cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a storage bin

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering my first mod on our new TT and with my limited skill/tools was looking for a fairly easy project. As the trailer is smaller and has limited storage I was considering mounting a storage box for storing less valuable outdoor items ie extra throw away LP bottles, levelers, cords, hoses etc. I was thinking for security and stability using an Aluminum Truck box. The problem is where to mount and how. I though that I have space between the LP tanks and the trailer (in the back of the A frame) where the Battery box is mounted. A long skinny box could probably go in that space in place of the battery box. My questions are:
1) how to separate/protect the battery from other potentially loose items bouncing around in the truck box?
2) how to mount: drill/nut&bolt to A frame or pay someone to spot wield it or big C-clamps?
Has anyone done anything like this or have suggestions?
Thanks
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com
3 REPLIES 3

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's where I keep my level, blocks, and jack:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k530/starmaster1953/North%20Trail%2021FBS/100_1309_zps89b53367.j...

The box was from Lowes, billed as an SUV box. The framing is angle aluminum but angle iron would work. Bumper is rated for 100# per Heartland. Up front wouldn't work since I added a second battery there.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using a metal tool box that fits in the back of a pick up truck, you can use the same method to secure it to the truck bed rails, with a J bolt. The bolt is shaped like a J. The bottom of the J hooks under the lip of the truck bed rail and top of the J goes through a hole drilled in the bottom of the box. Then simply use a washer and the nut and tighten it down. No welding, no drilling in the frame or anything.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
First you have to be concerned about tongue weight and how it may affect your tow vehicle, the TT and towability.

To isolate the battery you would need to build a partition in the box to keep everything away from the battery. Keep in mind batteries do emit fumes that can be toxic as well as explosive so you need to vent the tool box. An option would be to mount a plastic battery box in the tool box and run venting hoses from the battery box to the outside of the tool box.

I carried the kind of stuff you're writing about in my tow vehicle in a wooden box I built.