cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice with new radio please and thanks!

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I am ordering a new radio for my Ford E350 24th class C RV from Crutchfield. When I select the vehicle options, I assume I should choose radios that are compatible with an Econoline? An option for E350 does not exist. This always comes up when ordering things for my RV and Econoline is usually correct but I just thought I would triple check here since you guys always have good info that I some times overlook.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Arrived, replaced and working! Thanks for the advice folks and another positive shout out to Crutchfield for decent prices, free assembly gear, quick service and OUTSTANDING customer service. They even called me personally to make sure I received my tracking number. Who does that? Also, they provide quick and knowledgable tech support over the phone. Easy and done!

I am loving the BT for hands free calling through the external mic and factory speakers and also for streaming music. Good stuff! I highly recommend this easy and with while DIY upgrade.

Next up? Replace my thermostat with a simple digital one. I have heat only, 2 wires so it should be a no brainer... ๐Ÿ™‚

--Jason

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a radio store when mine in the RV died. They wanted over $400 for a new radio!

Went to Walmart and found a whole wall of 'brand name' radios. Picked up a real nice one for $79.00. Installed it myself. Very happy with it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
As always, good stuff! Thanks folks!

-Jason

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
And, if you want to be really sure & have the advantage of their customer support, then just phone the 1-800 number & speak with a customer service rep. I have found them to be a great source of info & they have offered up suggestions that i wouldn't of considered.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Crutchfield is the place to go to get car/truck radios. They include all the adapters and mountings, and supply installation instructions that outline any modifications you might need to make. Have used them when I replaced the radios in 2 cars, 3 trucks, and the MH. Never had an issue and the installations went smoothly.

Jbrowland,
If you use a cell phone, consider getting a BlueTooth equipped radio that will work with your phone. Most states are requiring hands free operation for cell calls.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Make note... the antenna connector has changed... not a "OLD" style connector...

there are 6 New style radio connectors.. for cars/trucks

for my Ford F 250 needed a Chrysler connector for the change to Kenwood.. as the Kenwood still uses the "OLD" style connector.. or replace antenna and wire.

and Best Buy did not have them on the shelf.. but I asked the installer in the back room.. he had all of them back there. as I was installing new radio myself. it is an adaptor.. to connect factory antenna to replacement radio.

Ford radio was am/fm only.. wife wanted "CD" as well. the need for the change.

ronfisherman
Looks like Econoline is the only selection for a Ford E series. Is there a difference in interiors from a E350 to E450. I have gotten good info from some of the techs at Crutchfeild on my C5500. Others seem to have no clue what is need for a truck. But I would recommend a call to them.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup.
E350 van is what to look for when replacing equip/parts.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using the "what fits my car?" feature at Crutchfield? I don't think you could go wrong choosing the Econoline as the model but you could compare some other Ford package features with your RV and then use that package as a base line and insert it into "What fits my car". AFAIK, that part of Crutchfield selects the DIN size and any adapters needed, controls within the head unit for locks, alarms, and other accessories, and anything passed through the head unit, electrically, for the vehicle. Of course, it also selects speaker sizes and types if you're shopping for that.

In most unsophisticated vehicles, choice of head unit is easy. Choosing one for, say, a Jaguar or other sports car can be treacherous. I own an F-250 and have a Pioneer aftermarket head unit installed. It was easy to do and selection was bog standard.

Good luck with the installation. BTW, there are adaptor harnesses sold to mate most aftermarket head units to the vehicle's original plugs. I'd suggest to get one, it makes everything very easy.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton