cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Themed Trips

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herself and myself are planning our annual themed trip. Thanks to "Longmire" we'll be going with the cowboy theme for the trip. Starting off in South Dakota, we'll travel to Wyoming, Montana, Alberta (to catch the Calgary Stampede), Saskatchewan, North Dakota and back home. Beautiful country up that way.

Our last themed trip we went to Nova Scotia via New England visiting Scottish and Irish heritage spots, especially Cape Breton. Great memories. The year before we visited railway hubs and sites with museums. Before that we did an Amish country trip.

Are you planning a themed RV adventure this year?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
8 REPLIES 8

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airshows!!! Why didn't I think of that?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess we mush all of our themed trips together.

We lay out a route, sort of, & times, also sort of, then start looking for what is on where along the way or what can be done with a deviation from the route.

We are always looking out for bluegrass festivals, rodeos, celtic festivals, highland games, airshows plus the unusual like lawnmower racing.

So far we have done well. We have been to a number of bluegrass festivals. A few multiple times. We have done a few celtic festivals & highland games. A few small town rodeos plus the Calgary Stampede. The smalltown rodeos are, by far, better.

It takes some digging a & scratching around the internet to make it all come together but the end result is always a fun & varied trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
We have 2 we want to do.

1. Frank Lloyd Wright things (Falling Water, Guggenheim etc).
2. Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations.

Those sound great!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 2 we want to do.

1. Frank Lloyd Wright things (Falling Water, Guggenheim etc).
2. Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alfred622 wrote:
I've not heard or thought about Themed Trips before! I find this an interesting and intriguing concept and would like to learn more about this. Are there any articles, websites, or postings about themed trips?

For your Cowboy trip, be sure to stop into Cody, Wyoming. Catch the rodeo and the Buffalo Bill Museum - those were winners for us several years ago.

We have Cody as a must see.

Themed trips are something we started doing in the 70s. No blogs or websites. Our travels reflect our interests like many folks. We simply organize those interests into themes and it works well. Over the years we've visited observatories, Hutterite Colonies, etc. some themes may take two years or more to visit every place on the list.

TyroneandGladys wrote:
We did a foreign city theme trip Athens Georgia, Paris Texas, Hamburg Arkansas for examples
This is a great idea :c

Magnus

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Themed trips are a wonderful way to enjoy the RV lifestyle. No - we are not planning any for this year.
But - your cowboy theme is great. We have traveled most of that country and several things come to mind:

While in the Dakotas be sure to take in the ND Badlands - Theo. Roosevelt National Park.
Waterton NP in Alberta should be on your route. From there take Highway22 from Pincher Creek to Cochrane Alberta. Our favorite cg is Bow River Edge CG in Cochrane. Great western Alberta ranching/ cowboy museum there. And easy access to the Calgary Stampede via light Rail (station close to that CG. Reservation required there always but especially during Stampede time ( do it now!!)

Back on Highway 22 - be sure to stop and take in the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site
Also - in Pincher Creek see the Kootenai Brown Museum.

Other special site may come to mind later. PM me if you want more details.
John

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We did a foreign city theme trip Athens Georgia, Paris Texas, Hamburg Arkansas for examples
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
I've not heard or thought about Themed Trips before! I find this an interesting and intriguing concept and would like to learn more about this. Are there any articles, websites, or postings about themed trips?

For your Cowboy trip, be sure to stop into Cody, Wyoming. Catch the rodeo and the Buffalo Bill Museum - those were winners for us several years ago.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....