Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone weather in late May/early June

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,
Planning a trip for late May/Early June to Yellowstone(2016). If anyone could relate their experiences with weather at this time of year it would be greatly appreciated. My DW and I are hoping to miss the large summer crowds by going at this time.
Will also visit Grand Teton and family in Colorado. We will be camping in a 5th wheel and are looking at Fishing Bridge CG.

Thanks,
Mike
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!
15 REPLIES 15

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
31 years ago on the 27th of this month, my brand new husband and I put all of our camping gear into our Datsun pick-up truck and headed west. We hit Yellowstone early June. We couldn't camp because there was too much snow on the ground still. However, daytime temps were somewhere around 55-60. And yes, most definitely be prepared for bugs!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Spring is our favorite time to go...We have been there three times, once in the Fall and twice in the spring...Love it....That time of the year is less crowded and it isn't warm enough for bugs!!

Our favorite way into the park is heading to Colter Bay RV resort and spending a couple of days, the marina has boat rides and a morning cowboy breakfast on one of the islands.

Then we head north through the south entrance of Yellowstone and out the west entrance to Grizzly. We have stayed at Madison (no hookups) and Fishing Bridge (FHU) but we like Grizzly best. We get to go into town if we want to go out to eat or shop. T-shirts are a lot cheaper in West Yellowstone than they are inside the park.

Have a great time....It is our favorite place to go.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
As said prepare for anything. In early June some years back we had 70 in the low elevations and 35 at 8k ft. Storms can blow in on a moments notice so if you hike the back country carry coats and wear the right kind of shoes, NOT sneakers.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to www.weather.com to get the averages for any city/location for any month. Historically the high is around 60 F and freezing at night. You will probably beat the crowds.
You'll know it's cold when the bison are wearing sweaters...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
YELL Lake Weather 7 day

Just keep an eye on us for the next few weeks. Wx has been about normal springtime. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ The link is valid for all areas around the lakeshore...and usually pretty accurate.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Make your 2016 reservations for Fishing Bridge RV Campground now.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone last year early June. We loved every moment and we're going back this year. One of our fondest memories was walking around the geyser trail -near Old Faithful-while it snowed. We had been warned in advance,thanks to this forum,to be prepared-so we were. We wore layers that could easily be tucked in back packs when not needed. We had warm days and cool days and snow days but nothing that stopped us from seeing everything we wanted to see,and it didn't seem to stop anyone else. In my opinion it's a great time of year because the critters are out and moving and the crowds were manageable. We saw buffalo,lots of those,wolves, bears,elk, eagles,otters, pronghorn, moose (Grand Teton's)
We stayed in RV at Fishing Bridge. We made sure to have plenty of blankets for the cold nights but we never felt cold challenged.
Have a great time! The place is amazing as is Grand Teton NP. Only warning....keep your distance from the critters. People get crazy and think the big brown bear can't really run that fast-until it does-and all bets are off. We saw people walking up to within feet of massive buffalo just to get a close up pic. As someone else posted, a young just tourist was gored trying to do that. Bring binoculars and give them space.
Just reread a few posts and I would agree that even when it snowed it really didn't stay on the ground that long-so we were never impeded in our travels at all.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the weather stats for YNP over the last 100+ years. Van Wert is 778 ft. ASL. Yellowstone is 7,938 ft. ASL. Wear shorts and bring a parka. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite time to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton is end of May to 3rd week of June. It just gets too crowded after that and campsites are harder to find without advance reservations, which we avoid. Also we don't tow a car so we need to be there at a time of year when parking for our 24ft MH is easier to get at the attractions.

We have experienced snow in mid-June on several of our visits to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, but it melted quickly the same day. Last year we drove in the south entrance on June 2nd and were surprised to see Lewis Lake still frozen. Lots of snow still in the woods too. When we drove back down to Grand Teton on the 16th the snow in the trees was all but gone and Lewis lake was ice free. The next day we had snow flurries at Grand Teton. As already suggested above, bring layers to be ready for a temperature range - lows down to the 20's at night and up to 80's during warmer days are possible.

We have never needed bug spray at either Park in June.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Tuesday May 19th. You won't need bug spray yet. We're getting rain mixed with hail at 5000 ft near Cody today. Temp is 38 degrees at 5000 ft level in Cody at 7 PM. Suspect colder up in Yellowstone park. Pretty close to normal weather for spring. Late May or earlie June better weather. In June you will see a lot more wild life. As weather warms wild life seems to go to higher elevation. Saw a few earlie bird RVers in Cody Walmart today. (about 4 RVs in Walmart Cody parking area) What do you want to see? Cody has a lot going on around July 4th but pretty warm in the park and see less wild life in the park. JMHO I would plan my trip for June just before the rug rats get out of school. OK OK pick on me but I live here and it is JMHO. Around Cody you can see herds of antelope on the badger basin road but by July they also go to higher elevations. Pocolodi ranch folks, thats us.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd be ready for snow but it probably won't stay on the ground long barring a major storm.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week at Madison CG in early June, 2013. Several nights of 32 degrees. Rain and Sleet one day.
Would I go back at the same time? YES!!!
In fact plans are to return early June 2016.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Take plenty of bug spray.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Iffy, at best. Prepare for anything. Have a great trip!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard