Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for California early April RV trip

abp615
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

My family (2 adults, 2 kids) is planning our first RV vacation. We will go from San Jose area to Carmel, then to Morro Bay. We have a few days then want to spend time in Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, then have one night to spend to get back to the Bay Area.

Any tips on the best spot to stop along I-5 that might have some fun stuff to do that is midway?

Any tips on best places around LA - we don't need to get in and see the city and in fact are prioritizing safe roads for RV-ing since it's our first time.

Any advice on routes and even specific campgrounds would be welcome. We have reserved one night in Morro Bay and two nights at a campground in Joshua Tree (this one with no hookups).

Thanks so much and happy to review old posts but I didn't see anything specifically related.

~ABP615
19 REPLIES 19

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
Another good stop on the way down is Pismo Beach. Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is nice. Weather is great in that area.

Reservations mandatory at Pismo Coast RV Resort and it is most expensive park and sites are packed like sardines. There are 2 state parks within 1/4 miles. electricity/water in the park. The other has elec./ water but not at every site. Both have park dumps.

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a spot in Monterey yet? Marina Dunes is a full hook up campground before Monterey on Hwy 1. Drove through it and its packed but adequate for a night. If you are driving through to Carmel, there is a RV park on the Carmel River. From there you can drive into Big Sur or just go as far as Point Lobos SP. You will have to park the Motorhome out on the Hwy and walk into the park, its definitely worth it and a great alternative to driving into Big Sur. From Carmel, back track up to Monterey and take Hwy 68 over to 101 to get down to Paso Robles to take 41 over to Morro Bay.
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

awoodwaring
Explorer
Explorer
Aim for a Thursday night Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Another good stop on the way down is Pismo Beach. Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is nice. Weather is great in that area.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with avoiding going through LA unless you go through at night or early morning on a weekend. Commute traffic is bad. I prefer going through Bakersfield and then down Hwy 395 South to I210 East and I10 East. Have a great trip and make reservations soon. I didnโ€™t see if you stated what time of the year you want to go as Palm Springs and Joshua Tree are very hot (can get well over 100 degrees) in late Spring through late Summer. Also, what type of RV you have for traveling down the coast. If you decide to go through LA, you can stay at Valencia RV Village (off of I5) and take the kids to Magic Mountain.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to go down Hwy 1 south of Monterey, there is a beautiful park set back from everything. Julia Pheifer Park is great. They have a small river, creek, that has a dammed up area. Great for swimming. Lots of hiking and beauty.
If the campground is full they will let you dry camp way in back for a lesser fee.

abp615
Explorer
Explorer
Gorgeous photos! Thank you so much to all the posters - these are great suggestions. I will get my map out and rethink the trip. Also will make sure we are not on Highway 1 north of San Simeon. I don't think we're ready for those routes.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your route, another dry campground that has interesting backdrops for the campsites & some nice hikes is Red Rock Canyon State Park in California near Cantil.

Some of my photos of the park.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
abp615 wrote:
Thank you! I like the idea of skipping LA totally and going through Bakersfield. Thanks so much for that idea and for the specific ideas in PS, JT, etc. the four hours or 400 miles rule of thumb is very helpful too.

Thanks so much.

If your kids love trains, (who doesn't) then be sure to stop and see the Tehachapi Loop. Only one of it's kind. There is also a fuel stop at the top of the hill if you don't want to stop in Bakersfield. Also, there is an airplane bone yard in Mojave that's interesting. Be safe...Dennis

Tehachapi Loop
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MrWizard
I have lived in calif 42v years and I still haven't been to Joshua Tree
But I love Sequoia Nat Pk, kings canyon, Mount lassen park (plug Dome volcano) bubbling mud pots etc,

Calif hw1, is beautiful I drove it once with a pickup and popup trailer, I will NOT drive
that road near Morro Bay etc with a motorhome , maybe in a converted van camper, NOT in a 102 inch wide motorhome, not anywhere north of Pismo
San Simeon south I'm ok with
Jalamma Beach Santa Barbra county , great place off the beaten track, great surf, wind surfing , surf fishing, lots of beach , even when the campground is full, the beach seems empty, because it is so large, accepts reservations,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
"I drive a max of 4hrs. or 400 mile per day, whichever comes first."

Ummm...how can 400 miles ever come first. That would mean you are driving 100 miles per hour. Am I thinking correctly?

OP, if you happen to drive on 58, consider staying the night in Tehachapi. Mountain Valley RV Park is next to a glider airport. Also, you can take a self-guided drive through the wind farm:
Tehachapi Wind Farm Tour
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

abp615
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I like the idea of skipping LA totally and going through Bakersfield. Thanks so much for that idea and for the specific ideas in PS, JT, etc. the four hours or 400 miles rule of thumb is very helpful too.

Thanks so much.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark, how many days have you done 400 miles in 4 hours? Just estimate. lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
As a kid I always enjoyed any stay where there was someplace to swim or climb rocks or visit nature centers/museums. Carmel and Morro Bay provide some good sights to see and things to do along the way and in town.

Palm Springs ride the tram to the top of San Jacinto Mountain. Also visit the https://www.indian-canyons.com/ and from trip advisor here are some museums:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g11789173-Activities-c49-Greater_Palm_Springs_California.html

Joshua Tree lots of great hikes be sure to get a brochure with a list and map of all the things to see while in the park. The town of Joshua Tree look for murals painted on the side walls of businesses around town. The murals depict the history of the area.

Near Joshua Tree and North of Yucca Valley off of Hwy 247 is Pioneer Town. It was used in many of the old western TV shows and movies and in recent music videos. It has seen better days but was interesting to visit as a kid.

April can be cold, windy and rainy with possible snow around Joshua Tree or it can be sunny and in the 80's...so be prepared and check the weather reports for flash floods.