cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Van Buren SP Michigan questions

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to stay at Van Buren SP on Sept. 12, 13. I have seen posts about sites 25 and 27 having flooding issues. Are there any other sites with issues? DH and I will be staying in the tent and other family members will be in the TT. There seem to be many sites available, debating on even making reservations. Is it a very long walk from the parking lot to the beach? The best I can tell it is a wide side walk. Can you drive on it to drop off someone at the beach? MIL had hip replacement a couple years ago and uses a cane. Is fishing permitted along the SP shore/beach? Can you fish off of the light house pier in South Haven? I read about a pier at north beach on the MI dnr web site. Do you know of any good fishing spots?
Thanks in advance!
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB
6 REPLIES 6

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the food ideas!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we'd take our various cabined powerboats or our 34' Catalina sailboat south from here, Saugatuck and South Haven were the usual ports of call. In South Haven, Clementines downtown South Haven was always on the docket of food and fun venues. Close (walking distance) from the marina on the other side of the river by crossing the Dyckman Ave bridge or just taking our dingy across the river. Been a couple years now since we've eaten etc there but was always very good and it's a quaint pub style place.

In Saugatuck, Coral Gables was our choice for better dining and it's right at the boat dock where we'd tie up to. The Johnson's (owner) were friends of ours and in the past also had a Coral Gables at the beach in our town. Fun times!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
And if you want an adult beverage or a bite to eat, try the Idler Riverboat in South Haven. The South Haven Ice Tea is really good, a little strong, but nice to have sitting on the top deck watching all the boats go by.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the comments. I will check out the 200's sites. There could be no rain in the forecast until we set up a tent. It's like magic. We will probably fish off of the piers. I will explain the walk to the beach with MIL. I think she can handle it. I would like to check out Taste, the tapa's restaurant in South Haven. It should be a fun but fast weekend!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Didn't have any rain over the 4th when we were there, so not sure which are subjet to flooding.

No you can't drive down to the beach and the last part is moderately steep (at least with a recent hip replacement)

I don't recall any signs saying no fishing off the beach but not sure you would have a lot of luck. Piers in southhaven would probably be a better bet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
South Haven, a 10 minute drive, has 2 piers with one of them being at the north beach. The other is a stones throw away on the other side of the channel. A lot of people fish from the piers.

The walk to the beach from the parking lot at the campground is a little long. You can take a bike down the wide sidewalk and get closer to the beach. But once you get down there, its worth it. Don't miss climbing the sand dunes if you can do it. I'm not sure on the flooding but the further east you get into the campground (sites around 200 I think) they seem a little higher up and shouldn't flood.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS