cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

32" TV Mount

BatmanXJ
Explorer
Explorer
So wanted to install a bigger TV in my Gulf Stream Conquest 271FSL. I knew there had to be a way that would allow me to do it and it not be in the way to much. I had one of these wall mounts left over from a clearance buy that I done a few months ago.

Tools needed:
Skill Saw
Tape Measure
Square/Straight edge/chalk box
Drill (and bits)
1/4 Impact (or socket set)

Materials needed:
3/4" plywood (I used a 13"X 27")
2" Drywall screws
Wall mount (I used a SANUS SANUS VuePoint F180d) This mount says 47-70" but the bolt pattern is fine for the Samsung 32" and I have my 70" visio in my living room of house on the same model mount so I know its strong. They make a newer style that is identical in all of the ways that would matter to this project. It is around $119 at Walmart. I only paid $30 for mine during a clearance drop.

The only thing I can not provide is my calculations. However I did do a bunch to make sure that where I mounted the wall plate I would have the most motion from the mount and that the TV would still slide to the wall.

This is what I started with. I found out rather quickly that the wall only has studs at the ends.

This was my solution. I cut a piece of 3/4 oak plywood that I had left over from a project. For my use I felt 13 inches tall would be aneough and 27 inches was the perfect width. I pre drilled polite holes and spaced those 2" apart

The mounting was perfect for what I wanted. I spent a while figuring what math would work for the TV to not hit the light, and not be sitting on the table. Once I got that down I had the placement I knew that I wanted the wall plate as far to the right as possible to give me the most motion for it to slide.

So with the TV all the way to the stop it will actually swival around to be able to view from the bunks. This was an unexpected plus.

Would be view from the bunk.

The only thing I have left is making a strap to keep it in place while moving. This is the towing position all folded up and slide to the wall. It sticks about an inch out from the back wall. It could be positioned to where it was flush by pulling the left side towards cabnit.

A few of a bunch of the possible viewing angles.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

5 REPLIES 5

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I did pretty much the same as the OP. 32" screen on articulated mount, attached to plywood backer, plywood fastened into studs. It hasn't moved an /inch in a few years.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've looked at alternate locations to mount a TV in my RV and really don't see any suitable options. If I don't use the original location, the TV will interfere with the slides.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
I'm looking at tackling a TV conversion after Christmas. I have an old style TV mounted in a cubby and want to replace it with a flat screen and sound bar. I'm looking at several options on how to secure the TV in the old 30"x30" opening. The cubby is made from really thin plywood.

There is really no reason to install a modern TV in the same location as your old TV. I installed my new TV in a different location where it was better to view, and use the old location for storage.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking at tackling a TV conversion after Christmas. I have an old style TV mounted in a cubby and want to replace it with a flat screen and sound bar. I'm looking at several options on how to secure the TV in the old 30"x30" opening. The cubby is made from really thin plywood.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks like it should work just fine. You can also paint your back board to more fit in with the wall decor if you like. Probably not so much an issue being hid behind the big TV SET all of the time.

On mine I was not able to find any thing to mount my back board to studs anywhere so I used the MOLLY BOLTS in the four corners of the back board that spreads out behind the thin walls... This was for my 26-inch TV in my fifth wheel...

I leave my large HDTV mounted all the time during the cold winter months. I just make sure the room has warmed up to normal temperatures for a short time before turning on the big TV screen. No problems so far doing this but we don't have extreme temperatures here where we live in Northern Neck Virginia.

Your install Looking good... Thats a big TV set haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS