cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

west texas state parks

taddyport
Explorer
Explorer
If you had the choice, which park would you stay at for 3 days ?

Abilene State Park
Lake Colorado City State Park
Big Springs State Park

looking at early April and would like opinions ( I know that can get me in trouble )

thanks
God Bless Your Travels
Jon and Zaria; Zaria = springer spaniel
2010 Ford F350, Triton V10 with 4.3 axle
2011 Jayco 256 RKS
Equil izer hitch
12 REPLIES 12

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Abilene would be the best. Lake Colorado City would be fine but the lake is low and no sites on the water from our long drought not fracing. Been to Abilene 1 time and liked it for our 5 day stay. Balmorhea would be my next pick but it is still over 200 miles from Abilene. Big Spring as told by someone else has no camping. No idea what your plans are but the DFW area has lots of state and COE parks to stay at too.

Sharon

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Palo Duro Canyon.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Best Texas SP on I-20 is Monahans Sandhills.

Best Texas SP in west Texas on I-10 is Balmorhea.

Of the three you mentioned, Abklene is best because it is not dependent on the lake to enjoy.

Texas lakes won't recover unless they get several straight years of double or triple rainfall. Water usage due to population and industry growth from Texas lakes has increased greatly in the past decades. That along with draw down from the aquifers for ncreased agriculture means Texas uses more water than nature can replace.

Then add the massive usages of water by the oil and natural gas fracking industry, and we can pretty much forget Texas as a land of lakes for the future.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not on your list. Those might be OK, but since I've not been there, can't offer opinions.

1. Davis Mountains State Park. In a remote area for dark skies, low mountain setting, kind of close to the Big Bend region.

2. Palo Duro Canyon State Park, in the Amarillo area, not too far away from I-40 and the city. Number 2 canyon in the U.S. for length.

3. Copper Breaks SP, on the highway from Dallas through Wichita Falls to Amarillo. Remote location, dark skies, small fishing lake, longhorn herd.

But your choices suggest you might be traveling I-20, my choices are not on that route.

Drought conditions curtailed all water activities at Abilene SP last season. I don't think this past winter's precipitation has improved lake levels that much, we've had way lower than normal snowfall and winter rain this far south on the plains.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Abilene State Park is a beautiful campground in the hills with shade trees right below Lake Abilene. Really a hidden gem.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
3rd vote for Palo Duro State Park. Very nice with great camp grounds.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Palo Duro.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

KBfiredog
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to go west, Davis Mountains State Park.KB
2011 Cameo 37RESLS
2012 Ford F350 PSD DRW

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Palo Duro is the one to go to!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Lake Colorado City state park many times. It is ok, but not really a destination park for us. The lake has been severely low for several years. We stop there for one night only as it is halfway between home and a common destination. The park facilities and people are nice, it's just that the environment is not pretty. Never been to Abilene state park.

Not to far away are Palo Duro State Park or Caprock Canyon state park. Those two parks are in an interesting geological area - lots of hiking- and could occupy someone for three or four days. Of the two, I like Palo Duro better, but both are nice. Maybe three days at each?
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
There's no camping in Big Springs, so that leaves the other two. Have not been to either Abilene or Lake Colorado so can't comment on them. We are planning a trip to Palo Duro Canyon which is just south of Amarillo, which looks real interesting.

Don

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Spring
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman