cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trout fishing in CO in July/August

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for an RV park on/near a river/lake for some fly fishing in July or August? Somewhere up in the mountains.

We have stayed at Tiger Run in Breckenridge but they seem to be pretty full according to their online booking system.
9 REPLIES 9

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great spots in the Gunnison area. There are enough people that share my spot already.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Do not tell anyone top secret
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
Great recommendations! I might have to steal a few of these for my upcoming trip. Thanks for all the info everyone!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I like to stay at Ridgway State Park and use it for a base. Fishing is usually good in the lake and in the feeder streams coming into it. For better fishing go west, over Dallas Divide, to where the highway crosses the San Miguel River, north of Telluride. Much of it is catch and release and is considered "trophy" waters. Or from Ridgway SP go east over Owl Creek road to fish the steams and lakes around Silver Jack Reservoir. I also enjoy fishing the Taylor River and that area north east of Montrose. The Taylor has some of the finest trout fishing in the state and often not too crowded. For lake fishing for trout, I like to go on west a bit more toward Norwood, then south a few miles to Lake Miramonte. Some of the fattest trout I have ever seen. It has a large supply of fresh water crawdads, big ones somewhat orange in color. The trout become real porkers from eating these guys as a main food source. It may be a gone fishery by this time though as I read somewhere that the Colorado Fist and Game Dept. was considering a total fish kill program there to clean out some invasive fish species, such as small mouth bass or something. Didn't seem to be a good idea to me, but they didn't ask me either.
Most of the streams and lakes between Gunnison and Montrose, south toward Ouray and north/south out of Gunnison are real prime trout fishing in Colorado.

Anywhere you are fishing in western Colorado, keep a close watch out for rattle snakes. The area north of the bridge on the San Miguel is a place to be especially watchful, but worth it. I always wear a pair of loose fitting hit boots for that reason. I was told when I moved to Colorado, that rattle snakes don't live above 8,000 ft of altitude, but there is one big snake, that lives over by Silver Jack, that never heard that story. ๐Ÿ™‚
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
havasu wrote:
Any suggestions for an RV park on/near a river/lake for some fly fishing in July or August? Somewhere up in the mountains.

We have stayed at Tiger Run in Breckenridge but they seem to be pretty full according to their online booking system.

Letโ€™s see โ€“

Lake City might work
Trout Lake
Stage Coach State Park
Ridgeway State Park
Creed, the town is in a pretty good river
Crested Butte
Silverton
Rocky Mountain NP
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Buena Vista
Gunnison
Pagosa Springs
Pearl Lake SP
Yampa River SP
Golden

Guess what Iโ€™m saying is itโ€™s hard to find a place that is not near a Lake or a Stream/River โ€“ look over all the state parks;

Map of SP's

While the SP's fill up early they also have a lot of no shows so you might still get in.

when I look back I'm not sure I can name a Park or CG that is not on or very close to water,

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all (except 2hands and yaa boo sux to you! lol)

I found the one in Creed and emailed them as I can't work out if the owned lots are rented out as they are ones on the waters edge.

I'm looking at Steamboat too - might try both ๐Ÿ™‚

Chinook
Explorer
Explorer
The Yampa river goes right through this campground.
Steamboat Campground

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We have a favorite trout fishing spot in Colorado, but we just can't tell you about it. Too many folks already know.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice park in Creed on the Rio Grande but I cannot remember the name. Good fishing there.

Edit: I looked it up. It is Mountain Views at River's Edge. Very nice and good fishing.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".