Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Three deaths on Wave trail

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
This should open the eyes of anyone thinking they want to visit the Wave:

Wave

I've read the story of one well known photographer who spent the night out on the redrock after staying too late and loosing the light. The trail is marked by small cairns (piles of rocks) on the redrock surface of the trail and can be difficult to find even in daylight. Photographers of course want the sunset light for spectacular photos and need to be very careful.

This would be a good place to make sure you have a GPS with you and have the starting and ending waypoints entered before you leave. I would not trust a cell phone to do this either.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
21 REPLIES 21

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We have done a lot of hiking - some pretty extreme - and seen a lot of things; some truly beyond comprehension.

About a month ago, DW Barbara and I came up with a one word response to most anything. Simply ----

P E O P L E !
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
And strollers! Why do people think national parks and recreation areas are like city parks!

Strollers work just fine in LOTS of national parks. I have done numerous trails (even in Alaska state parks) with kids in a backpack and kids in a high-end jogging stroller. Stroller had a snug 5-pt harness and a secure emergency strap to the handle that was ALWAYS tied to my wrist/waist. Sometimes it rolled on it's wheels, sometimes it was carried between DH and I. We had numerous rangers over the years of using the stroller compliment us on "getting it done" with infants/toddlers.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I hiked to the Wave about 10 years ago when were in our 50s. It was mid-May and the temps were in the 90s but that was the coolest time we could go since we had only his summer break from teaching to vacation. Coming from Florida, we're accustomed to high temps, but the lack of humidity really sucks you dry.

We had water-filled camel-backs, plus several quart bottles of Gatorade each, salty snacks and high protein munchies. By the time we got back to our Jeep we'd gone through most of it but were in good shape. The rangers had warned us to drink before we felt thirsty and we made it a point to stop for a bit of water or Gatorade every 15-20 minutes.

As previously mentioned, there is no trail and following the scattered rock cairns would have been risky because they didn't seem to follow any one route. The crude map was most useful for the landmarks it gave. Even with the route co-ordinates pre-programmed into our GPS we got off once but were able to get back on track quickly because we checked the GPS frequently. We saw only a few other people that day. Most were well-prepared.

The most shade we found was cast by the high "walls" of the Wave itself. An occasional rock "spire" along the way across the slick rock offer some, but it was generally only enough for one person at a time.

Now that we're retired, we'd love to go back in cooler weather. It's an amazingly beautiful place, well worth the effort it takes to get there. However, it isn't for everyone. The problem is that people often overestimate their abilities and underestimate the difficulty and/or danger of the situation. I live on a barrier island and see it all the time. People who drown because they don't think the warnings about rip currents apply to them. It's sad when something like this happens.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We hiked The Wave in May a year ago in 90 deg heat and it was brutal. We are hikers and have hiked in deserts and up mountains for much further distances but this was a real test for us. We each carried 2 gal of water and let me tell you, it definitely was not enough. The hike is 6 miles round trip. There is no trail and no cairns to show the way (perhaps there were years ago as stated above, but not now). You are given a hand-drawn map with landmarks (rock formation or mountain shapes on the horizon). No two people will walk the trail the same way so it would be very easy to miss someone laying down in need of help. There is virtually no shade out there and the last push to the actual Wave formation is up a steep hill of very deep sand. This is not a typical 6-mile hike. It's very strenuous and mostly uphill the first 3 miles. There are many desert 'washes' (dry river beds) and if you get into a wrong one it can get you even deeper off the route. It sounds like that's what happened to the first couple. Even having a GPS can get you going in circles. There is no cell phone reception for 30-40 miles.

To explain further..this is a highly protected area to preserve it. If there was a regular marked hiking trail there would be hundreds out there every day and it would be ruined. To keep that from happening only 20 people/day are allowed on the hike and people from all over the world want to do it so therefore, the lottery. If you are chosen by the lottery and have waited years to do the hike, the majority of people will do it regardless of the weather and heat. They just want to do it. If chosen you are required to attend a thorough orientation on what to expect. However, even if you're in good condition, that hike is difficult. Yes, it was a very sad thing for those deaths.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We take multiple bottles of water when we are just out running errands! Learned the first time we went to elevation on our honeymoon just how hard it can be to adjust, especially us flatlanders. My town is a whopping 93 feet above sea level. Some people just don't get it or don't think nature's rules apply to them. The woman who just died left small children behind. Sad.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I almost stayed out too late in a long hike at Big Beam MP in TX a few years ago. It gets dark quickly. When I got to the end of the hike, it was near a road and I found a ride back to the campground. If I had taken the trail back, I would NOT be writing this now.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
We witness a lot of uneducated decisions here in New Mexico. Last year a family from Florida was up on Sandia Mountain which is 10,678 with one 20 oz bottle of water wanting to hike down the mountain! Coming from sea level and wanting to do that is a way for our rescue crews to be called out. Not smart! Not only are you risking altitude sickness but also dehydration, people don't realize it but the altitude and heat in the southwest really can be dangerous.

Sheila aka....
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

photonut4
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
photonut4 wrote:
Witnessed a lot of stupidity at Mt. Rainier National Park a few days ago. On the trail we took, parts of it was snow covered on a steep slope. The sign posted recommended an ice axe, although hiking poles were sufficient. However, we watched several people navigate these areas in sandals and no poles at all. All it would have taken was one slip in those sandals, and they would have fallen down the mountain. I cannot believe people can be so cavalier about their lives.

I hope the sign also said what the ice axe/poles is/are for, because I'd bet that not one person in a hundred knows how to use them to stop their sorry selves from sliding off a mountain.

Nope. Just a sign recommending them.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
photonut4 wrote:
Witnessed a lot of stupidity at Mt. Rainier National Park a few days ago. On the trail we took, parts of it was snow covered on a steep slope. The sign posted recommended an ice axe, although hiking poles were sufficient. However, we watched several people navigate these areas in sandals and no poles at all. All it would have taken was one slip in those sandals, and they would have fallen down the mountain. I cannot believe people can be so cavalier about their lives.

I hope the sign also said what the ice axe/poles is/are for, because I'd bet that not one person in a hundred knows how to use them to stop their sorry selves from sliding off a mountain.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Just the thinning for the heard. Darwin at his best.
We don't have a pollution problem!!!!
WE HAVE A POPULATION PROBLEM!!!!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

photonut4
Explorer
Explorer

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
A young couple with one small bottle of water each and wearing flip flops started out while we were there. Commented to the ranger "how long before they need to be rescued"? Ranger said "I give them maybe 3 hours". It was two before they had to be taken out because their flip flops melted and they were suffering from dehydration.

Oh goodness! Flipflops! I see people on trials with them all the time. And not the hiking sandals with the Vibram soles, just plain old cheap rubber flip flops. And strollers! Why do people think national parks and recreation areas are like city parks!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Wave trail in the spring about 10 years ago. I didn't have a GPS back then but I do remember the trail was marked with rock cairns. The trail was more like five or six miles round-trip, not ten. I don't remember having any problem following the path.

Even in April it was hot and there was no shade to be found. I can't imagine doing the hike in July.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sad.

It'll be even sadder when the lawsuits start alleging someone else's responsibility for the dead folks' lack of preparedness.

Total closure soon to follow...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien