cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UP. Michigan

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Loading the coach this week to head North to the U.P. I was told I need to go to Pictured Rock. Anyone out there have any suggestions on where to go once we get there? We are staying in Sault Ste Marie ON. but might have a day on the way back to explore a little.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
15 REPLIES 15

larchambeau
Explorer
Explorer
Both boat tours are great.

Soo Locks tour takes you thru one of the locks up bound and later thru the Canadian lock on your return trip.

If you go to the Pictured Rocks, I highly recommend taking an afternoon tour. The weather is one factor, but not my primary one. Look at a map. The Pictured Rocks face into the lake, toward the Northwest, generally. With the afternoon sun coming around to the west, the P R are much prettier with that sun shining from across the water.

Per other comments, there is much more to the UP than just the Soo.
Thanks, Larry
No longer have my truck.
Seasonal all the way, now
2000 Sunnybrook 30RKFS 1-Slide 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone heading to the UP should know that the Keweenaw peninsula has been hammered by torrential flooding in recent days/weeks, and many roads in that area may still be impassable. It was bad enough that the Taco Bell in Houghton was swallowed by a sinkhole.

The Pictured Rocks boat tour is a must. There is also a company that rents pontoon boats if you want a more private experience.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
We were still in Marquette Monday, and the weather was in the 70's.
(very nice)

Please be aware that Black Fly Season will still be a consideration for another week or so. Even on Lake Superior, it can be miserable in the forest areas.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pirate wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I liked Bay Furnace CG, nice CG right on Lake Superior. You can drive hike pictured rocks or take the boat tour. You see more from the boat but the hike is nice also because you can cool off in the lake during the hike.
Any hook ups?
No hookups, unless they were added over the last several years. It is a NFS CG but has a dump and fill station.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Are you planning on a drive along the lake shore in ON. It looks very nice.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went to the top of the Copper Peak Ski Flying hill when we were in the UP last summer. It is located near Ironwood MI. You take a chair lift from the parking area up to the start of the elevator ride, next you climb up the ski flying structure. It was a beautiful day when I went to the top. If you are afraid of heights, don't even look at the tower. When you get to the top, you find that the floor is made of expanded metal mesh so you can look straight down and see that the top is cantilevered over the back of the hill and you can see the road below you.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I liked Bay Furnace CG, nice CG right on Lake Superior. You can drive hike pictured rocks or take the boat tour. You see more from the boat but the hike is nice also because you can cool off in the lake during the hike.
Any hook ups?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just did both the Soo locks boat tour and the Pictured Rock boat tour a couple weeks ago. They are both well worth it, but bring your jackets it's cold out the big lake.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
120+ mile drive each way from SSM to Pictured rocks (Munising.)

The LP is tall and the UP is wide.

Feeling adventurous? stay at the tourist park in Grand Marais. No reservations, get there early so you can swoop in as soon as someone leaves a lakefront site.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Expect the weather to be cool and often wet with mosquitoes even in summer.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
There is a NF CG a bit west of Munising, right along the lake. Grand Marais' Woodland Park cg is nice too.

If you like history, Fayette SP has historic buildings and artifacts.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I think there is a boat tour out of the Soo that takes you into Canada and, fortunately, back again.

Fortunately?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ข Take the pictured rocks boat ride, but dress warm !
โ€ข Miners Castle although one of the natural rock "towers" collapsed a few years ago
โ€ข Tahquamenon Falls, Upper and Lower
โ€ข Kitchitikipi (Big Spring) (very unique)
โ€ข Porcupine Mountains has several very beautiful views
โ€ข Google iron mine tour and copper mine tour
โ€ข Mackinaw Island (ferry from St Ignace or Mackinaw City)

They used to allow overnight parking (boondock, no facilities) along the southern coast off of US2 just west to the bridge.