any help that you or anyone can provide would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Sorry I Don't. The park is about 15 years old, The streets are nice and wide. Asphalt is in need of some maintenance but perfectly acceptable. The sites are about 50' deep and approx 40' wide. There is an ally - lane about 10" wide between the rows of trailers. You don't feel like you are right up against your neighbours. Lots of room for multiple slides and parking for 2 vehicles. They advertise the largest sites in Yuma but I have't been to all the parks so that may be arguable. The parks I've been in are not any larger and most definitely smaller. Maybe you can zoom in on Google Earth. It gives you a good idea. The maps are at least 4 years old as all the sites now have a Palo Verde (sp) tree in front of them.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck ๐Ÿ˜ž )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello CaedinalRule:
You wouldn't by any chance have some pictures of the Sunridge Park? I don't see a web site that has any pictures and in talking with some lady for that park, she doesn't have any.
I would like to get a good view of this park to see what it actually looks like; their streets, their sites, etc. Any help that you or anyone can provide would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't have time to chime in yesterday. Real work experience with The Palms. We spent the month of February last year relying on advice from this forum. We wrote one of those positive reviews on RVparkreviews.com. The commercial over flights are few. I don't remember any during the night. Yes, there is some noise from the Marine base but didn't really bother us. It was kind of fun to see what was in the air.

The monthly rate worked out to $30 plus a few bucks for electricity. Like the pools, hot tub, gated security and nice grass dog areas. If you are into the activity thing, it is a really great place. Concerts, car show etc. The staff and guests were very friendly. Especially enjoyed the Canadians. The Palms is conveniently located. This is important since Yuma traffic is a pain for us country mice.

We thought it was nice enough that we'll be back this February. The Palms is a good example of you get what you pay for. We looked at some other parks while we were there and they just didn't pass muster for us. Yes, they were a lot cheaper, but again, you get what you pay for.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Ruralgas wrote:
I just wanted to once again thank everyone for their input. Actual experiences are valuable, as there are a lot of parks to chose from.
CardinalRule, I will definitely look at Sunridge park again. I looked at before, but the reviews mentioned management problems.
Looked at the above mentioned Welton area, but I think that distance is to far from the Yuma shopping and also from Algodones. We will be going back for some dental work.
I've also looked at Cocopah Resort. Looks promising, but my wife and myself are not into golfing; however I see that they have a Speedway track and wood work shop.
Anybody else that has experiences, please keep them coming.

More that half of the people who stay at Cocopah don't golf. If you want large sites, unlimited activities, quiet, access to Algodones it is the place for you. It has went through a major renovation this
summer. We have lived there for 6 months every year for 10 years. Can't wait to get back. If you decide, reserve now, as Cocopah will be full this year.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN