cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to meet family between Colorado and North Carolina?

rcload9
Explorer
Explorer
I am based in Colorado and would like to meet up with some family members who live in Fayetville, NC next summer. I have primarily camped west of CO so everything east would be new for me camping. We would prefer that we meet somewhere in the middle but that might not put us in the best places to visit. I don't mind driving further to meet with them but would like to get some ideas on where to go and stay.

I have a new 41' Class A Diesel and will be towing a vehicle. I will also have two young teenagers with me. We plan to have about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for the entire trip and would probably be mid to late June when we leave. My initial thoughts were smokey mountains but that means more driving for me but I am ok with that. I was also thinking heading up to the Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan areas. I also enjoy the higher end RV parks with trees and greenery. I am open to meeting them in one area and then trying out several other areas with them if they are within the timeframe I have.

I am open to all ideas, thank you.

David
19 REPLIES 19

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to meet in middle than another vote for Branson MO, with day trips to Hot Springs, Crystal Bridges, and Eureka Springs.

A bit more of a drive for you, but New Orleans LA jumped out at me. Never been there so I know not of what I speak.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
If your kids like to do the nature thing, southern ILL ( shawnee national forest ) has some very nice quiet campgrounds and some cool hikes, some forts, conoeing in the swamps, indian stuff, but if they need the Gatlinburg type intertainment then it wouldn't work.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for northern Arkansas. Hot Springs, Crystal Bridges, Eureka Springs have been mentioned (coming from CO you'll like the setting of Eureka Springs). There's also Pea Ridge NMP, Blanchard Springs Caverns (one of the most pristine caves around), canoeing on the Buffalo River.

Not a "higher end" RV park, but check out Lake Ouachita SP. FHU and the kids can swim in the lake. There are also cabins there if any of your group doesn't want to camp.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
You say you like parks with trees and greenery. On the way home from Yellowstone in May, we stooped at Buck Creek Lake State park in Ohio. Large sites,lots of grass and trees, electric hookups, a large lake with swimming,nice camp store. Our site had a path next to us which led to the lake and we were right across from the bath houses. There was a seperate beach for campers. It's about 10 miles off I-70.You are not far from the Air Force museum in Dayton.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Townsend, TN and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. You'll have the much longer drive, but it is a great destination if you like the outdoors and hiking.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rcload9 wrote:
I am based in Colorado and would like to meet up with some family members who live in Fayetville, NC next summer. I have primarily camped west of CO so everything east would be new for me camping. We would prefer that we meet somewhere in the middle but that might not put us in the best places to visit. I don't mind driving further to meet with them but would like to get some ideas on where to go and stay.

I have a new 41' Class A Diesel and will be towing a vehicle. I will also have two young teenagers with me. We plan to have about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for the entire trip and would probably be mid to late June when we leave. My initial thoughts were smokey mountains but that means more driving for me but I am ok with that. I was also thinking heading up to the Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan areas. I also enjoy the higher end RV parks with trees and greenery. I am open to meeting them in one area and then trying out several other areas with them if they are within the timeframe I have.

I am open to all ideas, thank you.

David

David,

You have the new Coach which more than likely needs to be RUN so if I were you I'd head on out to the Beach in Carolina, then next year they can come to the Mountains to Visit you. With the teenagers, water is always fun - but they also need to have friends and things to do, IMHO nothing beats the water and when you are from the Mountains of Colorado the Ocean is just what you need.

Just so much to do on the east coast and the Blue Ridge and Smokies will be a great drive through.

My son and Family are in Colorado and they manage to come back for a month every year with two weeks at the Beach, and a couple weeks on the Bay - just hard to beat the Water.

We go to the Mountains and say it's just hard to beat those Rocks.

Best of Luck in the decision - if you get closer to a decision get back and we can all help with the particulars of your choice.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like water parks, I would consider the Wisconsin Dells. Definitely great for teens. Mackinac Island in Michigan is also very nice.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
Hillman Ferry Campground on the north end of land between the lakes.30 miles from Paducah ky.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
Take a look a the Traverse City area in Michigan. Particularly around the Lake Leelanau area. Some nice RV parks there. Might just be getting warm enough for swimming.

Since you're talking of summer I would highly recommend this area. It's absolutely gorgeous. The weather is great!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 for Branson. Lots of stage shows by a good variety of entertainers. Table Rock Lake has nice state campgrounds, but there are many in the area.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I would also check around Heber Springs Arkansas
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

DandD2015
Explorer
Explorer
In Northwestern Arkansas, Eureka Springs is a very neat tourist town. Also, Crystal Bridges is an art museum in Bentonville (home of Wal Mart) that's supposed to be very nice. Fayetteville is a nearby college town. The Northwest corner of Arkansas may be a good choice but I can't speak to where you park the RV there. Here's Roadside America's map. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/ar

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
If neither of you have been to Branson, then that's your destination. Lot's to see and do.
Land Between the Lakes area would be a good place to just layback and visit.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Hot Springs Arkansas is 13 hours from each location and there is lots to see and do in the area. We like Catherine's Landing RV Park, or for more rustic campground Lake Catherine State Park is nearby. Look on Trip Advisor for things to see and do in the area. You can even drive to Crater of Diamonds State Park and dig for diamonds! 2nd choice would be Branson MO. We'll be staying at Branson Shenanigans RV Park in a couple of weeks. There is a Corps of Engineers campground at Indian Point. Electric only. Be careful choosing sites as some slope (in the description). There are other parks in the area. You can read reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com 3rd choice would be Sevierville TN (long drive for you) but lots to do in the area. We like River Plantation RV Resort. You can drive from there to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg thru the Great Smoky Mt. Nat Pk.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi