cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wisconsin Suggestions

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about heading to Elkhart Lake next year towards the end of June for the potential Indycar race and then would like to spend the next week on vacation. My wife and I are in our 50's and would like some suggestions for nice places to vacation in Wisconsin. Are the Dells somewhere we should consider? Any nice destinations along the coast?

Thank you.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43
15 REPLIES 15

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Door County is a great place to visit. We like staying in Baileys Harbor at Baileys Grove campground. Small quiet and centrally located campground in Door County.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
C.B. wrote:

Here's the exception to your above statement.

C.B.

There are a number of exceptions in Door County. We took our daughter there from 1 year old on. But keep in mind that the OP is a couple in their 50s. Most likely they would prefer to go somewhere more adult oriented, which the Door is.

Good point. There is no mention of grandkids. We are a couple in our early 70's with 14 grand kids!! My chances of going somewhere more adult oriented are pretty much are ZERO to NONE:B:(
Camping W/grandkids======PRICELESS:B:B:C
C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a water truck in the camping areas at Elkhart Lake.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

KevinGeiwitz
Explorer
Explorer
Kohler-Andrae State Park nice park not to far away from the track and its on the shore of Lake Michigan.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I camped at the track during the Vintage Motorcycle races this year and had a great time (after camping at the Indy 500). What I saw was all dry camping at the Carousel corner. The weather was fine and I was in no need of electric. I don't know how many folks are traveling but water and wastewater should get you by for 3 days?

There are lots of great places to camp away from the track in the Kettle-Moraine and Lake Michigan areas. I was a tightwad and didn't want to pay the out of state fees. I was riding my motorcycle and met friends in the area. I stayed here

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/wisconsin/west-bend/timber-trail-campground

it was OK for my needs

I didn't think the race has been added to the Indycar schedule yet but I will say it's an awesome track and for sure, I would camp at the track.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
Wow-thanks for the suggestions!

Yes we would like to snag a 50amp electric site at Elkhart Lake. They say no water is available at the track. Is there a water truck that comes by to fill campers?
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dells are nice. If you can get over the tourist trap part of it. We stay at Standrock campground. Located outside the dells. I like the Original Wisconsin Ducks tour and the Upper dells boat tours are also nice. If you are into mini golf and water parks then this is the place for you! If you don't like people then don't stay here! LOL

Door county is very nice. Lots of great places already mentioned there.

If you want something really interesting go on up to the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior, another really beautiful area.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:

C.B.

There are a number of exceptions in Door County. We took our daughter there from 1 year old on. But keep in mind that the OP is a couple in their 50s. Most likely they would prefer to go somewhere more adult oriented, which the Door is.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Do a Google search for `Wisconsin tourism' and read on. We go to Door County almost every year. Good for adults but not much for kids.

"Good for adults but not much for kids"

"This place is great for kids"

www.harbourvillageresort.net

Check out the photo gallery.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother with the Dells itself. Waste of time and money, especially if you don't have kids. I totally agree with checking Devils Lake State Park. The best hiking in WI by far. At 10best.com it's listed as #5 nationwide for state parks. And yes, if you are in the area go to Spring Green and see the House on the Rock. Incredible!

Biking, if you bike, WI is listed somewhere as as the 6th best state to bike in. We have tons of state and county trails. Many that are old railroad grades. Best place to look for trails is traillink.com

We vacation in Door County 2 - 3 times a year. It's definitely a more adult place to vacation. Peninsula State Park is excellent. A nice alternative that's more central to everything in the Door is Egg Harbor Campground. It's about 20 minutes to all the best in Door County. I would not bother going to Washington Island unless you like to bike. It's a great place to bike because of very little road traffic, but there is not much else there to see.

There are several wineries in Door County, brew pubs, 5 state parks, lots of county parks (Cave Point is a must see!), several lighthouses (2 open for tours), lots of restaurants, several show houses with live plays, lots of art galleries, quant towns, etc. Door County is sometimes referred to as "Little Cap Cod".

coolmom42 wrote:

the restaurants ... mostly have fish.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. I think you saw too many fish boil ads. ๐Ÿ™‚ There are fish boils at a few places, but on the whole you can find any type of food you are looking for. Yes, some is pricey, but there are a lot of reasonably priced places too. http://doorcountydining.com/
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `Wisconsin tourism' and read on. We go to Door County almost every year. Good for adults but not much for kids.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Dells themselves are BEAUTIFUL!
Take the Upper Dells boat tour and do some hiking.
Unfortunately, a huge tourist trap has built up around a beautiful natural resource and many families have gone there for years only to go to the water parks, ride go-carts, etc. and have never actually seen the actual Dells.

Nearby is Devil's Lake State Park which has a very nice campground and the park itself (Wisconsin's largest state park) is beautiful, with lots of trails and places to visit.

As cheteckie has said, don't miss having dinner at Ishnala Resort in nearby Mirror Lake State Park. You WILL NOT believe the setting and atmosphere. Incredible. The food is excellent too.

Other places within driving distance from the Dells are Wineries, Circus World in nearby Bariboo, WI, Steam train rides, and the House on the Rock, which is a tourist type attraction, but is like nothing you've ever experienced. One entire day to experience that one!

Oh, and Door County is nice too.

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Door County is nice! Another idea would be to follow the shore of Lake Michigan, and then head west over to Bayfield and the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. As for The Dells, Devils Lake State Park, which is maybe 15 miles away, is beautiful, the lake is spring-fed and surrounded by bluffs that are great for hiking or rock climbing. There is a nice restaurant, The Ishnala, in Mirror Lake State Park, also very near the Dells. The Dells boat trips are very scenic. The Dells is a tourist Mecca for families, with lots of water parks. If you like to bike, there is the Sparta Elroy bike trail that connects the two towns. It is not close to the Dells, though. If fishing is your thing, Minacqua, or Eagle River are popular.

At Elkhart Lake, are you planning to camp at the track? We have done that several times over the years. It is a great experience!
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Fletch Rider wrote:
The Dells area is ok, but its a huge tourist trap. I recommend Peninsula State Park in Door County with a day trip to Washigton Island. It books up fast so you'd have to book now for next June.

This. There are other state parks in the area, too. Potawotami is nice and in Door County but not as developed as Peninsula, it might not book up as fast.

I really enjoyed Door County in August. A little touristy but not too bad, lovely area, super-nice state parks. If you are on a budget take plenty of your own food, the restaurants are a little on the pricey side and mostly have fish. There is an Applebees and a decent Chinese in Sturgeon Bay if you get sick of fish.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board