Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart overnight stays allowed or not allowed

1critter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there

I get so many conflicting reports about some do some dont and you can buy a book here that tells you or download a app that will tell you (at a cost of course)

Is there anywhere I can find out for free???

Thanks!
C.
70 REPLIES 70

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of Curiosity what do they say when they come out there to run you off? Do the police come? Or just the manager? I can fully understand why they do this Im just curious how it goes down.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
McZippie wrote:
When camping overnight at Walmart we never ask for permission and disregard the no overnight parking signs. Never had a problem. We also camp overnight at many other box stores and shopping centers. No one cares, they are asphalt parking lots that are open to the public.

Come on down to Florida and try that! :B

And BTW: They are 'privately owned' parking lots NOT public parking lots. The owners/lessee's of the property get to set what ever rules they want. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
When camping overnight at Walmart we never ask for permission and disregard the no overnight parking signs. Never had a problem. We also camp overnight at many other box stores and shopping centers. No one cares, they are asphalt parking lots that are open to the public.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

I suspect the blue-er the state the more likely that they'll have banned it.

BK

:h

Walmart parking is banned in whole States??? Which ones?

I said more likely not absolutely

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Supercharged....There is no Walmart in Sedona. .

Sure there is- ya just can't see it/get in the lot because of all the RV's plugging it up. :B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged....There is no Walmart in Sedona. However, the Cottonwood Walmart DOES allow overnight RV parking.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
donandmax wrote:
There are fewer and fewer Wal marts that allow parking overnight. If you ask most will say no. Not always their fault its the city ordinance that says no. Rv parks complain to the city (for obvious reasons) and up go the "no parking overnight" signs. We dont bother looking for walmart we just go straight to a rv park.

This has not been my experience at all. Most of the Walmarts I call still allow overnighting. I don't trust any online list. I always call customer service and ask if it's okay to overnight in my RV in their parking lot.

Regarding a comment by 2oldman....A friend of mine just found the other RVs and parked overnight in a Walmart lot, without asking the store for permission. They ALL got kicked out of the lot in the middle of the night!
You think they would do that in Sedona to.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
wski wrote:
Made a trip to Iowa a couple of years ago and always asked before parking. I think some people misunderstand the word overnight for camping. Call ahead, pull in and sleep and before you depart buy something in the store and thank the manager....
If you buy in the store over night is not free. Remember you could buy it esle where and help out a small store.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
donandmax wrote:
There are fewer and fewer Wal marts that allow parking overnight. If you ask most will say no. Not always their fault its the city ordinance that says no. Rv parks complain to the city (for obvious reasons) and up go the "no parking overnight" signs. We dont bother looking for walmart we just go straight to a rv park.

This has not been my experience at all. Most of the Walmarts I call still allow overnighting. I don't trust any online list. I always call customer service and ask if it's okay to overnight in my RV in their parking lot.

Regarding a comment by 2oldman....A friend of mine just found the other RVs and parked overnight in a Walmart lot, without asking the store for permission. They ALL got kicked out of the lot in the middle of the night!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
It's not free but if you buy the road atlas in Walmart there is usually a section in the back about the different Walmart locations and if I remember correctly there was something about overnight stays or camper friendly locations listed as well. With that being said...we've found it more expensive to stay at Walmart than at a campground. We would pull in and go in the store to stretch our legs" and grab a few things". A few things would turn in to a few things we didn't think of and next thing you know it cost more than a campground...and no hookups. We have done and still do the Walmart thing on occasion. It's generally a good place to pull in and rest but it's not a money saver if that's what your after.
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

wski
Explorer
Explorer
Made a trip to Iowa a couple of years ago and always asked before parking. I think some people misunderstand the word overnight for camping. Call ahead, pull in and sleep and before you depart buy something in the store and thank the manager....

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

BK

:h

Walmart parking is banned in whole States??? Which ones?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that there is a need to but it is only courtesy to ask. Better still, ask after you have done some shopping & still have the loaded cart. There is always something that you need in WM.

Noise? Some are. Some are almost as quiet as a typical CG. It all depends on location. Not every WM is right next to a highway.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
donandmax wrote:

That depends on where you live, I think in the south and non-coastal west it is still common. I know it is around here because I see RV's in the Walmart lot frequently setup to stay the night.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desertboy wrote:
I've only done it a few times, But I never asked, and I've never had anyone say a word to me..
I don't stay at WM anymore.. it's too noisy. But the few times I did, I found that asking is just an annoyance to them.

I know many on here say it's polite, but I don't think the store personnel find it to be so. Just find the other Rvs and park.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman