cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What not to miss at Williamsburg VA.....

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Williamsburg for a couple days over Easter what are the must dos? It will only be 3-4 days. I have no clue what to visit.
Thanks
40 REPLIES 40

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
http://www.campgroundviews.com/rv-adventures-in-williamsburg-virginia/

Also we found CHippokes Plantation as a neat out of the way destination.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
In Colonial Williamsburg, visit the Rockefeller home, Bassett Hall. Rick's grill was a great little diner. Very relaxing with good food.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Everything mentioned is right on........ also....... Mariners Museum in Newport News is a nice waterman's museum that also has the turret and other artifacts to the Iron Clad USS Monitor that was raised from the ocean floor a few years ago..... http://www.marinersmuseum.org/uss-monitor-center/

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Great posts, thanks for all the hints and reminders. We are planning to go to Wmsburg for Thanksgiving this year. I used to live there and after I moved we took many day trips to the area. Since moving to SC it has been many years since we strolled the streets.

We are planning to spend a week and will stay at American Heritage. I think we will be thoroughly spoiled by the set up there.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Being just about 4 / 5 hours drive away, and with kids loving amusement parks / roller coasters, we have spent many vacation days in Williamsburg. Busch Gardens is the families favorite amusement park.
We have always camped at the Williamsburg KOA.

Over the years we have done all the historic sites. I would add one that many people don't seemto mention is touring the James River plantations.

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
Disneyfix wrote:
Thanks for the replies I am taking notes!
Please keep your favorite item or two about WB coming. Feel free to throw in a place to eat too.

Any more?

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies I am taking notes!
Please keep your favorite item or two about WB coming. Feel free to throw in a place to eat too.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, I did take the ferry ride once and really enjoyed it. I've visited the historic triangle many times over the years. Even took a bus tour through Norfolk Naval Station. Its the size of a medium sized city. The tour director pointed out that the McDonalds on base is the busiest in the country.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe,
Something you may try is the Scotland โ€“ Jamestown free car ferry run by VDOT. You can see both Jamestown sites from the river. One way takes about twenty minutes. We took it and then went to Chippokes Plantation State Park. The ferries run on a regular schedule.
Disneyfix,
We had Mexican at El Sabor Mexicano. Itโ€™s on route 60/603/6925 Richmond road. Not much to look at from the outside, but the food was good and the price was reasonable. We stayed at American Heritage and took route 60 to the Colonial Parkway. There are quite a few reasonable places on that route.
We saw several families having picnic lunches under the trees in the parking lot at Colonial Williamsburg. You may want to consider that.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
When my kids were little, we spent a week in Williamsburgh. It was not enough time for my then 10 year old daughter. I wouldn't bother with amusement parks - Colonial Williamsburgh is amazing and unique. With all the see and do, you can easily spend 3-4 days to do it right.

We went back for another week when she was 14. She is 22 now, and starting grad school at Georgetown. I promised to rent a car and take her back there sometime when we go to visit.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would second Pierce's and you can get take out to eat back at the CG. Also, there are several restaurants in Historic Yorktown along Water Street that you can get good seafood sandwiches for lunch. While pricey it's worth eating at one of the historic restaurants in Colonial Williamsburg just because.

Larry

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Explorer
Explorer
Disneyfix wrote:
WDW.BWV wrote:
After the history experiences, Williamsburg is a huge outlet shopping destination. If you feel the need to indulge in seafood, there are several options. We prefer Captin George's Seafood Buffett

What are people favorite places to eat? Not super pricey please. Sounds like there are interesting places to eat......

Pierces BBQ is a good place to eat. Not fancy - you order and are called to the counter when it is ready and take it to your table.

Capt. George's Seafood - huge seafood buffet - under $30 per. but it is an experience.

Any of the colonial taverns in Colonial Williamsburg - but these are very expensive. Check the CW website for menus and current prices - this will set you back a lot - and the food lately is fair and not so much colonial.

Chickahominy House - only open for breakfast and lunch - there are a lot of restaurants in this area that are only open for breakfast and lunch. The building is historic - the food is said to be very good.

If you like KFC - have you ever been to a KFC Buffet? There is one in Williamsburg - cheap and if you like KFC worth it - especailly for a family.

Food for Thought Restaurant - many like it - we have not been there yet but the prices are reasonable.

The Cheese Shop in Merchants Square - area part of Colonial Williamsburg - good for lunch - tasty sandwiches - carry out - a couple of tables inside and there are tables outside. About $7 a sandwich.

It is worth buying the Colonial Williamsburg refillable soda mug - this is good for a year and they will refill soda any time you ask, plus there are a few spots around the historic area that will fill this with softserve ice cream - all included in the price of the cup. If you are there during a hot week this cup pays for itself quickly.

Place to avoid - Golden Corral in Williamsburg - too crowded and not good. If you like Golden Corral the trip to the one in Newport News is worth the drive as it is far better.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
The original Jamestown Island is owned by two governmental agencies. About 22.5 acres are owned by Preservation Virginia (formerly the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities).

The balance of the island is owned by National Park Service.

What's great about the 22.5 acres owned by Preservation Virginia is the original fort is located here. It had been assumed for a very long time that the James River had eroded away the site of the original fort.

Fortunately, the excavation that has been going on since 1994 disclosed all but one corner of the 3 sided fort is still intact on land. There is a building there that displays some of the over 1 million artifacts discovered so far. Most of the artifacts date from the 1st half of the 17th century.

There is still a lot of the APVA site that still needs to be excavated.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, that's good news about the two Jamestowns. I like them both and always go to both. This will save me some bucks.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.