cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone National Park

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Girl 16 got within 4 ft of a buffalo in a herd before being gored. 20 to 30 other tourists were within 50 ft of the buffalo herd. Took a while before rangers could carry the girl away from the herd for medical aid. Fortunately she is still alive. Amazing how many people still think Yellowstone is a petting zoo.
8 REPLIES 8

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
She was reading the riot act to a Ranger about her driver side door which was severely dented... I feel sorry for the Rangers. They have to perform their duties without laughing.

Amen!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Been to YNP several times. I'm still amazed at the number of people that think they're in a petting zoo. I saw the result of a young lady that decided she could drive through a herd of Bison crossing the road. She was reading the riot act to a Ranger about her driver side door which was severely dented. Bison are big animals with pea sized brains and no nerves in their skulls. And Momma Bison had her baby with her.
They used to put the table scraps from the restaurants in a pile along the road for the bears, but people got too close so they could take a picture. Personally, I feel sorry for the Rangers. They have to perform their duties without laughing.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This was a Taiwanese exchange student. Walked up within 4 ft then turned her back on buffalo so her family could take her picture. Buffalo gored her in the back. Lucky to be alive.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was there a few years ago. There was a crowd of Japanese tourists trying to get a picture with a big male buffalo and kept getting closer and closer. The buffalo was pawing the ground and snorting and obviously not happy about it. We left the area.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
These folks should stick to the Disneyworld type entertainment. Let's make believe.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Though the numbers are very sketchy, at least 500 buffalo to upwards of over 1000 were sent to slaughter this winter, many killed by Indian "hunters" when they stepped out of the park into the Stevens Creek/Beatty Gulch area immediately north of the park. It isn't a pretty sight. Maybe the buffs are just trying to get even.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
getting close to a buffalo is not necessarily always a planned event. I was going to one of the pot holes/sulfur pits/boiling infernos/ or watever down a long wooden walkway. a couple of buffalo showed up in the area and crossed the walkway not far away. but yes that girl evidently was taking a selfie or some such.
bumpy

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
There are stories every year about someone getting gored or killed by Grizzly Bears. Can't people read, or are they merely so much smarter than us great un-washed that they believe it will never happen to them. And where the heck were the adults, taking videos of the event to post on U Tube????
John A. Lichty