cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What items have you forgotten when you left for the winter?

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure out what we will need to bring with us on our first Snowbird adventure. I am already making lists, creating stacks of stuff.

And wondering what I am going to forget.

What important things you've forgotten? Did you go back for it, replace it, or do without?
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX
22 REPLIES 22

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody mentioned blank checks.

I didn't bring enough last year. I thought, who is going to want an out of state check? Turns out, a lot of people. But I learned that many more service folks (medical, etc.) will take paypal than I imagined.

And that if I leave things (e.g. checks) in a locked box I should leave the KEY with someone, too ;).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas in this thread.

I definitely forget stuff, though I don't remember what :). I have family and friends dig around in the house looking for stuff to mail to me.

This year, I am training myself to think differently. I three-quarter time. I spend far more months on the road than at 'home'. I need to think of my van life as where I really live, not temporary, and my S&B as my 'summer home'. So I will be bringing things like my whole spice cabinet. (I think I brought about 2 seasonings last year.)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

gonefishin_
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a pet, don't forget to take their medical records also. If you take them in for grooming or to a vet it's quite important. I take a picture of the last vaccinations paperwork so I have it on my phone and don't have to worry about looking for a hard copy if I need it.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
Nothing, but I did leave my dog sitting outside a store at a gas station on my way south, when I went in for snacks. Missed him 30 min later and had to drive another 15 minutes to get to an exit. Got back about 1 1/2 hours later and he was still sitting where I told him to stay. This is an exceptionally intelligent Mexican Street dog, he has a huge vocabulary he can understand. I suppose he had no doubt I would be back when I realized he was missing.

This is how he looked shorty after I rescued him.

WM is great but I'll bet you could never get a gorgeous pup like this there!

Glad someone didn't steal him....

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always forget something but as someone else said, WalMarts are everywhere. We do have a list of things to remember but never did put clothing items on it. The first trip back east I forgot all my blouses and T-shirts. WM to the rescue.

Last trip it was my lightweight jacket. It gets chilly in the Ocala FL area in winter. Again WM to the rescue.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing, but I did leave my dog sitting outside a store at a gas station on my way south, when I went in for snacks. Missed him 30 min later and had to drive another 15 minutes to get to an exit. Got back about 1 1/2 hours later and he was still sitting where I told him to stay. This is an exceptionally intelligent Mexican Street dog, he has a huge vocabulary he can understand. I suppose he had no doubt I would be back when I realized he was missing.

This is how he looked shorty after I rescued him.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What would we do without lists?

I've gotten it down perfectly by now so there's no thinking involved. Just go down the list, check things off, and we're set to go.

I've got lists for every occasion. When we were full-timers we didn't need lists because we always had everything with us. Now it's a little different.

As you're packing this time, start making your list.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
I created an Excel spreadsheet "Camping Checklist" many years ago to use when packing for all regular camping trips. I would add things over the years as our needs changed.

When we started snowbirding two years ago I edited that checklist and created a snowbird packing checklist. We have not forgot anything that I can think of so far. I even do our income taxes while in the sunny south and have managed to bring all I needed for that.
I've edited the checklist many times over the past two years.

I've also created a "Things to do" checklist we use to prepare the house, vehicles, and personal life for the winter trip.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
We often ask ourselves the same question and have learned that as long as we have our passports and credit cards we are good. What we don't have we either can live without or replace!

Safe Travels
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Check credit card and debit card expiry dates as well.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We keep 3 list.
1. Things that need to be done in the house, like turn of water, cancel garbage pickup, etc.
2. Things that are already in the camper. We have acquired a lot of duplicate things like plates, coffee pot, camping chairs, etc. We keep this list so that we don't pack triplicates.
3. Things that need to be added. Like drugs, camera, hobby items, etc.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
S N O W

navegator

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Medically related items. A Dr. order for a monthly blood test I need. An actual hard copy of a prescription for a med. Didn't go back as it can be handled by phone, fax, etc.
Jayco-noslide

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you do not forget your sense of humor you will be fine. I once forgot my boat motor. Really I did. Lists in advance help. I rarely forget anything. Happy Trails
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)