cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Skiing While Boondocking, Eastern Sierra

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got back from a week of boondocking near June Lake, Calif., and managed to combine camping with skiing, something we had never done before. Here is the blog post -- I hope that you enjoy it and that it takes your mind off the news for a few minutes:

Blog post -- lots of photos

And here are some sample photos. The first one is of "lenticular clouds," and the second is the view from our campsite at sunrise:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
8 REPLIES 8

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Phil, that's a trick question --with the furnace or without? We always run the furnace at shower-time in the late afternoon for ten minutes or so, to get the temp up to 70. Dw hates getting out of a hot shower into a cold room, and I can't blame her.

Other than that, the temp inside the trailer was usually around 50 during the day. That sounds cold, but lots of folks go to football games in 20 degree weather. 50 is a piece of cake -- fleece vests, thermal underwear, warm fuzzy hats, hot drinks. A nice change from endless 70 degree weather in Southern Calif.

At night, the temp was usually in the high 30s or low 40s. Down comforter, blankets, etc. -- great "sleeping weather."

Let me emphasize that we are not very rugged folks -- we enjoy being comfortable in seemingly-adverse conditions. The cold wind howls outside, and we are bundled up in the trailer. Very pleasant!!

Thanks for the details Dan ... about what I thought would be the case. ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW: How you guys camp are not for us though. For example ... we have two ways of heating our stick house and even then I sleep under an electric blanket at nights there. In the RV we keep it only slightly cooler inside than how we keep our stick house inside.

P.S. Keep up the fantastic travel reports - you guys are doing it right - RV interior temperatures notwithstanding!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the view. Looks like a wonderful adventure.

If you ever put together a caravan or group gathering.... please count me in ๐Ÿ˜‰

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, that's a trick question --with the furnace or without? We always run the furnace at shower-time in the late afternoon for ten minutes or so, to get the temp up to 70. Dw hates getting out of a hot shower into a cold room, and I can't blame her.

Other than that, the temp inside the trailer was usually around 50 during the day. That sounds cold, but lots of folks go to football games in 20 degree weather. 50 is a piece of cake -- fleece vests, thermal underwear, warm fuzzy hats, hot drinks. A nice change from endless 70 degree weather in Southern Calif.

At night, the temp was usually in the high 30s or low 40s. Down comforter, blankets, etc. -- great "sleeping weather."

Let me emphasize that we are not very rugged folks -- we enjoy being comfortable in seemingly-adverse conditions. The cold wind howls outside, and we are bundled up in the trailer. Very pleasant!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan ... an easy question but with an answer that will probably amaze me: Once in your camping spot, what is the WARMEST that the interior of your trailer ever got while you were in it? :@
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Really not much to say but WOW. Pretty nice adventure there.

Thanks for the blog and the pix...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea. June Lake is an interesting place to visit, especially when it is not summer. Benton Hot Springs Road is open.

We sued to xc ski into HOt Creek.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another interesting post!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad