cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington DC

AirZone
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for campgrounds near Washington DC. Close enough to see the sites around the Capitol.
Don't really require full hook-up, only electrical. Travelling with a 27ft travel trailer.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
AirZone
18 REPLIES 18

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done Bull Run a few times. No traffic noise & 15 miles from metro station.

Last time in the area we did Lake Fairfax Park, Reston, VA. Like BR the rate is much less than Cherry Hill, very little traffic noise, just a little outside the beltway & not far from the Metro. Very roomy sites in the middle of a park. Not many seem to know about this one & it will be 1st choice from now on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
nancyjerry wrote:
We are staying at Greenbelt National Park in Md for our 1 St time. We will be there in a week. Doesn't have hookups but is $16 night and nearby metro. Just outside D.C.

If you're there now, could you comment on the "tick problem" at Greenbelt? Is this a real problem, or 'overblown'? I've read a few reviews that mention this problem. We're afraid of Lyme Disease.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.

We stayed at Greenbelt for several days last June and never had any ticks on us. We were in a tent, so one might think we'd be more prone to finding them than if we'd been in a RV. It will be interesting to see if there are certain times of year people have more problems with them.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:
We are staying at Greenbelt National Park in Md for our 1 St time. We will be there in a week. Doesn't have hookups but is $16 night and nearby metro. Just outside D.C.

If you're there now, could you comment on the "tick problem" at Greenbelt? Is this a real problem, or 'overblown'? I've read a few reviews that mention this problem. We're afraid of Lyme Disease.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer

RVFamilyTravelA
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill is great and close. Ask to be as far away from the highway as possible.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see, Cherry Hill is suggested the most. It's the closest and is a nice place (from what I hear). However, it's one of quite a few offerings:

Washington DC RV Park Roundup
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always used Bullrun when we toured or went to ballgames in DC. There is Metro station nearby and Metro is very easy to use and will take you near just about everything. Remember, during the day, parking is at premium in DC. Mush easier to take the Metro

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
We stayed a week at cherry hill and liked it a lot. Very convenient to everything DC via the metro. Very clean. The only complaint would be the noise. Due to the proximity to major highways, you get the constant highway drone.
One reason we picked Pohick. Very quiet at night, plus much more room between you and your neighbors.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a week at cherry hill and liked it a lot. Very convenient to everything DC via the metro. Very clean. The only complaint would be the noise. Due to the proximity to major highways, you get the constant highway drone.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We did Cherry Hill and was very satisfied.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Take the double decker bus tour. $45 per person and worth every penny
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cherry Hill without a doubt. There are a few cheaper alternatives,: Little Bennet,Pohick Bay,Bull Run, Prince William Forest, Adventure bound DC, However none opf the alternatives are quite as nice or quite as accommodating to tourist as Cherry Hill.
The alternatives are all decent places that I have been to, But they just are not as tourist friendly as Cherry Hill.
If you are already familiar with the DC area, the alternatives may work.
But if you are not familiar with the area stick with Cherry Hill.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Cherry Hill..without a doubt
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We considered Bull Run but ended up at Pohick Bay Regional Park. More woodsy and half the cost of Cherry Hill if all you need is electricity. We took the Yellow Line from Huntington station to get downtown. Pohick is also convenient to Mt. Vernon.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)