cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone in September you asked this summer?

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
We reported,this summer,to those who wanted to visit Yellowstone this September, that the weather would be unpredictable. I live 90 miles away, weather report today, rain, a cold front, and snow on the peaks.
Jackson Hole will be in the low 20's at night this week, most likely the park may be even colder at night.

It is interesting how the temps can change 40 or 50 degree between day and night in the mountains, but that's the way it will be in the park in September. Also the Elk are rutting in the park this month and attacking cars, people, and RV's. There have been several clips on the nightly local news showing attacks on cars. They can put an expensive dent in that expensive car.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID
11 REPLIES 11

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950, Sounds like you were attending Ricks, now BYU-Idaho, retired in 2005 after 35 years there.

No, I was working for Uncle Sam, but lived right down the street from Ricks. I left just a few months before the big dam broke.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowing at elevation in Yellowstone last night. Probably 4 to 6 inches on the caldera floor tonight. Check Weather.Com.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Meanwhile, at home, in a Los Angeles Valley 'burb, we are expecting temps over 100F. I do wish I were camping...

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950, Sounds like you were attending Ricks, now BYU-Idaho, retired in 2005 after 35 years there.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
WA7NDD, Lived in Rexburg Id, close to you, for a few years way back in the 70's. Your message brings back memories of my many trips to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Beautiful country and great people but too cold for a NC boy 🙂 Enjoy!! 88 here tomorrow on the NC coast.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Glacier NP yesterday. The rangers said that it was clear and 65F at Logan Pass (an inversion) 2 days ago, and in the 45 minutes that it took us to get up there from St Mary it was 37F and thick fog with no views. It then started to snow on the was down. We're heading for Yellowstone next week and the weather is looking much better. We've been running in front of the storm heading south with only an inch or two each night, not the 8-10" predicted at higher elevations.

Edit: The going to the sun highway is closed due to hazardous driving conditions until further notice.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We were just talking about the snow they had in Glacier NP and how we had to run the A/C when we were there this time last year.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously this little snow storm is nothing. It is warming up again after the canadian front moves through. We usually get a serious storm in October then it warms again in November. I usually do some camping in November.

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great time to go
Bob

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
^
LOL!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to believe those zoo animals would treat vehicles and visitors like that. :h