cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wildrose - Free Camping in Death Valley National Park

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Located at 4000 ft on the west side of the Panamint mountains of Death Valley National Park, Wildrose campground offers up to 30 days free camping with pit toilet, trash, WATER, fire pits, and picnic tables.

Looking SW down Wildrose Canyon.

Make no mistake, this is primarily a tent campground as the road has a 25' length restriction. The campground lists generator hours as 7am to 7pm. We stayed 3 nights during peak camping season and were the only RV. There were never more than 4 other tents set up either. The road can be steep, narrow, and winding in spots. The campground is 21 miles from California highway 190 west of Stovepipe Wells down the paved Emigrant Canyon Road.

6 miles beyond the campground up a partially paved road is the best representation of charcoal kilns I've ever seen...

Beyond the charcoal kilns are hiking trails, once of which scales the tallest point in the park, 11 thousand 49 foot Telescope Peak.

According to the National Park Service official map of Death Valley National Park, the Wildrose Canyon Road is closed due to wash out. We drove down the road with no problems in our Jeep but... The road edges have been washed away in spots but many have orange cones placed by them. The road has been run over in a couple spots by gravel and rocks, so a high clearance vehicle is needed, but not a difficult trip, the road is used often obviously by the track, and it will take you to Ballarat ghost town...

If you go this way, you likely will pass near Panamint Springs. You can get a very pricey burger with chips, no fries, and there is an RV park for those that are looking for that sort of thing. I've never seen a bar like the one here. The top is Redwood, and the base is Sequoia root according to the bartender...

While on our trip we saw some wildlife, and the burros woke us up one night passing through the campground. They certainly weren't interested in being quiet! The lizard was at least 2' long...

We drove the 9 miles out to the Skidoo townsite. There isn't much left other than this sign, the prospects, and roads...

If you don't hike to the top of Telescope Peak, the very best view available in our opinion in Death Valley National Park is from...

This overlook is 1000 feet higher than Dante's View on the east side of Death Valley. Though pictures don't do it justice, the view spans from the Sierra Crest to the west, to the Spring Mountains in the east...

The wild flowers were spectacular on our trip, and the 4x4 exploring was great too. If you don't have a Jeep, you can rent one.

We recommend you head to Wildrose!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

12 REPLIES 12

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all know what a little 4X4 can do.

What I'd like to see is a discussion on where one can carefully explore and camp in DV in a stock 2WD small Class C. :C

We have done it by going part way up a 4X4 road in DV in our 24 foot Class C. It was a wonderful, serene camping experience. We got a couple of looks from some 4X4 vehicles coming out that road in the morning past our campsite!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Death Valley - my favorite NP ... have 4x4'd all over that park since I can remember. Always fascinating, always a new area to explore.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Off pavement,
You have given the final clue as to why the Trona-Wildrose road was signed closed when we were there in March.

With a narrower than usual, eroded roadway and wash-ins I can see how the N.P. Service would want to limit their liability.
We have camped there since the 70's, preferring the slightly higher elevation when getting close to or away from summertime. We are usually the only RV in sight but several tents. UP until this March you could get there in a regular passenger car with care. I'm not sure now what is happening, but in the day we could camp at the end of road on the way up to Telescope @ about the 9K foot elevation. Not much flat ground, but in the pinion/Juniper forest with a cooling breeze. Many mountain climbers have perished on the winter approach to Telescope with it's immense sloping ice field the last couple miles with a tremendous run out to the West . We've bagged the peak in September or October after the ice/snow has melted and before the next winter snows.
Thanks for the report. You have provided us with some closure now.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent Brian...really cool spot. Next time down, I'll make a bee-line for the bee-hive kilns.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for sharing the photos and the info. I haven't been there in a long time. Maybe it is time to go back.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shhhh.!!! MOST people think Death Valley is all hot, and deserted desert with nothing but bad water, lizards and snakes......Nice write up...we've spent many nights in DV and enjoyed every one of them. Unfortunately our current rig wouldn't fare well where you've traveled.....:).

BTW, those kilns were last used in 1879 when more efficient means of running the smelter were found. They're said to be the best example of beehive kilns in the world..they should be on a must see list for anyone heading to Death Valley.......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
GPS coordinates?

W117 11.402'
N36 15.949'

Approximately!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GPS coordinates?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for putting this Trip Report together. It is always nice to see Death Valley. There are hundreds of places to boondock within Death Valley National Park, so as to avoid campgrounds too.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We were in that area a month or more ago!!!!! Try Titus Canyon for a hair raising drive~!!! IF we go again, we'll rent a jeep....NOT taking our 1 ton pickup over that road again! LOL LOL Death Valley offers such interesting sights!!!!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We didn't know about the camping enroute to the kilns, but three of us couples - traveling together all in our separate 24 foot Class C rigs (no tows) -were in that area towards the kilns several years ago. All six of us climbed into one of the motorhomes and went all the way to the kilns. What a ride that was!

That's a beautiful area for remote desert lovers. I sure like the minimum restrictions in that campground - a small motorhome drycamper's delight.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C