cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone in October

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on taking our travel trailer (Indian River 22MKSE) to Yellowstone/Grand tetons and arriving in early October. There is very little that is reservable in the park for our dates, and we'd have to piece it together and move from site to site over the 3 nights we plan to spend there, as most of it is closed. I know there are also a ton of first come, first serve sites available, though even this, only some is available in October. Would this be doable in October? Or would it still be crowded enough that it would be difficult to find a spot? We don't need any hookups, as long as they allow generator use to charge up the batteries during the day.

I found a lot of reservable spots at RV parks, which we'll book if need be. However, we prefer the more rustic 'in-nature' feel of state/national park campgrounds as opposed to RV park manicured grass and gravel.
39 REPLIES 39

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
GravelRider wrote:
I had not considered that there would be no dump stations open. I'm thinking one of the RV parks outside of YS will be our best bet. I'd be REALLY bummed if they shut the park down completely before we got there. If that happened, we'd figure out something.

I'm working, my wife works, and I'm in the Army National Guard and have drill weekends to contend with. There is zero chance of us going now. It's early October or not at all.

There is a dump station in Livingston at a convenience store where you can also get water. I have used it several times in the past. The dump was $10.00 and they charged a min fee for water. Slough Creek usually stays open, so check on that I have stayed there many times in Oct. usually in the first two weeks of the month.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Good point on the Asian tours. I was there two years ago in mid September and the crowds were lower but seemed to be more Asian tour groups. Things were already on the verge of shutting down in some areas. I stayed outside the park at a FS CG and it was only open one more week.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
slippery rock, this AM. at 11:15 traffic was backed up into the second street of West Yellowstone. I have seen it extend a little further a couple of times but it was also near the 4th. If people would get up, grab a slug of coffee, or get out of the 3 Bear Pancake house before 9 AM. they wouldn't have this problem. Also another thing to remember there are no Asian tours this summer. Seems really different not to see the cruise busses. Also the Chinese restaurant in West that catered to the bus trade is boarded up. Another, was not open yesterday at lunch time.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
GravelRider wrote:
I had not considered that there would be no dump stations open. I'm thinking one of the RV parks outside of YS will be our best bet. I'd be REALLY bummed if they shut the park down completely before we got there. If that happened, we'd figure out something.

I'm working, my wife works, and I'm in the Army National Guard and have drill weekends to contend with. There is zero chance of us going now. It's early October or not at all.
Better check to see if you can find a park outside of Yellowstone that will still be open. Many close early to mid October. And don't forget that COVID thing. Closures may come early.

I found a couple that were still taking reservations during the time frame that I would be going. Neither looked particularly interesting to me... But if they're the only places, they all of a sudden are looking very interesting! lol

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
GravelRider wrote:

Better check to see if you can find a park outside of Yellowstone that will still be open. Many close early to mid October. And don't forget that COVID thing. Closures may come early.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Is YS having crowds right now? The few pics and video I see show it is empty compared to most years.

Why not go now?
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
RMNP - the lower elevations will generally be open but trail ridge (the road that goes across the park) will, almost certainly, be closed by mid-October. I'd be surprised if the park campgrounds were open then - they're only 50% open now.

We don't camp there - it's only a 45 minute drive from the house.

There might be campgrounds open in Estes Park though. Not as pretty (obviously) but only 15 minutes to the National Park. Early through mid October you'll still get the elk rutting and bugling - which is pretty spectacular.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
You have taken all the actual issues that come with "Closed" into account I hope. The only campground open will be Mammoth. There will be no water, no showers, no dump station. The commercial RV parks in Gardiner will also be closed, so no water, no dump. Maybe you could get those services in Livingston, which is 55 miles away, but maybe not. Dunraven Pass will be closed, so will the Beartooth highway. Snow will likely close other roads intermittently. If there is significant snow, the park service does not respond to clear the roads like Denver does to clear the interstates. They will be on a skeleton crew and the road may stay snow-packed for many hours. Lots of risk to take on a long expensive journey away from home. And this year COVID may restrict you even further. Wouldn't be out of the question for the park to completely close September 30 or even if case rise. And when I say completely close, I mean shut down the gates and you cannot get in. Something more to consider.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about heading south into Colorado and visiting the Rocky Mountain National Park on the way home from the Grand Tetons. This is obviously even higher elevation. Hopefully campgrounds will be open there and weather will cooperate!

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone. We're excited to go when the crowds have diminished. However, it's looking like the downside is that there aren't as many camping opportunities, especially this year with construction on one campground and most of the others closed for the season, presumably due to Covid. According to the Yellowstone website, only four campgrounds are open right now, and in October, it will be down to only one. We're not concerned with shops and facilities being closed, as we're trying to social distance anyhow.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've often gone late September to early October and yes, a lot closes, but we found that as long as it doesn't snow, some FS campgrounds stay open - weather permitting. We've stayed at Gros Ventre in the Tetons early October. Also stayed at Falls CG on Togwotee Pass before going to Gros Ventre and Baker's Hole and Grizzly RV. Also have seen Madison CG in Yellowstone open at this time of year and Mammoth is open year around, on the north end of the park.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
September and October are great times to visit the area.....though snows and cool temperatures could provide some issues. If you โ€œdo notโ€ have to have full hook-ups ( boondocking)..... there are numerous National Forest campgrounds outside of the East Gate of Yellowstone that remain open late into the fall. Though, you may have to share the campgrounds with a few hunters. Weโ€™re not hunting that area this year......so we wonโ€™t be neighbors! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
We frequently visit the area in mid-October (it's my birthday 'outing') and yes - the shops are largely shut and all the tourist trap facilities are closed. But the scenery and wildlife are still there and you can actually see them without thousands of other people desperately trying to "do" the whole park in a day.

If you can deal with a couple of road closures for maintenance and you don't need "Disney with animals" it's the best time to go. IMO.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed C wrote:
Do you have an idea why they close? SNOW!!!!!!

There are several factors, snow, cold and the lack of volunteers. All of the water systems need to be drained and winterized. West Yellowstone sits at about 7K feet. Shops and restaurants close until the Park reopens for the snowmobiles.