cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where in Arizona

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about a 2016 spring or early summer trip to Arizona. Would love to hear from those familar with the area. What attractions are a must see (espeically nature and history), and what full hookup campgrounds are reccomended. Seeing wildlife is always a plus. Any ideas would be appreciated. We would like to find a central location to set-up and then explore up to 150 miles around.
19 REPLIES 19

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations? Depends on where you are going and what time of year. For Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon you need to make them well, well in advance for most of the year.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Cloud_9
Explorer
Explorer
Following this with interest, just wondering how soon reservations would need to be made? Especially the trailer park at the Grand Canyon.

Carl

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
pappaone wrote:
Alabama Jim, I would take TucsonJim up on his offer, the adult beverage might be less than Lauren's Starbucks coffee

I was just thinking the same thing. ๐Ÿ™‚
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great responses. It looks like we will need to make tour of the north and then the west Arizona areas. The other way may be to tour one and then save the other for another trip. Just beginning to formulate thoughts on the trip. In the spring I may repost this to see if any additional ideas come up. All that I read tells me that visiting Arizona is a great option for a trip. We have visited SD, ID, UT, NM WY, MT, and CO. and love all the nature. Still looking to add more sites and see as much of the great United States before the Master calls us home.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my list.We stayed at Dead Horse Ranch State Park near Cottonwood. We visited Tuzigoot,Indian ruins from around 1200 AD. We went to Jerome and visited the Gold King Mine and Douglas Mansion and mining museum. Then we went to Ft Verde where they have restored some of the building from the former 1880 calvary fort.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we took a trip to Arizona, to look at some property/sightseeing.

I like Tucson. In addition to the above-mentioned places, consider Mt. Lemmon or Kitt Peak. The view is nice and it's a great drive. If you are into astronomy like me, the observatory might be a nice night-time activity.

Tucson has the desert museum too and if you are into airplanes the Pima air and space museum was interesting.

Click
http://www.pimaair.org/

We also drove south all the way to Bisbee, my wife liked the quirkiness of the place and the Queen mine tour was fun as well. We drove to the property that was in Elfrida. On the way back, we stopped in Benson to look at the RV parks. Not too bad there either. Didn't make it up to Sedona, but I hear it is fun.

Tombstone didn't trip our trigger (ha! a fun gun pun!) but we had visited there before. Still interesting history there and the drive is pretty scenic. Of course I like looking at the mountains.

For that matter, there is quite a bit to do in the Tucson area:
I used this

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Nah, I just get a tall, regular coffee - $2 range. But I might reconsider if you want to buy! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am always up for a cup of java and meeting for conversation.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
We went there this summer and were awed by the Red Rocks in Sedona. We did not stop and explore Flagstaff, but we wished we had planned time there as we passed through and felt the cool breeze due to its elevation.

In Sedona, we stayed at Rancho Sedona, which is a really beautiful RV park with wonderful shade and a creek.

We stayed at theTrailer Village at the Grand Canyon and thought it was great, though the weather was extremely hot and we didn't get to explore much of the canyon area.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim, I would take TucsonJim up on his offer, the adult beverage might be less than Lauren's Starbucks coffee
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We love Williams, AZ. A small route 66 town off I-40. Bearizona drive thru animal park is excellent. Deer Farm petting zoo is also nearby. The town looks much like it did back in the day. A zip line runs thru downtown thats fun. Grand Canyon is 60 miles to the north.

We stay at Grand Canyon Railway RV park. Very nice full service RV park. It has a small store for supplies, a pet kennel if you make day trips and wish to leave your pet for the day, and a free gun fight show each morning at the train station next door. RV guests can use the hotels indoor pool which is located adjacent to the RV park with a free shuttle running between them.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, I'll show you around Tucson for a Starbucks coffee! ๐Ÿ™‚

Even the Grand Canyon hot in May? We better define "hot" as the average high for the South Rim (lower of the two) is 69 degrees for May 15th and 91 for Tucson for an average on the same date.

As stated, there is so much in AZ to see it would depend truly on your interests. I would agree that setting up and trying to see 150 miles in a diameter would be tough.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Come to Tucson, and I'll show you around for the cost of an adult beverage.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
The last part of April and first part of May is usually when the desert is in bloom.
Dick OK

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to spend some time in Sedona, AZ. The red rocks are beautiful.
Sedona, AZ
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog