cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wyoming trip

cthatcher
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Wyoming. Plan to take about 1 month to see everything we can. Have kind of picked Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV camp. They told me this rv camp could be used as a base camp to see cody and on to see Yellowstone park. He said a 5 to 7 days would allow us plenty of time to see the sights. Then we were planning on going to Jackson. He said we could hit Old Faithful area on the way to Jackson. I am having difficulties finding a campground that offers all we want in Jackson. Have 34 foot camper, want wifi, pets, full hook up.
Any suggestions from anyone for campground or suggestions for our itinary.

connie
19 REPLIES 19

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone Valley Inn is between Cody and Yellowstone. Very convenient. Not a fancy park but they do have level pull thrus. If you want 50 amp be sure to ask for it. They do not have cable TV. I would suggest reservations. They fill up pretty fast. we saw everything we wanted to see in 3 days, however we are not hikers. 5-7 days for Yellowstone and Cody should be fine.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Colter Bay Village RV Park in Grand Tetons National Park and not far from Jackson. Full hookups in a very nice setting. Have a great trip.

I agree. You won't feel like you're in an RV park. Make your reservation now though because they are popular. Nice thing about Colter Bay is that there is a village within walking distance and a museum at the visitor center. There's a gift shop, a mini-mart, Laundromat, two restaurants, and ticket office for horse back rides or the boat across the lake.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at the fish farm on the way between Coulter and Jackson. BTW you can do Jackson (the town, not the area) in about an hour including lunch.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Neecies
Explorer
Explorer
Connie, we just did Jackson and Yellowstone this past July. Two things pop into mind when reading your question.

One, in Jackson, the only good park is The Virginian. The bathrooms can use some updating (considering the nightly price), but they're more than serviceable and it's otherwise an extremely well-run park on the edge of prime downtown where it's an easy walk to restaurants or the free shuttle buses.

Two, we allowed three days for Yellowstone but that really wasn't enough (we spent every day driving, looking, enjoying) and we added a few more once there. You just can't see it all in a day or even three. And we were staying in the Park the whole time, part dry-camping and part with full hookups at Fishing Bridge. We just mapquested it, and the distance from your Valley place to Fishing Bridge (near the East entrance you'll be coming in from) is 58 miles, meaning you have an hours drive each way just getting started. I can understand why the guy who manages the Valley place would sell it as a good base camp, but for me personally that's way too much covering the same ground over and over.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay Village RV Park in Grand Tetons National Park and not far from Jackson. Full hookups in a very nice setting. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"