Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 Jayco Seneca Solar Installation - Help Required

dunk_0
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently purchased my first RV, a 2006 Jayco Seneca. I race cars and mainly plan to use it at the racetrack, but will also use it several times a year for camping. I'd like to install a battery/inverter/solar system that's capable for limited boondocking, both at the tracks for when power is not easily available, and for camping in remote areas. I installed 4 6v Costco GC batteries in my last trailer, and a simple 1000w inverter to run the fridge, but am looking for something a little more with this setup.

Below I've posted a skeleton of what my current system thoughts are, but there are lots of holes. I'm looking for recommendations on components, vendors, and help to make sure I don't miss anything in my shopping list. I have a fabrication background and am very comfortable doing the installation myself.

Part 1: Batteries.
Currently the coach has two 12v deep cycle batteries located all the way in the rear of the coach. There's not room in the compartment for an additional two batteries, although there's a compartment on the other side that's suitable.

However, I am concerned that four batteries, replacing two, plus a heavy inverter all the way rear in the RV, plus the tongue weight of the trailer, is going to be too much weight. I'm already close to the rear axle limit, even with the weight distribution hitch.

It might be possible to move the batteries to a forward compartment, but some significant bracing will be needed to make the compartment robust enough to support the weight.

2. Inverter. I had planned to use the Magnum MS2000 with the remote monitor and BMK. I'll remove the factory charge converter. There is no factory installed inverter.

3. Subpanel. Paneltronics Circuit Breaker Panel for outlights, microwave, TVs.

4. Solar. Here's where I think I need the most help. I've looked at a few websites, with kits from 160-400 watts, all for around $1000.00. I posted the links below. I'm not sure how much I need, but I'd prefer to build a system with decent bones, so if it turns out I need to add additional capacity I'm not re-purchasing electronics and wire.

As this is my first RV, and first system of this type, any and all advice is appreciated. As I progress with the installation, I plan to document there and post lots of pictures.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/rv-marine

http://bhasolar.com/142.html

http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=108
thanks,

Duncan
22 REPLIES 22

dunk_0
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Batteries added to the rear of the axle will reduce the tongue weight.

Are you going full solar or will you have some sort of generator?

Inverter... my preference is separate components. Inverter - Converter - Transfer switch that can be replaced separately if something fails.

Subpanel is very convenient if you have space and access. I went with multiple transfer switches, one for each circuit powered.

With 4x GC2 I would put you in the 500 watt solar zone. 2x ~250w 24v panels in series feeding a Morningstar TS-MPPT-30 would be my starting point.

It's a motorhome, not a trailer, so the batteries being 10ft behind the rear axle is less than ideal for weight purposes.

I have a 7.5K QD generator installed.

Plenty of space right by the main panel to add a subpanel.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking either 4 100w or 3 150w panels. I need to go climb on the roof and take some measurements, look at possible cable runs.

I looked at your solar thread. Thanks for taking so many great pictures.

Duncan

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Batteries added to the rear of the axle will reduce the tongue weight.

Are you going full solar or will you have some sort of generator?

Inverter... my preference is separate components. Inverter - Converter - Transfer switch that can be replaced separately if something fails.

Subpanel is very convenient if you have space and access. I went with multiple transfer switches, one for each circuit powered.

With 4x GC2 I would put you in the 500 watt solar zone. 2x ~250w 24v panels in series feeding a Morningstar TS-MPPT-30 would be my starting point.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
There are a whole bunch of experienced RV Solar techies that are active on the Tech Issues forum.

You can ask all kinds of questions over there and get lots of useful replies from people that have solar experience. Sometimes they get really "techie" when they dig into some gory details but it's all good.

Ed

dunk_0
Explorer
Explorer
eb145 wrote:
did you see this post?

Members Solar Installations With Pics

Ed

Thanks! That's brilliant.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
did you see this post?

Members Solar Installations With Pics

Ed

dunk_0
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Kits usually have a few weak links, most notably the controller. Solar blvd. has good selection and pricing.

Thanks for the link. Spent some time browsing around the site.

Duncan

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Kits usually have a few weak links, most notably the controller. Solar blvd. has good selection and pricing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tlaffourtit
Nomad
Nomad
I have my batteries under the coach between front and rear tires.
Sue and Tim