Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington state Seattle area suggestions wanted

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
We leave this weekend for a 16 day trip from Michigan to Washington. Because of the loooong drive, we have 3 nights each near Olympic, Rainier and North Cascades National parks.
Weโ€™re a family w kids ages 7, 11 and 13 and love all things outdoors (hiking, scenic drives, adventure parks, etc) and typical touristy stuff.
Just wondering what yโ€™all consider โ€œmust-doโ€ while weโ€™re out that way. Of course weโ€™ll cisit each park and the ocean as well. Just looking for more suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
16 REPLIES 16

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Olympic- Lake Ozette, Hoh Rain Forest, elk on the beach
Rainier- Ice Caves, hike to glaciers, Paradise, Ohanapecosh 1000 yo trees
N Cascades- get out and hike and notice the glaciation

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is another thought -- there is a hike at Rainier called Comet Falls. In early July, at around noon, the sun angle causes a really unusual phenomenon -- a circular rainbow! It is a pretty tough hike, but my 8 year old and 5 year old boys did it (30 years ago), with some coaxing.

When you get to the base of the falls, you walk as close to the water as you dare -- the rocks are slippery. You will get soaking wet (which is ok, since it can be pretty hot). But the spray rises up around you, surrounding you with a bright circular rainbow. The rainbow is not there in September, we discovered.

Bring a plastic bag to put your camera into. My wife, who is a rainbow and waterfall fanatic, said that this was one of the most amazing experiences of her life, which is quite a strong statement.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope these blog posts are helpful -- lots of photos and descriptions of hikes. This is a link to the first of three posts:

North Cascades/Mt. Baker/Olympics blog posts

The next two posts are about Rainier. On this trip, we were mostly on the north and east side of Rainier:

Rainier blog post

On this trip, we were mostly on the south and west side of the mountain -- scroll down to the part of the blog post that deals with Rainier:

A different part of Rainier
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

NatParkJunkie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Olympic national park is huge! Each section of the park has a different ecosystem. There's mountains, ocean beaches, lots of waterfalls, and rainforests. Sunset along Rialto and Ruby beaches is very pretty with the large rock formations. One of my favorite areas was the Hoh rain forest. I was there in the fall, and all of the trees were turning yellow, and dropping leaves onto the green ferns below. The Sol Duc falls are pretty too.
I was in a rental car on that trip and had to get back to Seattle for a conference, so I took the auto ferry from Bremerton back to Seattle. I didn't specifically plan it, but the ferry I was on was right at sunset....we came around the islands, and Mt. Rainier popped out of nowhere bathed in sunset pink light. It was spectacular! Then the ferry got into Seattle right at dusk, with the deep blue sky, as all the building lights starting to come on.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
alesis wrote:
Hey everyone,
We leave this weekend for a 16 day trip from Michigan to Washington. Because of the loooong drive, we have 3 nights each near Olympic, Rainier and North Cascades National parks.
Weโ€™re a family w kids ages 7, 11 and 13 and love all things outdoors (hiking, scenic drives, adventure parks, etc) and typical touristy stuff.
Just wondering what yโ€™all consider โ€œmust-doโ€ while weโ€™re out that way. Of course weโ€™ll cisit each park and the ocean as well. Just looking for more suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Are you military active or retired, or DOD civilian active or retired?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly another vote for avoiding Seattle. You get harassed by panhandlers and have to step over the homeless. Our rental car got broken into in broad daylight in a public parking lot-we lost thousands of dollars of personal items. We didn't take a ferry tour, just took them to get from one point to another, but I would highly recommend taking one if you get the chance.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI guys I already have CG reservations. We e had reservations since January :). Iโ€™m looking for activity suggestions.
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would visit Olympic National Park Elwa River section near Port Angeles, the Worlds largest science project is going on there. The USFS had construction companies tear out 2 Dams and two lakes and the Elwa River is running wild again for the first time in a hundred years. Very interesting all the changes the river has made at itโ€™s mouth since the Dams were tore out! After leaving there take Hwy. 101 to Olympia via I-5 and take I-5 to MP 67 South on I-5 to White Pass and go over White Pass and your in the North Cascades avoiding Seattle, then Head North to Grand Coullee Dam!

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I checked your profile. White River CG has a length restriction check if you go there.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
My Rainier is great for hiking. Tourist go to Paridise and visitor center. Make reservation for Cougar Rock CG. If you want less crowds go to White River CG and go to Sunrise Visitir center. White River CG is first come first serve. Really great hike to Fremont Lookout. Olympic NP great camping at Kalakla(sp?) right overlook of the ocean. Also toward Port Angles is Hurracane Ridge. Also donโ€™t miss Mt St. Hellenโ€™s.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would adjust travel time to avoid Seattle rush hour instead of the cost of ferry travel.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Avoid Seattle!
Depending on which way you are coming. I would suggest if coming I-90, turn south at Ellensburg. Take WA 821 down the Yakima River canyon byway. There is several BLM campgrounds. Contiue south on I-82 to US 12. Take US-12 west to Mt Ranier.
After visiting MT Ranier, especially sunrise, continue west on US 12 to US 101. US 101 takes a big loop around the Olympic Pennisula. Several good government type campgrounds all around pennisula.
When you get to east side take the Port Townsend Ferry to Whidbey Island. Follow WA 20 east through the North Cascades National Park.
Good time to see Grand Coulee on your return trip.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid Seattle altogether. Unless you have to go there dont. Its become a sespool nearly as bad as San Francisco. There was an article just today in the news about SEA police quitting in droves. On top of that traffic is absolutely horrible. But Mt Ranier, Mt St Helens, Grande Coulee dam are worth visits. Grande Coulee has lasar light shows during the summer. From Grande Coulee you should head SW toward the Oregon coast. But again be aware parks on the coast will be booked solid, so probably not a good place to visit. In fact, camping in the far west is super busy this time of year.