cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone ??????

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone National Park in mid august. We will be traveling in a 38' motorhome towing a 20' enclosed trailer. My questions are this #1) where is a good place to stay that can accommodate my rig size, #2) when should I make my reservations, #3) what is the average weather. Any info would greatly be appreciated. I have been looking on the NPS website and getting info, but I would rather hear it from people that have been there. I had planned on just traveling somewhere different every night but I do not think that is going to be feasible. Anyone got any ideas, we are open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
29 REPLIES 29

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge would be a pita with that trailer. Go to Grizzly, a very nice place.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons three times since 2007.
We love both. This is what works for us.

We usually come in from the South and spend two or three days in the Grand Tetons, Colter Bay RV Resort, FHU and close to the marina.
From there you can visit the park and go to Jackson Hole, take a cruise on the lake.

From there we travel through the South Entrance of Yellowstone and out the West entrance to stay at Grizzly RV Resort, FHU and close to the town and the park entrance. From there you can go into town and eat out or shop. Grizzly also has a laundry.

When we visit Yellowstone we spend very little time at the RV and most of the time visiting the park, so I don't want to have to deal with running the generator or keeping the batteries charged.

This is what works for us. You can check our blog for more details.

IF YOU ARE STAYING AT EITHER OF THESE PARKS MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW. August is a busy time at the park. ENJOY!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
The only campground inside the park with hookups is Fishing Bridge. IIRC, sites are up to 40โ€™, cost is about $50 per night. Sites are double width so you could theoretically park the trailer next to your RV, but it would be a tight fit, probably couldn't extend slides, and would still need a place to park the jeep.

So looks like you need to stay outside the park.

By the way, you probably know from the NPS website that - contrary to an earlier post, - the campgrounds inside the park are NOT twice the cost of others outside. Most are about $25 or less, and all except Fishing Bridge give a 50% discount for senior pass holders.

It is also not correct that only two in the park take reservations. Several more do, all through Xanterra, the concessioner. The NPS has another batch that are first come-first serve, no hookups. The one than can handle the longest rigs is Mammoth near the North Entrance. Mammoth entrance and campground are the only ones open all year.

ClaireOKC
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon what you see. On the south side, Colter Bay is probably your best bet. On the West side (this seems to be most popular for West side) is Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, and on the north side is Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, MT.

The Colter Bay is convenient to Old Faithful and a lot of the geo-thermal things to see which is mostly on the southern half. Grizzly is convenient to both the southern geo-thermal and the Northern Tier for animals, although it is further from both areas, it's probably the most "centrally" located. Yellowstone RV Park is closer to the animals. We're photographers and love the animals so we always stay at Yellowstone and have not looked any further. It is about a mile from the north entrance, but for us a straight shoot into the park, and we're on the northern part of the park early to see what we're there to see.

Yellowstone RV Park has nice showers (a little old, but clean), nice laundry, and if you call early (they open in April 1 for reservations), you can get a spot on the Yellowstone river, which is very nice (bald eagles and osprey hunt the river regularly for fish).

With your rig and length I wouldn't plan on staying inside the park. It will just be too tight and you would probably end up having to encroach on the neighbor's space. When you're there, trek over to Bridge Bay and take a look at the full-hookup sites and you'll be glad you're outside the park.
We'd rather be out traveling, but I still work so we're part-timers.
This is our Facebook page and
CWUAP Blog is where I blog about our trips

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Weather should be warm in mid August. Hard to predict, especially with the changing weather patterns. We live a few miles north of Cody at 5,000 ft. We normally get our last frost first week of June and first frost mid September. Yellowstone being a little cooler due to higher elevation. I suspect you will see less wild life during warmer periods. Like previous post says you will have to search out the wildlife. Listen to the rangers. The wild life is dangerous in the park.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grizzly is our choice...you can walk into town if you like. Lots of stuff in the park for the kids to do too.

Picture Yellowstone as the figure EIGHT with the northern circle having the most wildlife. You'll want to cruise through that area in early morning and/or early evening for best chance of seeing everything. The southern circle contains most of the geysers including Old Faithful. They post the time for OF eruptions so you can pick the best viewing platform for you. I sat down front of the bleachers with the kids while Deb and our older kids sat in the upper dining area of the lodge. Both are excellent for viewing and pictures.

Take your time to tour the park. We visited every side road and nook and cranny. We saw deer, elk, moose, bears, beavers, a nest with 3 baby owls, wolves and of course Bison. Pictures are posted on our blog, but you'll have to scroll backwards to find them. Pictures of Grizzly are on there too. We spent two full weeks touring the park. A geezer card will get you admission to one of the greatest shows on earth.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the scoop on the West Yellowstone KOA. About 6 miles from the west gate. I've always stayed at Grizzly and like it enough that I've never looked for some other park.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Grizzly RV park, west Yellowstone for sure.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got any info on the KOA West Entrance ????
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
We will have our jeep with us. We are looking at either inside or outside the park. Never been there, so we don't know what to really look for. I need 50amp service, and sewer would be nice.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you want to camp inside or outside the park?
Are you particular about hook ups and amenities?

Reserve ASAP once you decide on the park.

Check an almanac or other weather source for possible weather this year. Sometimes it's dry, sometimes you see a flood. Just remember that long range progs are guesstimates of the weather patterns.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
How are you getting around inside the park? I hope there's car in your trailer; a motor home isn't the way to drive around park.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what type of "camping" you like. Some here will say that there are CG's within YNP that will accommodate your rig and trailer but I would have to disagree, with the exception of Bridge Bay. They have large sites up front and a huge parking lot that you may be able to park your trailer in. When we go over, we stay in West Yellowstone and since we prefer CG's, we stay at Baker's Hole, a FS CG 2 miles north of West Yellowstone. They have sites that you will fit in and you can make the turns. There are quite a few pull throughs and most sites have electricity. There is a water fill station at the entrance plus numerous spigots throughout. If you like RV parks, Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone is a super nice place. We've stayed there for a couple of nights either coming or going to dump our tanks, do laundry, and refill. Most sites are pull throughs. The service is super. Free coffee every morning at the clubhouse and within walking distance of town. Another place we've staying within driving distance of YNP is at Colter Bay RV park. Most sites are pull throughs and full hookups. They also have a dry CG side. We've stayed at Flagg Ranch too but that was years ago so I couldn't tell you how it would be for a rig your size.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I was there in '72 and it was fantastic. Saw every kind of animal except bears, unbelievable.

Planning another trip this year probably end of May 2014. This trip will also include Bryce, Zion, Arches, Glacier, Grand Teton plus...?

RV campgrounds within the park are convenient but twice as expensive as outside. I think only two accept RV. Reservations can be made now before they open but will be hard to get later in the year.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
#1 Grizzly Park in West Yellowstone.
#2 ASAP
#3 We had lots of rain in July
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic