cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tombstone AZ Area

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've researched all about the Tombstone area and can see what is in the area from the private tour, mine (which I think is closed), food, drinks and shows up and down Allen St.

My question comes more to "What is really open during mid-April. I've been in AZ in July, 131'F and Quartzite in April. Q is closing down at that time and in July there is only hibernating from the heat. We will be in Lake Havasu City and Gilbert for the last two weeks of April but what is still open in the second week of April in Tombstone.

We eat simple and it seems that is Tombstone and neither of us drink much beyond Coke.

Does it close down in this time like Quartzite?
What are the 'don't miss' attractions?
Are there unknown areas that do not show up on Internet searches?

Thanks.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
15 REPLIES 15

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Tombstone Territories Resort halfway between Huachuca City and the city of Tombstone. Great RV Park centrally located for visiting the area in both directions. 11 miles to Tombstone and 12.5 miles to Huachuca City.

You can review our visits to Tombstone, Bisbee and Fort Huachuca starting here.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Bisbee much more than Tombstone.
Jack and Nina

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Another nearish attraction is the Fort Huachuca Museum. You will need to show Id and get a visitors pass to access the post but the little bit of hassle is worth it if you want info on the role the fort played in the area. The museum is in the old fort area which means you must drive through almost the whole main post to get there. It is closed Sun and Monday. yelp Link

The Fort has a Buffalo Soldier museum & an Intelligence Museum both worth seeing. While in the area Old Tuscan is a western movies set that's produced 100's of movies. Kartchner Caverns was really nice and there is a State Park there, make reservations it fills fast. We stay at the park when visiting the area, Tombstones just a short drive.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Butterfield RV Resort in Benson and day-tripped to Tombstone, Bisbee, and Sierra Vista. I would second a visit to the Ft. Huachuca Museum (I was in Army Intelligence and it is now the Intelligence School). We also enjoyed the Bisbee Historical Museum, which had great mining exhibits, with some designed by curators at the Smithsonian. We both felt that Tombstone was just another tourist trap and only stayed a couple of hours.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Another nearish attraction is the Fort Huachuca Museum. You will need to show Id and get a visitors pass to access the post but the little bit of hassle is worth it if you want info on the role the fort played in the area. The museum is in the old fort area which means you must drive through almost the whole main post to get there. It is closed Sun and Monday. yelp Link
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
They charge you to get into Boothill in Deadwood SD too. Anything to make a $.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
The museum in Bisbee is definitely worth a stop. Fascinating info on the town, the area and the mines. If you decide on a Kartchner Cavern tour, reservations are a must. Get them ASAP as they fill up early and there is no admission except on a tour. Kartchner Caverns State Park is right next to the cave and reservations are recommended there too. Water and power at sites and a dump station.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at the Queen Mine RVP (full hookups) in Bisbee and day trip everything else. The view across the open pit from the park (a term used loosely in this case) is extraordinary. Take the tour. Several good restaurants in Old-Bisbee.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I wasnโ€™t aware the cemetery had started charging admission, but havenโ€™t been there in several years. Not surprising. Enjoy your trip...if I was going to pay for just one thing it would be the courthouse. Iโ€™ve enjoyed it every time Iโ€™ve visited (used to be quite often with friends and family visited us, but most of our visitors now have been there already) and always see something new there. Lots of fascinating history.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tips. I realize most has become money making to keep the city alive. We saw the same upscale prices when we went to Oatman a couple years ago but it is still worth the trip.

I'll look more at the cave, mine, walking and walking tours. We usually will go through the stores but don't usually find anything we can't live without unless DW thinks the g'kids 'need' something.

We plan on staying at Tombstone RV Park on 80 since we have the toad and are only allowing two nights before heading up to Lake Havasu City and Cat Tail Cove.

Thanks again for the info.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
How can Boothill Cemetery charge folks to view the cemetery? As far as I know, it's unlawful to charge folks to visit a cemetery. How can they force folks to prove they are related to anyone buried in that cemetery? If I were distantly related to anyone there, I wouldn't pay money to see the grave site. And when we were there in 2014, the folks running the gift shop told us that. They couldn't charge folks to view the grave yard.

Also, the Gunfight at OK Coral was fought downtown. It was not fought in the OK Coral itself. Instead, it was in a then open lot next to Allen Street. The OK Coral was next to the vacant lot, facing another street.

When we were visiting Tombstone, we found it to be a large tourist thing. Everything but Boothill cost money to do. The vacant lot where the gun fight was held has now been walled off so money has to be spent to see the recreation. But I was glad I went there. I was able to walk the same streets as the Cowboys, and Wyatt and Doc, etc.

There is one other attraction I though was interesting was the Tombstone Epitaph. It was free. The original building where the paper was printed is now used as a museum by the paper. It has the old printing press, plus a lot of photos etc especially following the life of the guy who originally established the paper.

Nutinelse2do wrote:
bigorange wrote:
Agree on whatโ€™s already been said, especially Kartchner Caverns and Bisbee.

In Tombstone itself the OK Corral shootout is worth seeing and the courthouse is great for the historic perspective. There are a couple of saloons we enjoy with decent food. A few other touristy things and the Boothill Cemetery is worth a visit too and itโ€™s free

Watch the movie before you visit...makes it a little more fun.

Boothill Cemetery is 3.oo per person now, and I think under 12 is free. Now is the time when everything is open. Not so sure in the Summer.

Lady we spoke to at the Court House/ Museum, ( Which is the only thing worth the money ), told us... plan on at least 10.00 per person, per โ€œ attraction โ€œ, and if youโ€™re going to eat, bump it up.

The Museum/ Court House tells the TRUE history of the area.

The walking tour is the second best, which also is factual.

The food there is not cheap, nor is anything else, but they have some very nice Western stores.

The actual place where the shoot out happened is on Hwy 80, before you turn into town.

Chiricahua National Monument is worth checking out. It will most likely be too hot to hike any time other than early morning.

Have a great trip
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:

In Tombstone itself the OK Corral shootout is worth seeing and the courthouse is great for the historic perspective. There are a couple of saloons we enjoy with decent food. A few other touristy things and the Boothill Cemetery is worth a visit too and itโ€™s free

Boothill Cemetery is 3.oo per person now, and I think under 12 is free. Now is the time when everything is open. Not so sure in the Summer.

Lady we spoke to at the Court House/ Museum, ( Which is the only thing worth the money ), told us... plan on at least 10.00 per person, per โ€œ attraction โ€œ, and if youโ€™re going to eat, bump it up.

The Museum/ Court House tells the TRUE history of the area.

The walking tour is the second best, which also is factual.

The food there is not cheap, nor is anything else, but they have some very nice Western stores.

The actual place where the shoot out happened is on Hwy 80, before you turn into town.

Chiricahua National Monument is worth checking out. It will most likely be too hot to hike any time other than early morning.

Have a great trip
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's not much right in Tombstone and weekends are more active. However, plenty to do in the outlying areas.

The Queen Mine Tour is open and is in nearby Bisbee. It's highly recommended and is given by former miners. You don a yellow slicker, helmet with a light and get on the mine car for the tour. No walking needed.

http://www.queenminetour.com/

Kartchner Caverns State Park also has an excellent tour of a living cave and very professionally done. It also has a very nice campground with electric.

Lots of nice hiking in the Sierra Vista area. The Chiricahua Nat'l Monument is very unique and hiking is great.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel