cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone ??????

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone National Park in mid august. We will be traveling in a 38' motorhome towing a 20' enclosed trailer. My questions are this #1) where is a good place to stay that can accommodate my rig size, #2) when should I make my reservations, #3) what is the average weather. Any info would greatly be appreciated. I have been looking on the NPS website and getting info, but I would rather hear it from people that have been there. I had planned on just traveling somewhere different every night but I do not think that is going to be feasible. Anyone got any ideas, we are open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
29 REPLIES 29

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
thegriffins wrote:
Yellowstone is one of our favorite destinations! We plan 2 days for each "circle". That is a minimum of 4 days. There is so much to see. You never know what you will stop a look at and for how long. Be sure you drive up to the north entrance and see the rock entrance. There is a small town - Gardiner (I think) - where you can stop and have a huckleberry shake. Have a good time. You will love it. Just don't get in a hurry!

We are really looking forward to going. I had planned on 4 days at the park. We want to see as much as we can in what time we have. We plan on making the best of every minute we have. Thanks for all of the valuable insight on what to plan for and what to expect. It definetly helps making preparations when you have info to help out.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

thegriffins
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is one of our favorite destinations! We plan 2 days for each "circle". That is a minimum of 4 days. There is so much to see. You never know what you will stop a look at and for how long. Be sure you drive up to the north entrance and see the rock entrance. There is a small town - Gardiner (I think) - where you can stop and have a huckleberry shake. Have a good time. You will love it. Just don't get in a hurry!
Live each day as though it were your last!

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there is a sewer dump station near the entrance of the facility.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does FB have a dump other than at the sites? From the pics it looks like the sewer is at the back of the site. Not going to work for us.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some photos of Fishing Bridge RV in Yellowstone:

Fishing Bridge Photos
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ken if I had a Ca-Am I'd tow it backwards behind the MH on a rack for the rear wheel that turns side to side. Messing with a trailer can be a pain. Click on "How I tow" below for why I suggest this.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
coachk wrote:
I have reservations for a 40' site at Fishing Bridge. I'll be towing my Can-Am in a 7 x 12 trailer. I was told it was a double wide site & the trailer could fit beside the camper. Is this true? If not, is there a place in Fishing Bridge campground that I can park my trailer? By the way, I'll be driving a 38' motorhome.
Thanks

The sites at FB are all double wide and paved. We saw Fifth Wheels with good sized trucks parked alongside. All sites are back-in, as I recall, no pull-throughs. They are separated by some trees and shrubs, as well as thick wood posts. At the back of the site is a low concrete box for your sewer. Other RVs are backed into sites directly behind yours so there's not much, if any, wiggle room to the back.

So your RV and trailer will be backed in side by side. If you get the trailer tucked in to the edge of one side of your site, it sounds do-able, but you may not be able to open the RV slides. You could call xanterra and try to get an answer about trailer parking but I don't recall seeing any in 2013.

The office staff determines your location on arrival. When you get there and check in, you might politely explain your scenario to them. We found them really knowledgeable about where to place us, based on a location request we had and what open sites they were working with. They were nice folks, seemed like they'd worked there a long time.

coachk
Explorer
Explorer
I have reservations for a 40' site at Fishing Bridge. I'll be towing my Can-Am in a 7 x 12 trailer. I was told it was a double wide site & the trailer could fit beside the camper. Is this true? If not, is there a place in Fishing Bridge campground that I can park my trailer? By the way, I'll be driving a 38' motorhome.
Thanks

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are so many small side roads and loops, mileage doesn't matter. And in August they're be so many people simply stopped in the middle of the road taking pictures, you just don't worry about distance. Twice we had a Bison decide to wander down the middle of the highway. You just get in line and let him decide how long and how far the next mile is going to take you.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
brianseay1 wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
For this long a trip I'd leave the trailer home and pull your Jeep 4 down. From your picture I cannot tell much about your Jeep but trying to find places for 76' for DP + trailer + Jeep is going to spoil your trip and make it hard to find places to stay... not just in NPs. Why are you putting the Jeep in a trailer when they are one of the easiest to pull?

I was undecided on the vehicle of choice. I was going to put my car in the trailer and bring my HD as well. But now, we have decided to bring the jeep instead. I tow it 4 down where ever we go. After reading the advice on here we think it is a better plan to just leave the bike and car at home. We did get reservations made a Grizzly campground today. So that has been settled. Can anyone tell me the distance of the loops thru the park? We are really looking forward to our trip. Never been there, so this should be a great experience. Thanks for all of the replies, they were very helpful.

Here you go - a map with mileage
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
For this long a trip I'd leave the trailer home and pull your Jeep 4 down. From your picture I cannot tell much about your Jeep but trying to find places for 76' for DP + trailer + Jeep is going to spoil your trip and make it hard to find places to stay... not just in NPs. Why are you putting the Jeep in a trailer when they are one of the easiest to pull?

I was undecided on the vehicle of choice. I was going to put my car in the trailer and bring my HD as well. But now, we have decided to bring the jeep instead. I tow it 4 down where ever we go. After reading the advice on here we think it is a better plan to just leave the bike and car at home. We did get reservations made a Grizzly campground today. So that has been settled. Can anyone tell me the distance of the loops thru the park? We are really looking forward to our trip. Never been there, so this should be a great experience. Thanks for all of the replies, they were very helpful.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA but it's on the higher end in price for a KOA and for that price you might as well stay at Grizzly. As I said before, depends on how you like to camp. For a GREAT FS CG, with electricity - both 30 and 50amp, Baker's Hole and they can accommodate you for $20 a night. No reservations so when it's full, we stay at Grizzly. Take our TV over to Baker's Hole, secure a spot, then come back and get our rig. But Grizzly is nice period to stay at if you like resort style RV parks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. It's a very nice campground. We would hit the West gate at opening time every morning and were treated to the elk grazing in Madison Valley each day and some mornings saw Eagles flying along the Madison River. We took a new driving route each day once inside the park. We never minded the drive into the park and enjoyed the indoor pool in the evenings at the campground. Make reservation NOW no matter where you decide to stay! Things fill up fast!!
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...