cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wanting to go to Grand Canyon in October

DebP
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone had a favorite Campgrounds by the Grand Canyon. We will be driving a 34ft Class A, dingy towing a jeep Cherokee. We would like full hook ups if possible, but not necessary. Any help sure would be helpful
21 REPLIES 21

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the north rim of the Grand Canyon the first week in October and had no problems with the temperature. We stayed at the park campground and arrived early so found a campsite with but we arrived fairly early. Ten years ago so might be crowded now.
They were closing a few days after we left.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to the South Rim in October and recommend it. Cool nights and warmer days when we were there. It depends on your luck with the weather. The north rim is higher elevation and, well, further north, especially where you will camp and much more prone to winter weather. I'd say, go for it, especially for the South Rim and Trailer Village. Reservations well ahead of time definitely recommended.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

OLDROADDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Ie been to the canyon in jan, feb, and oct. Weather was coooool,snow. Wet. Tourists everywhere busses full of them. Camp the trailer village, take extra shoes (your feet will get wet) and dont drive early, or late in the day. (Icey roads) try the food at El Tovar hotel.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a link to a blog post describing the South Rim in late October -- scroll down to October 27 to skip the Yellowstone/Tetons stuff:

GC in October
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Village is your best bet for FHU close to the canyon. You can use the shuttle system to get around w/o having to drive and find a place to park.

We were there this pass October 17th for a few days. The weather was great.

I highly recommend the IMAX theater in Tusayan, just outside the South gate. Almost as good as the helicopter flight, and a lot cheaper.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Village - South Rim. Been there 5 or 6 times, maybe more, and will be there for a week the third week in Sept. Get reservations.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon. Less people and congestion. RV park right on the edge and a few close by, check Bauers RV park. Great people and very accommodating.
:h Um, Bauer's is over 100 miles away!
Bauer's is much closer if you are on the North side of the GC and at the time it was the only RV site available.
Bauer's is still 100 miles and two hours drive each way from the north rim. One could even stay in Flagstaff or Williams and get to the rim quicker. I just wouldn't want the OP to head to Bauer's without realizing how far it is to the rim every day.

While the NR is indeed quieter, in October the sun angle is low enough to make photography more challenging from there. Besides for someone who hasn't been to the GC before, on the SR there are more view points more readily accessible plus more historic lodges and structures to explore than the NR. And yes, we have been to both rims. We were just at the NR last summer.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Add another vote for Trailer Village. We were there in September 2014 and it was a great stay.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon. Less people and congestion. RV park right on the edge and a few close by, check Bauers RV park. Great people and very accommodating.
:h Um, Bauer's is over 100 miles away!

Trailer Village is your best bet for FHU close to the canyon. You can use the shuttle system to get around w/o having to drive and find a place to park. On the south rim with more happening that late in the year. It isn't inconceivable to have snow on the North Rim by mid to late October.

We had snow in trailer village 4/17/15 - October is highly probable for snow

Bauer's is much closer if you are on the North side of the GC and at the time it was the only RV site available.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
DebP wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had a favorite Campgrounds by the Grand Canyon. We will be driving a 34ft Class A, dingy towing a jeep Cherokee. We would like full hook ups if possible, but not necessary. Any help sure would be helpful

I'm like a broken record for Trailer Village. I would not even go unless I had availability here. Location, location, location as well as FHU, AND elk walking through your camp site almost daily. Free shuttle picks you up at this RV park starting @ 4:30 a.m and goes till maybe 10:00 p.m. takes you anywhere in the park you want to go. Shuttle will also take you to neighboring town (Tusayan) if you wish.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
We have been several times in October. Yes we have seen snow, rain and sun. The weather never kept us from doing what we were going to do. The snow at least for us has been short events a couple inches tops that melted quickly (not that it couldnt be more I guess. Last year we were there no snow it was sunny. The rim was nice low-mid 60's but hiking down into the Canyon at Skeleton Point down the South Kaibab trail it was 90 according to the thermometer they had down there.
Seeing the canyon with a mantle of snow is just a different view as are the rain and clouds and fog that settle into the canyon. We were also there in June last year and it was only upper 50's with rain certainly abnormal for that time of year but nonetheless it was and we stilled enjoyed it.

In addition to the trailer village in the park there is another one right outside the park in Tusayan. It is less than a mile to the park and perhaps 5 miles to the GC Village on the rim. It is called Grand Canyon Camper Village it does have FHU's and is an ok park. We have stayed there a couple times because I waited to long to make reservations in the park.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip there in October as well. I hate having to book way in advance. It's the dumbest part of having a trailer these days. Part of the fun is not planning ahead. To many overachievers ruin it for us spontaneous people.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:

Be sure and check the weather, it could be snowing:(. Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon.

The later in the month, the more likely the will be snow on the North Rim.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at the south rim in October a few years ago -- beautiful, crisp weather. Yes, it could snow, but probably not much.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."