cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Williams AZ and then Zion

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
My lovely kids just gifted us a trip for October of this year. We will make reservations as soon as we can. We are in the Phoenix area so we will drive to williams, just a couple hours away and stay there overnight, take the railway in the morning to the Canyon and return back to Williams the same day so 2 days in Williams. We are looking for a modest place for out 25' TT. Since we won't be there long I dont care about fancy stuff. Any suggestions?

We will drive from there to Zion about 4 hours and hope to stay at Watchman if I can get in. (6 months in advance should put us about April for res). Any helpful ideas or fun tips are appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Angel’s Landing is a fantastic hike if you can deal with heights. Some rock scrambling with cables to hold onto. The point gives you a wonderful view of the canyon.

You can drive thru the tunnel and there is a parking spot just past the tunnel. Nice hike, pretty easy to another fantastic viewpoint.

Glad you got a site in Watchman. Enjoy!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Yippee, I am so thrilled I booked a great riverside site at Zion. I can't wait

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to ask if anyone has interesting routes back to Phoenix from Zion. I am coming in from the Grand Canyon so I would love some different views.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting so excited to make my reservations for Zion. Other than the Narrows are there any things I should absolutely do there...tours, horses, modest hiking? We will be there four days.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
rangerjean wrote:
any favorite campsites at Watchman?

We were in the A loop which was all paved and closest to the Visitor Center and shuttles. Very nice!
Jim & Nicky
Motorcycles!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
rangerjean wrote:
We were in B loop, right next to the river, actually had some shade. I think it was B50
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Zion has some of the best hiking of any National Park. I recommend you look at hiking “The Narrows” which is the River stream bed through some magnificent canyon walls. You rent some gear in town right outside Watchman campground for this hike. Another absolutely beautiful hike is Angel’s Landing out of the canyon.

We really enjoyed Watchman campground. Best of luck with your reservations!
Jim & Nicky
Motorcycles!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes....the Campground right at the station is Great. Full use of the Motel/Hotel Pool and Spa(both indoor). Plenty of stores and eateries in the area and as indicated, its a Passport America Park!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is an RV park right there where the train leaves from. Its a Passport America park too so if you belong you can get the lower rate. The buffet restaurant is there at the train depot too and is quite good. Have a nice breakfast before you leave on the train. Its a great park and Williams is a nice town. Grand Canyon Railway RV Park.