Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Virginia Creeper Trail

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Would like to camp and rided the creeper would like to start at Whitetop and camp there with my granddaughter has anyone been to Creeper Trail Campground.Any information at this time would to helpfully.

Thanks
Gary
Mooresville,NC
10 REPLIES 10

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
According to this,Grindstone is closed for now due to storm damage.http://www.vacreepertrail.com/camping.htm

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Curious if Creeper Trail Campground can accomodate a 40' motor home like mine.
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here you go....

CREEPER TRAIL VA

Lots of nice views in the summer time...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This trail looks like fun! We are thinking of heading out to VA and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

pamvanw
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been to Creeper Trail Campground, but are anxious to hear any reviews. it would be most convenient to camp in Damascus so that you end your bike ride back at the campsite...since I assume you'll want to start your ride at White Top and ride down hill 17 miles, vs riding uphill 17 miles! Bear Tree is a nice forest service campground that is a little closer than Grindstone and Grayson Highlands. All 3 of these campgrounds are very nice.
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Gary,

Grayson Highlands would probably be a good place. We researched doing the trail some and that is where we came up to be the best place. There are shuttles. The trail goes all the way to Abingdon though. If I remember correctly, Whitetop to Damascus is 17 miles and about the same on to Abingdon.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Family wrote:
camped here a couple years ago, but it was with my son's scout troop so the camper stayed home. I checked out the rv sites while i was there though. they are on top of a hill. Make sure you tell them how big your camper is because some of the sites were small. The park was clean but basic. They had a nice store with a grill also. You will not find a more convenient place to camp and do the creeper trail. You literally ride your bike from the campground to the trail head. Be sure to arrange a shuttle back to the campground. Also there is a little cafe about half way to town that you can park your bike and eat lunch, and take a little break. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

I stand corrected....I think JD is describing the Creeper Trail Campground. Have not stayed there. We would not tow our 31 ft camper to this location due to windy mountainous route. The 2 I mentioned above are doable tows for us.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

houstown
Explorer
Explorer
The top of Whitetop Mountain is very isolated. You might want to reverse your itinerary, Staying in Damascus, taking the van up to Whitetop and riding back down. Creekside campground is in Damascus, but it is small. Whatever you choose, you will really like the Creeper trail.

JD_and_Family
Explorer
Explorer
camped here a couple years ago, but it was with my son's scout troop so the camper stayed home. I checked out the rv sites while i was there though. they are on top of a hill. Make sure you tell them how big your camper is because some of the sites were small. The park was clean but basic. They had a nice store with a grill also. You will not find a more convenient place to camp and do the creeper trail. You literally ride your bike from the campground to the trail head. Be sure to arrange a shuttle back to the campground. Also there is a little cafe about half way to town that you can park your bike and eat lunch, and take a little break. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Closest campgrounds are Grayson Highlands St Park located off Hwy 58 N of Whitetop and Grindstone Campground near Troutdale.

Both have good atmosphere with wooded sites, Grayson has numerous hiking trails. Grindstone (Cradle of Forestry) is the cheaper of the 2. Both have elec/water hookups with hot showers available.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system