cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to go in September, maybe October

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently slated to go to Wyoming in July but due to an unexpected expense regarding the new house build, we need to postpone a trip until September/October. We are still thinking of going to Yellowstone but are very open to other suggestions. Hurricane-prone areas are out of the question. We like to do almost anything but wildlife photography and outside activities are favorites. We'll have to fly since we are no longer RVing. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
24 REPLIES 24

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We did the CO Rockies in Sept heading south into Utah for Oct a few years back. Worked out well other then a few real hot days around Bluff. The only downside was the forest service campgrounds are were all closed by then.

The only snow we saw was heading E on 70 through the mts, but the road was clear.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The coast of Northern California, Oregon and Washington. No crowds, great weather.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For something totally different,
The Ozarks, From Hot Springs in Ark, to Branson Mo.
Motels should be wide open, some of the state parks should have cabins available as well as private rentals, Kids gone, and by late October, color everywhere.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I distinctly remember a tent camping trip in Yellowstone in early to mid October I was on as a kid. The days were beautiful, in the 50's and sunny and there was some color in the leaves. The first night it got down to six degrees above zero. The remaining nights we opted to stay in a motel rather than camp in the tent.

I was going to suggest New England, but presumably you already know all about that.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Avoiding the Rockies after Labor Day is goofy. Some of the best weather and scenery is then. September in Yellowstone is perfect. Further north in early September is OK too. Glacier Nat Park might be kind of iffy tho.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Advise I've received from a friend who has done it - don't be in the Rockies after Labor Day. We're also planning a westward trip starting in August and plane to be through the rockies by Labor Day.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The first two weeks of September is perfect for Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Even the park's campgrounds are still open. Everything doesn't close at that time. Slowly work your way south into Utah and Arizona for October and your drive back.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with October, but we have been to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier in September with no issues with snow. September is popular for those folks who don't have school age kids, so most facilities should be open. Easy to check ahead.

Jackson Hole Airport is a lot closer to Yellowstone than Boise.

The bull Elk will have full racks in September and will be bugling to attract their harems. The bull Moose will also have full racks. We often see Moose along the Gros Ventre River just south of the Gros Ventre Campground in Grand Teton.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe.. September is absolutely the best time to do an Oregon/Washington Coast trip. Best weather of the entire year and school is back in session..wide open at the State Parks
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most everything in the Rockies will be shutting down shortly after Labor day, and weather will be getting cooler. By October you could see snow for sure, and definitely cold. Yellowstone should have some stuff still open, of course the gysers dont pay attention to the seasons. If your flying/driving, fly into Boise, rent your car. Then you could hit Yellowstone, north to MT Rushmore, loop back to Glacier, and back to Boise