cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather in Yellowstone

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going to Yellowstone the last week of May. I understand that the weather anywhere is a crapshoot. But I was wondering, as a general rule of thumb, what to expect. Would like to hear from some folks who have been there around the Memorial Day time frame, and what kind weather you experienced.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran
28 REPLIES 28

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
WANTTOWANDER Maybe do SoDak first to avoid crowds there. Rafter J Bar CG Hill City SD really nice and convenient to Rushmore and Custer State Park is not to be missed. Give YNP and GT more warm up time.

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone needs to go to Yellowstone at least once. It is truly amazing and something you have never seen before. It's like a totally different world. Most definitely a "must-do in one's lifetime" destination.

Not sure how long your rig is but if you had plans to stay in the park itself, I just looked and the ones that I randomly selected were already full. We made our reservations for Madison back in September and they were almost full then.

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you've never been to either Yellowstone or Glacier, I'd recommend Yellowstone. Also, don't forget that right next door is Grand Teton Nat'l Park - completely different in looks and things to do than Yellowstone. Both are awesome!

Are you locked into that time period? Mid-August/September are wonderful times for those parks.
. We're not locked in to that time period. We're not retired, so it's just whenever we want to take our vacation. We've never been to that part of the country, but it's always been on my bucket list. Had plans to make this trip last July but had to cancel due to a family health issue. Seems like every time we try to plan a trip there something comes up, so I'm really hoping that this is finally the year!
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Navy veteran

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you've never been to either Yellowstone or Glacier, I'd recommend Yellowstone. Also, don't forget that right next door is Grand Teton Nat'l Park - completely different in looks and things to do than Yellowstone. Both are awesome!

Are you locked into that time period? Mid-August/September are wonderful times for those parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone NP mid June, three years ago and the weather was cool at night but nice during the day. We then headed to east Glacier NP on June 24th, but a late snow closed the "going to the sun road" until July 5th that year.

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the responses. I think my wife may be having reservations now about going during that time. Which means we either go somewhere else, or we postpone for a few weeks. My problem is if we postpone until late June/early July when the weather might be more favorable, then I might be tempted to go to Glacier instead. Decisions, decisions! We had finally decided on Yellowstone after considering New England, Smoky Mountain NP, Big Bend NP, and Moab.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Navy veteran

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Snowed on us the middle of July last year. 30 or below every night.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't sweat it, your going to Yellowstone for an adventure, It mite be and epic adventure and something to tell about the rest of your life.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well a quick glance at the snowpack depth in Wyoming shows it as greater than 150 percent of normal in YNP right now. 133 inches in Jackson hole, which is at 6500 ft. The park is around 8000 ft and up. With more to come before May.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
My son worked there the summer of 2011. I drove him there around June 20, in my MINI Cooper. The snowbanks were twice the height of my car.

Cup fan wrote:
Looking at going to Yellowstone the last week of May. I understand that the weather anywhere is a crapshoot. But I was wondering, as a general rule of thumb, what to expect. Would like to hear from some folks who have been there around the Memorial Day time frame, and what kind weather you experienced.
We have reservations for the end of May, a buddy of mine that's works up there said he thought it was the best time to go. Its been a very mild winter as well so hopefully we will be Okay. I'm not worried about it. We are staying at Madison campground in the park itself from the 25 -29th of May. Fishing opens up that weekend too in the Maddison river I was told when I made our reservations. I couldn't find what I wanted online so I called and sure enough they had sites that were not shown to be available on line.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is around 7,500-8,000 ft elevation, it is not like 2,000 ft, it can be cold any time of year, take the coat and shorts.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I'm considering the same thing...Yellowstone in May, then on to Glacier. Can I assume they plow the roads clear if it does snow? I'm basically just driving through and stopping overnight wherever, whenever I have to.
US HWY 287 trip...Port Arthur TX to Browning WY.

yes they plow the roads and then the bison use them and its no fun following a herd for about 3 miles at their selected pace ,slow and slower and stop and admire the snow every once in a while.